Mini-ITX Thread :D

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PhoenixOfWater

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
hmm... may be..
I know that VIA is looking for ppl to code drives for linux that will use the mpeg2 decoder chip...

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
I'd very much like to deploy a Neimiah-based ITX board as a sort of "house computer" (HTPC, house controller, etc) but so far, I haven't seen any discussion about video encoding options for PVR-type applications? To me, video/music playback is only part of the HTPC equation...gotta be able to encode too! Presumably the Neimiah C3 is far too weak to do any sort of realtime video encoding so I'd have to find a PCI card that does it instead. What sorts of affordable PCI video encoding hardware are there? Does the WinTV stuff do the encoding on-card or does it depend on the CPU?

PhoenixOfWater

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
What sorts of affordable PCI video encoding hardware are there? Does the WinTV stuff do the encoding on-card or does it depend on the CPU?

This sound more for the video forum... You get a a faster and better replay...

I have never use any WinTV cards and I think all encoding is done by the CPU...(I could be wrong I really don't know)
so i don't think any PCI card will help with encoding.
My plans are to use my Mini-ITX system to play files that I encode on my other computer..
I know the mobo will be fine encoding MP3 and ogg files maybe a bit slow but it will do the job just fine.

I hope this helps....

Solscud007

Apr 24, 2003
I plan to make a mini0tix in my car. I plan to put the mini itx into a cd-changer. I will use a laptop dvd/cdrw combo drive. It will have a standard 40 gb hdd. I have a friend who does auido installation. So he wil lhelp me wire the pc to power from the car. (no ugly wires laying about like a ciggarette lighter adapter. No none of that crap. I will wire usb extensions to the cabin area of my car. I will have a turn key power switch slaved to a military stlye power swithc. You have to turn the key first before the military switch will do anything. Also the 6 channel auido will be wired into my car's radio.

Im thinking of using that cheap 10.5 inch lcd screen btu I sacrifice the dvd player. Any one know a cheap soultion to a screen? one of my friends said to use a ps2 screen since the itx can output to tv. but wouldnt the resolution suck?

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Solscud007
I plan to make a mini0tix in my car. I plan to put the mini itx into a cd-changer. I will use a laptop dvd/cdrw combo drive. It will have a standard 40 gb hdd. I have a friend who does auido installation. So he wil lhelp me wire the pc to power from the car. (no ugly wires laying about like a ciggarette lighter adapter. No none of that crap. I will wire usb extensions to the cabin area of my car. I will have a turn key power switch slaved to a military stlye power swithc. You have to turn the key first before the military switch will do anything. Also the 6 channel auido will be wired into my car's radio.

Im thinking of using that cheap 10.5 inch lcd screen btu I sacrifice the dvd player. Any one know a cheap soultion to a screen? one of my friends said to use a ps2 screen since the itx can output to tv. but wouldnt the resolution suck?

The PS2 screen sucks. I had one, its impossible to read text on it.

Bimmer318i

Golden Member
Apr 1, 2001
Solscud007 - One thing to keep in mind, a car never supplies a steady 12 volt signal from start up (as I've read and somewhat experiences), so make sure your friend realizes that it's not enough to do a straight dc - dc powersupply in your car, it has to have a tolerance anywhere from about 7-15 volts..

there are a few psu's around (and instructions for building) that have tolerances from 5v -15v
I'm planning on doing the same thing in my brother's car this summer, under seat installation as to leave him with as much trunk space as I can and to deter any possible effects of the large magnets and increased shocks from pounding away (he's got 2 12" type R's in there). I'll be using a laptop hdd, and possibly a combo or just slimline dvd drive, luckily we've done all the installation ourselves so makes things easy to set up. One thing we got goin for us is that my brother bought a kenwood touch screen in dash monitor with about 3 inputs so we can use that for output, i plan on this playing dvd's, divx, and mp3's with removable hdd tray, and all based on linux, for effeciency (start up time, etc), best cpu usage, etc.

Athlex

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2000
Definitely the best HTPC out there. What seems to differentiate a consumer piece of HT gear from the "good" stuff is a massive milled chassis and an elegant cooling solution (heatsink vs. fans). That Hush box delivers in spades...

Too bad it's out of my price range. :(

PhoenixOfWater

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Athlex
Definitely the best HTPC out there. What seems to differentiate a consumer piece of HT gear from the "good" stuff is a massive milled chassis and an elegant cooling solution (heatsink vs. fans). That Hush box delivers in spades...

Too bad it's out of my price range. :(

Out of my price range too...
I wish they would just sell the case
But its a very nice looking setup

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Anybody have any number for boot times on these boards ... particularly the Eden boards? I've heard they come up very fast ... like 10 or 15 seconds.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Power to function ... in my case, basically a glorified OGG player, power on to sound from the speakers. No desktop.
But I guess power to OS would be adequate. Of course, once you're past bios & hardware detection/etc. it becomes more of a function of the hard drive & OS.

Athlex

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2000
I haven't noticed the Eden boards I've used to be any faster than regular ATX motherboards. As long as it does the quick RAM check and the LAN boot rom is disabled in the BIOS , it should be pretty speedy. Disabling floppy checking and other boot device checking helps a little too.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
I'm new to the Mini-ITX stuffs, but why are there so few cases mentioned at the top there?

oLLie

PhoenixOfWater

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
well... it time to find and link all the cases... i started and was hoping ppl would keep adding links
I'll add some when i get sometime... if anyone finds any just post them :) i'll be happy to add them

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: PhoenixOfWater
well... it time to find and link all the cases... i started and was hoping ppl would keep adding links
I'll add some when i get sometime... if anyone finds any just post them :) i'll be happy to add them

I was wondering about that because I was thinking "I know mini-ITX is still pretty new, but there have to be more cases than that!"

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you are looking for small LCD screens look for some 4"-8" designed for automobiles. I saw one somewhere the other day that was also a TV about 5" or so. Someone is making some devices to play DVD's in autos with fold down LCD screens. I dont remember where I saw it at. I also saw a model designed to fold down from a kitchen cabinet so you could cook and watch TV at the same time.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i've decided to go itx as a secondary system when i can get one with:
all of the following: agp slot, better sound, serial ata, usb bootability via a thumbdrive
none of the following: parallel ports, parallel ata, floppy connector, crappy motherboard chipset.

PhoenixOfWater

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Mday
i've decided to go itx as a secondary system when i can get one with:
all of the following: agp slot, better sound, serial ata, usb bootability via a thumbdrive
none of the following: parallel ports, parallel ata, floppy connector, crappy motherboard chipset.

agp slot?!?! agp slot is for high end video.. like games, and the Mini-itx are not make for games they are made for DVD/Office work/web
better sound... I think then sound is fine DD 5.1 sound just fine to me :)
serial ata would be very cool but who is really use serial ata right now?! or want to pay for it?
usb bootability via a thumbdrive....they can!

Mini-ITX are made for DVD/Office work/web with a low power need... not for high end games
why can't ppl see that?!
Not eveybody uses the computer to play games

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
well guys, i'm taking the dive... just orderd the m10000 and a 60w psu.... i still havent decided on what i'm going to put it in or even what i'm going to use it for... but i really want to try mouting it inside a model car or something along those lines.

i'll keep you all updated. :)