Mistakes made so far in this war ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The mistake I find most unbelievable is:
Forgetting that Iraqis read about Francis Marian... who fought the red coats in the most dishonorable of manners.. he actually hid behind trees and wore buckskins... What.... our generals figured the Iraqi milatary was going to march in quick step with fixed bayonettes saying OUT OUT you imperialist capitalists and get blown away by smart bombs... dumb!

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: HJD1

What.... our generals figured the Iraqi milatary was going to march in quick step with fixed bayonettes saying OUT OUT you imperialist capitalists and get blown away by smart bombs... dumb!

I'm sure that's what they were expecting.

I'm amazed they managed to attack the right country.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: ManSnake
Originally posted by: ManSnake
Originally posted by: NightTrain
If 3 burglars break into my house with armloads of weapons, I won't shoot my kids.

If 3 burglars broke into my house, I would use any means necessary to make them pay.

edit: the biggest mistake in this war? by starting it in the first place by our gung ho administration.

I'd call the sheriff.... and the coroner. Nah... I'd read some poetry to them, make some Irish breakfast tea, you know break bread.. sorta

The police stations in Iraq are all bombed, so I have to take matters into my own hands!

Your castle your kindom your rules... I wouldn't even file a complaint over the noise...

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A lot of honor goes out the window when you're grossly outmatched.

If you can come up with a reasonable explanation for why they are mortaring their own people fleeing a beseiged city, I'm all ears. Just be sure and check for fleas when you get up.

Maybe they want them to stay and fight? A deserter type of thing.

That's my first guess anyway.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

What.... our generals figured the Iraqi milatary was going to march in quick step with fixed bayonettes saying OUT OUT you imperialist capitalists and get blown away by smart bombs... dumb!

I fell off my chair laughing over this one... good point! My brother in law is a retired army west pointer who now is in the athletic dept of FSU a great golfer...

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
"Mistakes made so far in this war?" How about this:

Saddam Hussein not going into exile. If he truly loved his country, he would have left.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
A lot of honor goes out the window when you're grossly outmatched.

If you can come up with a reasonable explanation for why they are mortaring their own people fleeing a beseiged city, I'm all ears. Just be sure and check for fleas when you get up.

Maybe they want them to stay and fight? A deserter type of thing.

That's my first guess anyway.

"The crowd was halfway across the concrete and steel span of the bridge, men, women and children screaming as they fled the machine-gun and mortar fire from Iraqi positions in Basra."

The poster makes a valid point. I've re-evaluated my position and absolve the Iraqi soldiers of any blame in this matter. Although a case could be made that the Iraqi regime is quite desperate to prevent the mass-exodus from Basra of all of it's human shield cannon-fodder, clearly an equal case can be made that he's doing what's in the best interests of Iraq and it's people. These dastardly hordes of deserting children cannot be left to continue unabated. What could be more "reasonable" than that?

With this particular bit of idiocy concluded, it's time to hit the sack.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So there were men running away to from your quote right? But you want to make it out like it was only children?

I'm not saying it's right, but their country is being invaded.

If a vastly superior army was invading the US what would you do to defend the country?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So there were men running away to from your quote right? But you want to make it out like it was only children?

If a vastly superior army was invading the US what would you do to defend the country?

I would have avoided the fight completely.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I was a bit confused at Bush and Co.'s strategy of talking about "SHOCK AND AWE" for a while leading up to this war. Talking about how the psychological effects will be so overpowering that the majority of Saddam's military will just give up because they'll know they have no chance.

Here's my take. DON'T TALK ABOUT. If you want to shock them, talking about it for a month, talking about what it'll do, then announcing to the media that it is coming soon is not the best way to keep your enemy off guard. Its like watching a horror movie. If you know what's coming around the corner you're not going to be scared of it, more then likely your mind will think up something worse then it really is, so when it does happen you can say, oh well, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Hell, the Iraqi government basically made fun of our stupid little term, saying (and this was after we hit) that their soldier's resolve will "shock and awe" us.

Made no sense.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

LOL!

I have heard that so often from the South Vietnamese civilians during the Vietnam War, as to how the bumbling South Administration repeatedly screwed up.

:)

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

Tell that to your founding fathers that fought the English.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Well... move all the women and children to the front of course... followed closely by Lawyers, Congress, Long hair Hippy types and the odd computer nerd... unless we're invaded on a tuesday when of course Congress is not in session yet and it would be a logistic nightmare to round them up... Intel loses track of them all the time.. and the little black book is lost...

:)

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Yes, I have been a Canadian since 1984, but before that I was a Vietnamese living through the Vietnam war. And, I have seen young men, the old, childrens and babies died because of war.

There is no just war, just more money for the rich that bring the war to the peasants.

You don't think that little skirmish in your homeland was just? OK. either way.. just war has underlying it a basic premise that may be inconsistant with the breath of the peasant's understanding. We figure (I) that when given freedom even the peasant will enjoy life in the manner we (I) do... as, I assume, you do now... at least I hope so.[/quote]

If I were to respond to my post I'd say .... yeah but, freedom don't matter if your dead. OR All you did was help Vietnamese kill Vietnamese... we lost millions you lost what 55,432 no thanks...
In two minds at times...[/quote]
The death is one large part of war, but just about as detrimental is the scar that the survivors have to deal with...is something that may take decades to heal.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007
1. Allowing Iraqi TV to stay on the air ( nothing like seeing the civilian casulties used as propagnada by Iraq plus they inflame the arab street )

2. Telephone lines still working ( I hate those videophone reports anyway )

3. Using 300,000 troops instead of the orignal planned 600,000 recommended by General Franks

4. Turkey: what good is having Nato allies if they don't help in time of need, not having a division coming from the North is hurting the campaign.

5. ....
#1.
Affecting the Civilian Infrastructure is a violation of The Genva Convention, but hey, WE don't have to obey INTERNATIONAL LAW, now do we? :disgust: It would be a mistake to knock it out. That would be a war crime, even when we "win".
Videophones are Sat.Com devices.
Using all US Forces instead of a multi-national coalition..... OH YEAH, NO ONE ELSE with an ARMY is with us.... Norwegian AF and British forces not withstanding.
We should keep a gun on Turkey as well. They are just waiting to take out the Kurd's.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: lowtech
Originally posted by: charrison

Tell that to your founding fathers that fought the English.
My founding fathers DID fight the English.... IN ENGLAND! and IN Scotland! and they are still not out from under the thumb of a conquering nation.
It's hard for countries to let go of land they have taken by force.
I wonder how long the "provisional government" will be in charge.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Yes, I have been a Canadian since 1984, but before that I was a Vietnamese living through the Vietnam war. And, I have seen young men, the old, childrens and babies died because of war.

There is no just war, just more money for the rich that bring the war to the peasants.

You don't think that little skirmish in your homeland was just? OK. either way.. just war has underlying it a basic premise that may be inconsistant with the breath of the peasant's understanding. We figure (I) that when given freedom even the peasant will enjoy life in the manner we (I) do... as, I assume, you do now... at least I hope so.

If I were to respond to my post I'd say .... yeah but, freedom don't matter if your dead. OR All you did was help Vietnamese kill Vietnamese... we lost millions you lost what 55,432 no thanks...
In two minds at times...[/quote]
The death is one large part of war, but just about as detrimental is the scar that the survivors have to deal with...is something that may take decades to heal.[/quote]

It is the objective of war (death). The general population is collateral and therefore irrelevant. When one goes to war it ought to be after much thought and to win. If I could remove the scars of the Vietnamese I would... along with my memories of that place. I never could figure out why we were there.... I still can't. I think it would have been better if Kennedy had lived. Or if Johnson had not reversed Kennedy's decision to remove the observers and add agazillion more. I have not met one Viet Nam expatriot who thought our involvement was good. But, having said that, I'd go again.... despite the horror. I am an American and not likely to change.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

You don't think that little skirmish in your homeland was just? OK. either way.. just war has underlying it a basic premise that may be inconsistant with the breath of the peasant's understanding. We figure (I) that when given freedom even the peasant will enjoy life in the manner we (I) do... as, I assume, you do now... at least I hope so.

In two minds at times...
The death is one large part of war, but just about as detrimental is the scar that the survivors have to deal with...is something that may take decades to heal.[/quote]

It is the objective of war (death). The general population is collateral and therefore irrelevant. When one goes to war it ought to be after much thought and to win. If I could remove the scars of the Vietnamese I would... along with my memories of that place. I never could figure out why we were there.... I still can't. I think it would have been better if Kennedy had lived. Or if Johnson had not reversed Kennedy's decision to remove the observers and add agazillion more. I have not met one Viet Nam expatriot who thought our involvement was good. But, having said that, I'd go again.... despite the horror. I am an American and not likely to change.[/quote]
You are not alone in this. I'm sure that many of your good country men felt the samething about your administration & why they were in Vietnam. And, then there are 10 of millions of Vietnames have made peace with with the post war drama, but many millions of exodust Vietnamese still questioning as to why the French/American were there.

I personally wouldn't know what to do if I were in your position, but I think I would move to Canada if I were caLL upon to fight a war that I don't believe in.

I have many friends that call me a cower, because I would run instead of fighting for my country. I rather be called a cowered than take up arm to kill another human that I don't believe threatening my family or way of life.