Mississippi Initiative 26 - Changing the definition of Personhood

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I think Mississippi ought to amend their constitution to require an oath that includes placing one's left hand on a copy of the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible.

The fundamental rights of the people articulated or determined to be implied in the US Constitution cannot be subordinated by the States regardless of the wants of the folks living in the States.

Roe is the current law in this matter.

The Christian belief system includes the bible to be the word of God. In it are some interesting concepts and laws... Leviticus suggests stoning for adultery but we don't attempt to enforce that... not all the preachers would survive that event so I can understand why. I further understand there exists an absence of the rights of the woman in the bible and perhaps it is why the ERA (equal rights amendment) failed to pass...

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
According to science a woman is pregnant when a fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall and begins growing.

This personhood law would redefine pregnancy and I'm not sure Mississippi can do that.

That's like saying a state can pass a law defining the color of the sky green.

Your so silly...Republican's have their own version of Science and reality. :awe:():)

Oct 30, 2004
Abortion opinions are not based only on religion.

It almost always boils down to faith that a God-being exists and that it "breathes" a "soul" into the egg at conception.

Personally, I think life starts when there is a heart beat and brain activity. Its the same standard that doctors use in hospitals.

What about animals? They have heartbeats and brain activity. Should we afford them a right to pursue life, too?

What if it could be shown that an adult cat had higher intelligence and a higher level of consciousness than a newborn infant? Would you support cats rights?

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
C'mon, just let them figure out when there's brain activity, something they can measure on an EEG. I think I read somewhere that it's ~16 weeks. Hell, surely someone can decide within 4 months if they're going to have the baby, right? Of course, put in clauses that if a woman's life is in danger, she can abort at any time. Or if the baby will be severely handicapped she can terminate the pregnancy at a much later date. This doesn't have to be such a big argument.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm not going to bother to read hickville central legislation sponsored by the Baptist church, but I was wondering, will there be crimes against masterbastion? I mean there goes "seed" a potential for life being "spilt" and wasted.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I'm not going to bother to read hickville central legislation sponsored by the Baptist church, but I was wondering, will there be crimes against masterbastion? I mean there goes "seed" a potential for life being "spilt" and wasted.

God gets quite irate. :sneaky:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Do you do not believe in democracy or the will of the people.....got it.

Like I said, I may or may not agree with the result but the state is entitled to run itself however it sees fit (within the constitution) and if that involves driving itself off a cliff (like CA and cap & tax) more power to them.

This is the type of shit that makes America great. If you don't like how Mississippi is handling its shit THEN DON'T LIVE THERE.

I don't believe that "the will of the people" can decide everything. It makes no more sense than Indiana trying to legally define pi as 3.2 back in the 1800s.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Don't see why anyone should have a problem with a state making a decision that is in its best interest.

If this is what the people of Mississippi want, why should the rest of the country or the federal government have the power to tell them otherwise?

Considering that Mississippi gets more government welfare than any other state in the union, maybe the other states could then tell them to go fuck off and fend for themselves also?

I'm mean, why should Mississippi get the right to tell the other states that they have to prop up its economy while it tells them to mind their own business while they govern the worst educated, the least healthy and most obese population in America?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
According to science a woman is pregnant when a fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall and begins growing.

This personhood law would redefine pregnancy and I'm not sure Mississippi can do that.

That's like saying a state can pass a law defining the color of the sky green.

The new law makes it illegal to make the uterine wall inhospitable for life.

That means any form of birth control that disrupts the uterus.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-mississippis-personhood-law-could-outlaw-birth-control-212609540.html

"Yes on 26" members also write on their website that the group is opposed to birth control methods, "which act to prevent implantation of the newly formed human into the lining of the womb."

They include in this category some forms of the pill and other hormonal drugs, as well as IUDs.

In fact, Gilboa said, if 26 defines personhood from the moment when sperm meets egg, any birth control method that theoretically allows sperm and egg to meet could be outlawed.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Looks like this thing has a chance of passing.

If it does it will backfire on the GOP since Mitt has already said he would support it nationwide.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Wake me up when its illegal to jizz into a kleenex

Edit: i do feel bad for them, but are they really bilogically much different then a fertilized egg?

Last edited:

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
The extremists who put this shit on the ballot have no sense, no compassion. They are terrorists no different than Al Qaeda. If this crap passes today, we need to kick Mississippi out of the US tomorrow. Or nuke them back to the stone age where they want to be.

What would happen to a woman with an ectopic pregnancy?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Confirmed! The initiative fails! Roughly 58% NO, 42% YES with about 70% of the votes counted.

We Mississippians have plenty to be embarrassed about, but thank goodness this isn't one of them.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Thank god

Hope this kills it off for good. Just because it wiggles and moves and comes out of my penis, doesn't mean it's a damn person yet.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Confirmed! The initiative fails for 55% NO, 45% YES.

We Mississippians have plenty to be embarrassed about, but thank goodness this isn't one of them.

Uh oh!! What are the all elitist southern bashers here going to say now? Many were already ready to bring out the typical southern stereotypes if the initiative passed. Some were already engaging in stereotyping.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thank god

Hope this kills it off for good. Just because it wiggles and moves and comes out of my penis, doesn't mean it's a damn person yet.

Could you imagine how badly the court system would have been plugged up if all their prison inmates who got caught jacking off where charged with a murder???

LMFAO

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
Woohoo!

There is hope for that State! You know what really would be hilarious if Mississippi went from Red to Blue in 2012. :D

That won't happen. Our state typically flip flops Republican and Democratic governors. It didn't happen this time.