Microsoft officially announces Windows 11

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Noticed a windows update icon in my system tray today who's only purpose was the tell me the upgrade to windows 11 is ready and it's free. When I click the Windows search box there is an add at the bottom for Edge. This is annoying.

Can you screenshot it (the Edge ad I mean)? I'm not sure I've seen that before.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Can you screenshot it (the Edge ad I mean)? I'm not sure I've seen that before.
Sure. It was in the area I highlighted in red in the bottom area. And just to confirm pcgeek's pic was spot on for the Win 11 nag notification.

edgead.jpg

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Microsoft is finally making it easier to switch default browsers in Windows 11

Possibly connected to this:

Some highlights:
Big companies will have to provide alternatives to their apps
They will have to allow alternative paying methods
Messaging apps will have to be interoperable, sending and receiving messages from and to different messaging apps.

Reactions: mxnerd

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Some highlights:
Big companies will have to provide alternatives to their apps
They will have to allow alternative paying methods
Messaging apps will have to be interoperable, sending and receiving messages from and to different messaging apps.
Good! The breaking of the "Consumer Silo".

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Afaik the main reason to run Win11 today is for Alder Lake support, but supposedly Win10 21H2 contains the required scheduler upgrades. I can't confirm personally as I do not run any Alder Lake hardware.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
As of now are there any good reasons to migrate from windows 10 to windows 11?
There is no real reason to do but there is also no reason not to, it's very stable and everything works, the worst thing I have to say against it is that it forgot how to full screen windows, every time I open steam there is like a one pixel border around it because it doesn't fully maximize...

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
There is no real reason to do but there is also no reason not to, it's very stable and everything works, the worst thing I have to say against it is that it forgot how to full screen windows, every time I open steam there is like a one pixel border around it because it doesn't fully maximize...
I agree! I've been using 11 for the last 5 months, and it works well on the system in my sig. Do you need to upgrade now, no. However there's no problems if you do.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I agree! I've been using 11 for the last 5 months, and it works well on the system in my sig. Do you need to upgrade now, no. However there's no problems if you do.

While in General I agree. People who use the Windows computers for real work (not just Fun or online communication) have to be careful.

In the process MS disabled and discarded a lot of old staff (just like they do with the CPUs TPM etc.).

One can suddenly be in a situation that some software needed for real work is Not working.

Some of it might be corrected by the software maker in the near future. A lot would Not, and people would get stuck, or need to spend large amount of money to buy whatever Modern replacement might be available.

In such cases since Win 10 is going to be supported for the Next few years it is better to take it easy.

:cool:

• Love
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
While in General I agree. People who use the Windows computers for real work (not just Fun or online communication) have to be careful.

In the process MS disabled and discarded a lot of old staff (just like they do with the CPUs TPM etc.).

One can suddenly be in a situation that some software needed for real work is Not working.

Some of it might be corrected by the software maker in the near future. A lot would Not, and people would get stuck, or need to spend large amount of money to buy whatever Modern replacement might be available.

In such cases since Win 10 is going to be supported for the Next few years it is better to take it easy.

:cool:

I agree with you too! However jobs today have IT departments, and I’m sure that they won’t be doing Windows 11 for quite a while.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
As of now are there any good reasons to migrate from windows 10 to windows 11?

Windows 10's end of support is October 2025. I imagine 11's will be in 2031.

Not an immediate reason to migrate, not so far off either, it depends if/how you need to plan your migration.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The arbitrary hardware requirements is probably going to be the main reason not to as lot of people won't have the hardware needed.

Hopefully more people and businesses are going to consider making the switch to Linux. I hate to think of all the computer hardware that ends up land filled when MS drops support for windows 10. But it's also up to the software manufacturers to support it, and Linux is so fragmented I don't really blame them for not wanting to support it. You need to package your program like 100 times so it works in every distro.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The arbitrary hardware requirements is probably going to be the main reason not to as lot of people won't have the hardware needed.
Windows 11 runs fine on un supported hardware, only the installer checks for it not the OS. tons of guides on the net on how to do it, there are three different ways to do it.
I can see MS releasing a special "not as secure" version that will run on whatever in a few months/years.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Something just occurred to me - isn't it strange that Win11 has stringent hardware requirements and making TPM a requirement mainly in the name of security, yet DEP still isn't fully enabled by default?

I've been changing the DEP setting in Windows ever since it first came out (XP I believe) on all the customers I've set up for customers and my own / family's use, and IIRC I've encountered maybe three programs at most in nearly twenty years that needed an exception added to the DEP exception list.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yes! I guess it may interfere with enough stuff out there right now that they still don't enable it by default?

Something just occurred to me - isn't it strange that Win11 has stringent hardware requirements and making TPM a requirement mainly in the name of security, yet DEP still isn't fully enabled by default?

I've been changing the DEP setting in Windows ever since it first came out (XP I believe) on all the customers I've set up for customers and my own / family's use, and IIRC I've encountered maybe three programs at most in nearly twenty years that needed an exception added to the DEP exception list.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
After dual booting Linux for a while and now running it in a VM, I get the picture that any OS is a bit of a PITA to use if one is not used to it. So I have Win11 running in a VM again, to see how difficult it is to get used to. My mom wants to upgrade, so I need to bone up before her world ends :eek: . So far, still feels weird. ^Oh, and thanks for the link @Chiefcrowe.