MMO Events & Freebies

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I checked our Marvel. It wasn't too bad. I logged in the second day this morning just before the sale ended - I didn't realize there were daily rewards.

The monetization seems a bit much though, normal for a F2P. All the 'buy chests and potions to find better loot' type stuff.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I checked our Marvel. It wasn't too bad. I logged in the second day this morning just before the sale ended - I didn't realize there were daily rewards.

The monetization seems a bit much though, normal for a F2P. All the 'buy chests and potions to find better loot' type stuff.

They push boosts, but you can safely play the whole story line without using a single boost. It's not like a browser or phone game where you "run out of stamina" after playing too long.

Through the evening of 7/4 you get 50 cake slices a day for logging in. 365 slices gets you an extra free hero unlock. You get more slices as you play through the story so if you spent some time playing your first hero unlock this weekend you could easily earn the second one (your choice, any hero or villain except Ultron).

Also, the day 4 (I think) login reward is 400 "Eternity Splinters" currency, and for 175 splinters you can get a random hero unlock. So you could get 2 more random hero unlocks that way.

Besides hero unlocks, the real way they attack your wallet is selling bank space for gear, and the other costumes for your favorite hero.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Besides the free cake they gave, Ill have close to 1500 slices from the daily box, so close to making 4 more cakes.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
They push boosts, but you can safely play the whole story line without using a single boost. It's not like a browser or phone game where you "run out of stamina" after playing too long.

Through the evening of 7/4 you get 50 cake slices a day for logging in. 365 slices gets you an extra free hero unlock. You get more slices as you play through the story so if you spent some time playing your first hero unlock this weekend you could easily earn the second one (your choice, any hero or villain except Ultron).

Also, the day 4 (I think) login reward is 400 "Eternity Splinters" currency, and for 175 splinters you can get a random hero unlock. So you could get 2 more random hero unlocks that way.

Besides hero unlocks, the real way they attack your wallet is selling bank space for gear, and the other costumes for your favorite hero.

Thanks for the points. It's unclear if the promotion ended this morning - yesterday it said 'tomorrow you get day 3 epic equipment reward'. I'll log in and see.

Ya, in playing just for a few hours, before level 10 I'd already filled the space and was throwing gear on the ground to make room until I found a merchant to sell some.

All kinds of 'crafting goods' and such taking up space.

There are two items that are requisition logs for promotion rewards that sell for 1000 each - I wasn't sure whether to sell them.

Also several things like cupcakes with bonuses it seems better to wait to use instead of getting better level 10 gear.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
For the shield delivery invoices and other gear you don't want, the best thing to do is go to the Crafter. There is one in each hub, in Avengers Tower it is Hank Pym, go to the right of the portal / central area, through the glass doors, then down to the right. Instead of selling the items, alt + right click to "donate" them instead. This levels up your reputation with the crafter and unlocks new crafting recipes.

Do save the 5 crafting mats and the Matrix of Unbinding. They all stack and are needed for endgame recipes if you like the game enough to keep playing.

Yes, save the cupcakes for later. They are free boosts that will still be usable after the anniversary ends at midnight on July 4.

You can donates all the rings, medallions, insignias that you aren't using. They are easily replaced.

The giant chest of drawers to the right of the portal is your bank space (S.T.A.S.H.) -- I'm not sure how much space new players get now since I first played back in 2014.

Things to consider saving besides the crafting mats are "artifacts", "uniques", "legendaries", costumes. For artifacts you can compare two of them to see which one has the higher numbers then donate the other.

If you want more STASH space, through Monday you can get extra tabs of them for $3.50. You can also save up 365 cake slices to get a stash tab, though if you only have enough for one thing the hero token is worth more.

Also consider the $2.49 Civil War DLC on Steam to unlock Captain America and Iron Man, plus get extra costumes for them and hero-specific-gear STASH tabs for them.

For gear, besides donating you can also feed them to Lucky to level up the pup. Once he's eaten enough of each rarity of gear he gives you a bonus like 8% more health or 2% less damage from bosses. You can feed Lucky by hand or using the J vacuum command or by using ESCape > Options > Gameplay and using the sliders for gear slots 1-5 to turn on "vaporizing" of that rarity. You should be able to set it to vaporize at least Rare (blue) gear so you only ever see purple (epic), yellow (cosmic), gold-brown (unique) gear. Lucky chows down on the vaporized gear.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Neverwinter Summer festival ends on 7/21.

STO giving away a uniform for log ins between 7/21 and 7/25.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
unless you really care to do some of the events for currency to get mostly cosmetic stuff, not much really. They've had some sales but very little for someone looking at the free giveaways.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Sometimes I watch for bargains for a casual player to try a game, like the Marvel steam sale on two heroes for $2.49.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
LOTRO summer festival has started, do daily quest to get a free mount & outfit along with other items.

Neverwinter has released on the PS4, log on during launch celebration for a free mount.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Marvel Heroes free random hero unlock and random costume when you log in:

"Starting this Thursday at noon pacific, we will be having a special weekend event!

200% Bonus Experience
Cosmic Prestige Bonus
Omega Leveling Bonus

These bonuses will be active from Noon on 7/21 and end at 11:59pm 7/25. All components of Cosmic Chaos aside from the Cosmic Prestige bonus will be turning off at 12:00 am 7/22.

Also, during this weekend event, be sure to log in for a FREE Random Hero Box and a Random Costume Box! Yay free!"

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Starts August 12, 04:20 PT / 07:20 ET
Ends August 15, 04:20 / 07:20 ET

Win a match during the above and get a free T45 and garage slot in WoT.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Starts August 12, 04:20 PT / 07:20 ET
Ends August 15, 04:20 / 07:20 ET

Win a match during the above and get a free T45 and garage slot in WoT.
Skill-based not a straight giveaway eh? Does a Tanks n00b with free starter gear have any chance of doing that?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'll have to wait till I log on and check, sometimes they have a minimum tier level for these special events. Otherwise it can be quite a crapshot on how rest of your team performs. Unless you're real unlucky, shouldn't be more than 3-4 matches at most to get a win.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Star Trek Online - Temporal Recruitment Event - must complete a few hours of play before Wednesday

If you've been thinking of trying STO or coming back to it, this is a good time to do it.

What you need to do is create a new TOS faction captain (The Original Series - Kirk, Spock, etc.) then play through the first 6 episodes and complete the (( MAJOR PLOT SPOILER event )) . At that point your captain becomes a Temporal Recruit and gets bonus gear, credits, XP, account unlocks as you level up.

You can take as long as you want to level up, you just need to play 5-10 hours to complete the initial episodes before the 8/24 deadline.

Note the TOS captains are a new sub-faction of the Federation. If you create a regular Federation captain instead of a TOS captain they will not become a Temporal Recruit and will not get the level-up bonuses.

As part of the TOS experience you'll play some new episodes with voice acting by Chekov (Walter Koenig) set in the TOS era.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This just for new players?

No, it requires creating a new character / captain but you do not need to be a new player or create a new account if you have an old one.

The new captain must be the 23rd century TOS sub-faction not the 25th century Federation. This new character will get a bunch of extra freebies as they level up and complete things like story episode sets. They will eventually also earn account-wide unlocks for any other characters you have now or create later.

Your TOS captain only needs to complete the 23rd century episodes and reach the point when they are awarded their temporal agent communicator. After that you can take as much time as you want to level up and earn the other rewards.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Did that last time they had this, not sure I care to again.

The content you need to play through before Wednesday (to be a Temporal Agent) is a set of 23rd century TOS episodes. This is a sub-faction so the only way you can see these episodes is by creating a TOS captain. So if you like TOS there's no reason not to create the character now, even if you don't decide to fully level it later.

The Temporal Recruit tasks are similar to the Delta Recruit (find probes vs. find secrets, play through the story). There's also some other tasks to level up reputations, crafting, duty officer missions but you can take months or years to do that if you want. The only deadline is for the first 6 episodes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No, it requires creating a new character / captain but you do not need to be a new player or create a new account if you have an old one.

The new captain must be the 23rd century TOS sub-faction not the 25th century Federation. This new character will get a bunch of extra freebies as they level up and complete things like story episode sets. They will eventually also earn account-wide unlocks for any other characters you have now or create later.

Your TOS captain only needs to complete the 23rd century episodes and reach the point when they are awarded their temporal agent communicator. After that you can take as much time as you want to level up and earn the other rewards.

So the player characters in this game are the actual TOS, TNG characters? Does this mean that the main lobbies have dozens of Shatners running around, wearing special event Bahama shorts and drinking Tom Collins equippables? :D

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
:) not quite. You do get the gold shirt + black pants, the TOS era phaser rifle and pistols, the classic 60s sound effects. Chekov shows up but he is not part of your crew and your 23rd century ship is not the Enterprise.

Shatner has not done any voice acting for the game, but Koenig & Nimoy did, along with Michael Dorn from TNG + DS9 and several from Voyager (Tuvok, Kim, The Doctor, 7 of 9, Neelix).

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Did that last time they had this, not sure I care to again.

If it makes any difference, I find the TOS missions to be much more enjoyable than the Delta events and the rewards are much better this time around IMO. Plus you only have to do it once to get all the rewards, unlike last time. Also worth mentioning that after completing the new content, it's basically a straight Federation character. So you're not wasting time making a KDF toon you'll never use.