Microsoft officially announces Windows 11

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I kinda wish we’d get a Windows 11.1, like the Win8 ->8.1 ; from a disaster to usable, not that Win 11 is a disaster. So the Win 11 22H2 update will be key decision point for me.

I’ve been running Linux Mint in VM lately, in part because of all the aggravation over the last 4 years of running Win10 with updates breaking stuff. So far, so good. Having to remember the stupidly complicated password for installs is bit testing - going to have to trim that down despite Linux's stricter definition of what a strong password is (even more complex than what Dashlane recommends).

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Last two version updates for 10 went smoothly for me on both of the PC's I use on a daily basis.... prior to that I had some problems though and this led to my postponing critical updates more than once.

:confused_old:

Frankly I was expecting to have some major issues with 11 but so far aside from some inexplicable and frustrating design decisions by M$ it's exceeded my expectations. (I am using a Start-menu app called "Start 11")

Ultimately I'm still "daily-driving" Win 10 Pro on both primary machines as mentioned (FX- system is incompatible w/11) but somewhat surprisingly to me I could see that changing if 11 is actually better.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Having an internal battle: I see many different opinions and am not sure if I should or not update. What do you like exactly?
I think the better question is why you want to try it? You seem afraid of installing it, so why do it?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Having an internal battle: I see many different opinions and am not sure if I should or not update. What do you like exactly?
I like the new interface. I was surprised how useful the central task bar is. I guess Apple knew what they were doing. The start bar is hit and miss. I like the Recommended section on my work PC, since I use a handful of files for an extended period of time, so having them readily accessible is nice. OTOH, that part of the start menu is useless on my game machine. Also, W11 seems to have fixed an audio issue on my game PC. I use an AV receiver for multichannel sound, connected via HDMI. W10 would occasionally forget, and revert to stereo sound, so I was forced to reset it. W11 no longer forgets (at least so far).

For me, W11 is as stable as W10, and I haven't run into any real issues. Sure, there are a few niggles here and there, but the press seems to be making mountains out of molehills. There is no harm in doing an in-place upgrade. If you don't like it, you can revert back to W10 within 10 days. For me, I've upgraded all of my PCs, and on 4 of them I subsequently did fresh installs of W11, so I'm committed.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Log to ebay, buy a used inexpensive SSD.

Option 1. Clean install Win 11 on the SSD and play with it.

Option 2. Clone the current HD/SSD upgrade to Win 11 and see how it work on your system.

Like it Keep it. Do not like it forget it, and Live Long and Prosper. LLAP-S.jpg

Reactions: pcgeek11 and Ajay

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Log to ebay, buy a used inexpensive SSD.

Option 1. Clean install Win 11 on the SSD and play with it.

Option 2. Clone the current HD/SSD upgrade to Win 11 and see how it work on your system.

Like it Keep it. Do not like it forget it, and Live Long and Prosper. View attachment 54268

Dual-booting with 10 Pro has also gone smoothly so far although I'm not finding myself very motivated to use 11 Pro over 10. (11 is installed on the primary NVME SSD but using a separate 100gb partition)

Only reason I even bothered was so I was familiar with the GUI for when I inevitably need to work on WIn 11 machines.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I still don't understand why tabbed file explorer was not a thing in win 11...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
A few weeks further along and my semi-positive opinion of 11 has only gotten worse.

Yes they've "streamlined" a few things and 11 IS pretty and shiny BUT overall this OS is a "fail" IMO due to some really poor design choices.

If I didn't know better I'd swear M$ screwed this one up intentionally.... crap like this OS is what you end up with putting form over function.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I haven't used it much, but it just seems like they keep piling new ui layers on, and as you dig through the different settings you'll do and archeological tour of all the different Windows versions, and you know you reached the earliest ages when it ask you to insert a floppy disk in drive A:\ to locate the driver...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The more posts/articles I continue to read about Windows 11, the less tempting the upgrade from Windows 10 seems to me.

When it first launched I was thinking of waiting one year, but that date will most likely be pushed back to maybe 18-24 months.

There is just not one compelling reason to me right now to make the change (Alder Lake owners is the only reason I could understand).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Windows needs a complete re-write. But...those damn golden handcuffs of backwards compatibility are too strong. So, instead, we get cruft layered upon cruft. Thankfully, it works pretty well, well, at least 10 does.

Reactions: ryan20fun

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Windows needs a complete re-write. But...those damn golden handcuffs of backwards compatibility are too strong. So, instead, we get cruft layered upon cruft. Thankfully, it works pretty well, well, at least 10 does.
If Apple can "Rosetta" backwards compatability x86 on arm, how hard can it be to do something similar in Windows? At least it is all x86 code.

Andro Boy

Feb 4, 2017
Just got an HP All-In-One with Win 11, and it's pretty nice. There's a few quirks here and there that I don't like, such as task manager not being accessible through the taskbar, or tasks such as "copy and paste" being another click or two away behind "show more options". Other than that, it feels mostly the same as 10, and this is coming from someone who spends more time browsing or playing games on the iPad and Xbox.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
such as task manager not being accessible through the taskbar,

Right-click on the start menu button, click Task Manger.

or tasks such as "copy and paste" being another click or two away behind "show more options"
No it isn't. There is a line of icons at the top of the context menu for Cut, Copy, Rename, Share, and Delete. Those options are also at the top of File Explorer.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Noticed a windows update icon in my system tray today who's only purpose was the tell me the upgrade to windows 11 is ready and it's free. When I click the Windows search box there is an add at the bottom for Edge. This is annoying.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
me too, it looked like the Update icon, but had a blue dot on it, glad I hovered over it before clicking.