Mobo upgrade..

topslop1

May 8, 2004
I'm coming from a Ryzen 7 1700 on an ASRock X370 SLI/ac

After a fresh format and another 16gb of ram, computer will not carry me past booting up Windows before it shuts off.

I've pulled the ram, I've overvolted, I've reduced my overclock, no avail. This board never ran my ram at anything faster than 2800-2900mhz and had a hard time at that.

Time for an upgrade / replacement of the board, not quite ready to move (money wise) on a new processor.

Would a $100ish dollar X470 chipset board firstly support my chip, and be a good forward jump that would still support the new Ryzen's that are coming out in a few weeks?

Thought process is get the computer up and running with 3200mhz on the ram, enjoy it for a few months, and then put the money out for a new Ryzen chip later in the year.

Caveats?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Your issue could very well be the CPU not the motherboard. I would replace the CPU before the motherboard honestly, unless you are sure the motherboard is defective. What troubleshooting have you done?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The board may still be covered under warranty, so unless you just want to move to something else to run faster memory anyway I would just do that. Ran into a similar issue with my B350 board and the board that got sent back was totally fine.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Now you are thinking things through properly. One of my boxen has a Asrock x370 k4 and it would not run the ram at even the XMP profile OOB. Did the bridge BIOS then newest BIOS and was able to run the ram its rated speed. The first gen Ryzen are definitely finicky about ram, so if swapping boards or BIOS updates is not the answer, send the 1700 back to AMD and see if you do better in the silicon lottery.

And to be clear, you swapped ram, not added another 16GB, correct?

topslop1

May 8, 2004
I did add another 16GB for a 32GB total (of same ram type but one mfg in 2017 and the other in 2019), but I pulled the new ram and kept the original 16gb in there to try to run the system stably again and still had issues. Stock clock, juiced voltages for both ram and proc and still not stable to boot.

Does point more towards a CPU than a motherboard issue doesn't it? I'm going to pull the battery on the mobo, reset things, and give it another go with the original 16gb.

topslop1

May 8, 2004
The chip still under warranty after 2 ish years? I build this guy I think summer 2017.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The chip still under warranty after 2 ish years? I build this guy I think summer 2017.
Retail boxed come with 3yr warranty so you should be able to get it replaced. And as to the troubleshoot, maybe? The IMC could be flaky now. Since that board is supposed to support Zen 2, if the CPU is the problem, a replacement will hold you over until you are ready to buy a new CPU.

Definitely the most economical upgrade path for you.

Reactions: topslop1

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah. I've had "iffy" ASRock AM4 boards (had one AB350M Pro4, kind of a cheap-o board, full-featured, but somewhat cheaply constructed, and later ASRock UEFI's never seemed fully stable. Or maybe I cooked it mining, and the VRMs became toast, and it's not ASRock's fault at all).

I would advise getting a new board, possibly a Gigabyte. That's what I did, and now I'm happy.

If you can, and don't want to shell out for new parts, try to get your existing ones RMA'ed.

Try clearing the CMOS first, though. And updating to the newest BIOS, or maybe one a few versions back, that had AGESA 1.0.0.6 (or 1.0.0.6a), those were some of the most stable for 1st-gen Ryzen CPUs.