Mississippi Initiative 26 - Changing the definition of Personhood

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm kind of surprised that this topic isn't already being discussed on ATPN. Here in Mississippi at least, it is by far the most fierce political debate I've ever seen. People are driving trucks with pictures of aborted fetuses, destroying signs, arguing in public, it's definitely interesting.

Initiative 26 would amment the MS Constiution by adding Section 33:
-
Person defined. As used in this Article III of the state constitution, “The term ‘person’ or ‘persons’ shall include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the functional equivalent thereof.
-
Source

The actual question is worded:
-
Should the term 'person' be defined to include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the equivalent thereof?
-
Source

Voter turnout should be very high if the "buzz on the street" is any indication. I found the wording on the "Yes" side to be highly charged (I'm against the initiative): http://yeson26.net/amendment-26/frequently-asked-questions/

Anyway, I thought this would be a lively topic for ATPN. My apologies if it's already been discussed. I couldn't find it in the search.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Implicit legalization of cloning, sounds fun, that should set some Christians to foaming at the mouth.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Awesome, might as well claim 20 dependents on your taxes, since you can't predict how many time will a zygote split. Same thing for wellfare.

Last edited:

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Implicit legalization of cloning, sounds fun, that should set some Christians to foaming at the mouth.

It would also classify all abortion doctors as murderers. There's a nice can of worms just waiting to be opened.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Well, if this initiative passes it will only solidify Mississippi as the worst state in the US. There's a reason that even the other southern states (Georgia here) look down on Mississippi as hick.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In Football speak, this is the classic "end around" to try to circumvent existing abortion laws.

A Woman who had a miscarriage would be charged with a Felony with this Draconian Law.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It would also classify all abortion doctors as murderers. There's a nice can of worms just waiting to be opened.

... not to mention all the other unintended consequences that the morons pushing this don't think of. Unbelievably stupid initiative to be sure.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
What if its a gay baby?

Outrage_2.png

Oct 30, 2004
Mississippi is a national embarrassment. Maybe we should boot it out of the country, and Mississipians could then change the state's name to "Jesusland' and establish an Iranian-style Christian theocracy.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Woman who had a miscarriage would be charged with a Felony with this Draconian Law.

That was my first thought on reading this. and is having sex with a pregnant women rape of the other "person?" or just assault?

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
Mississippi resident here, and I will be voting no on this initiative. Abortion due to rape or incest will become illegal. Certain birth controls will also be banned.

The biggest issue I have is the Baptist churches that are persuading their congration to vote yes on this initiative. If a church wants to influence political decisions, they should pay taxes.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
As the fattest state in the US, I'm not surprised at all that such an initiative would get traction there.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Mississippi is a national embarrassment. Maybe we should boot it out of the country, and Mississipians could then change the state's name to "Jesusland' and establish an Iranian-style Christian theocracy.

If Louisiana would shift 100 miles west and Alabama shift 100 miles east maybe Mississippi can just slip into the Gulf of Mexico and we can be done with them.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm kind of surprised that this topic isn't already being discussed on ATPN. Here in Mississippi at least, it is by far the most fierce political debate I've ever seen. People are driving trucks with pictures of aborted fetuses, destroying signs, arguing in public, it's definitely interesting.

Initiative 26 would amment the MS Constiution by adding Section 33:
-
Person defined. As used in this Article III of the state constitution, “The term ‘person’ or ‘persons’ shall include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the functional equivalent thereof.
-
Source

The actual question is worded:
-
Should the term 'person' be defined to include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the equivalent thereof?
-
Source

Voter turnout should be very high if the "buzz on the street" is any indication. I found the wording on the "Yes" side to be highly charged (I'm against the initiative): http://yeson26.net/amendment-26/frequently-asked-questions/

Anyway, I thought this would be a lively topic for ATPN. My apologies if it's already been discussed. I couldn't find it in the search.

BTW - Romney was asked about this in an interview with Huckabee (figures) and he said he would push for this nationally. Later a woman came up to him and said to you realize this would effectively ban the birth control pill. Romney looked clueless. I'll post clip later.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Religious assholes at it again, pushing their beliefs on others.

Abortion opinions are not based only on religion.

Personally, I think life starts when there is a heart beat and brain activity. Its the same standard that doctors use in hospitals.

Someone comes into the emergency room from a car wreck, do they have a heart beat? Yes or No. From there, is there brain activity, that is checked by looking at the pupils with a light.

I feel that the standard used outside the womb should apply to anything inside the womb.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So embryos that are frozen for future implantation would be considered "detained"? Would they become dependents? Would they get a vote if they were kept on ice of 18 years?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Abortion opinions are not based only on religion.

Personally, I think life starts when there is a heart beat and brain activity. Its the same standard that doctors use in hospitals.

Someone comes into the emergency room from a car wreck, do they have a heart beat? Yes or No. From there, is there brain activity, that is checked by looking at the pupils with a light.

I feel that the standard used outside the womb should apply to anything inside the womb.

Oh brother not this shit againo_O

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
I'm wondering if this would really make abortion equivalent to murder. Depending on the method, you're not so much killing the embryo as you are removing it from life support - at which point it dies. Is removing someone from life support considered murder in Mississippi? I've been looking through the statutes and I can find no mention of it.

Edit: In fact the entire section (41-41-101 through 41-41-121) that dealt with the legality or illegality of removing a person from life support seems to have been repealed. It seems like that leaves it in a gray area.

Last edited: