Microsoft officially announces Windows 11

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Microsoft's position is that they've allowed all the CPUs they're planning to allow. They claimed to do a big review after the June announcement/outcry and the only processor they added to the list was an i7 7xxx used in some funky Surface product.

But we don't know exactly how they're doing the check... so... does their PC health tool actually fail you?
I didn't know about the check and thought it might be for insiders only. I did run it on the system and all was green but TPM. I enabled it in the UEFI and the check now says it's compatible. Thanks for your help.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
I managed to get the waiver dialog! Ran the script that's been in the tech press in the last day or so, suddenly the installer from the ISO works just fine to do an in-place upgrade on my Sandy Bridge BIOS/MBR system. But it did give me the waiver before installing.

It's installing now, curious to see what happens.

Reactions: Ajay

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
^ Glad you’ve made progress, even tough you don’t have ‘official' support.

The only thing that I’ve tested in my Win11 VM that breaks w/o TPM 2.0, is the Application Guard feature. I forgot to test Bitlocker, to see if it requires 2.0 now.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
@VivienM

I'd be interested to know if Windows Update appears to be working as normal. I guess if it's working atm, then the next two possible 'no support' gotchas could be when Win11 goes RTM and your installs will refuse to update/activate as RTM versions, or when the next Win11 feature update comes along.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Eh, the problem with Application Guard is VMware Workstation's (16) lack of support for this feature, not because I didn't have the TPM module enabled. Doh!

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
@VivienM

I'd be interested to know if Windows Update appears to be working as normal. I guess if it's working atm, then the next two possible 'no support' gotchas could be when Win11 goes RTM and your installs will refuse to update/activate as RTM versions, or when the next Win11 feature update comes along.

Works as normal so far, I think?

I do not intend to do this on my i7 7700 or any other systems that I particularly care about, precisely because of the concerns you've raised. The laptop it's on now... barely had any anything on it, so wiping it and going back to 10 wouldn't be a big deal. Or e-wasting it after ~10 years...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Both of my AMD based machines fail to upgrade to 11 when I use WU or the 2200.194 iso failing somewhere around 80% with a GSOD stating failed to write to read only memory.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
I'm feeling like installing Win11 on an i3-380U 11.6" Acer notebook with 4 gigs of RAM. Would guess it'll run just fine after that magical script.

Oldest laptop I have; I have some C2D/C2Q systems too but they're desktops and in the closet.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
I'm feeling like installing Win11 on an i3-380U 11.6" Acer notebook with 4 gigs of RAM. Would guess it'll run just fine after that magical script.

Oldest laptop I have; I have some C2D/C2Q systems too but they're desktops and in the closet.

Surprise... it seems to work just fine. A little slow perhaps, but that thing was also slow on 10 so it's not like that's a huge change...

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Surprise... it seems to work just fine. A little slow perhaps, but that thing was also slow on 10 so it's not like that's a huge change...

Well, there is a limit to how much you can push out of such old hardware. But at least it works.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Well, there is a limit to how much you can push out of such old hardware. But at least it works.

Oh I agree, and if anything, that 11.6" i3-380U laptop is in the segment that has improved the most in the past decade...

If this was an i7-980 or whatever the top of the line desktop chip of that era was, I think the difference would be nowhere near as stark.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
22000.194 is the official version that launched yesterday with MCT, upgrade assistant and ISO available to use. I clean installed my laptop and plan to do the same to my desktop in the near future as none of the available installers will work with my systems to upgrade.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
22000.194 is the official version that launched yesterday with MCT, upgrade assistant and ISO available to use. I clean installed my laptop and plan to do the same to my desktop in the near future as none of the available installers will work with my systems to upgrade.
You muat be in another timezone, I can't find Win11 MCT nor official ISOs yet.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
So now I've finally tried it on my work desktop and my two initial impressions are:
WTF, why can't I have a vertical taskbar?
WTF happened to having a well-organized start menu?

I know that every updated version of Windows and the changes it brings can inflame heated outbursts, but how on Earth is this supposed to give a better experience than windows 10?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
So now I've finally tried it on my work desktop and my two initial impressions are:
WTF, why can't I have a vertical taskbar?
WTF happened to having a well-organized start menu?

I know that every updated version of Windows and the changes it brings can inflame heated outbursts, but how on Earth is this supposed to give a better experience than windows 10?

I sacrificed my gaming laptop to try the upgrade process and release version. I agree, Win 10 was perfectly configured for my tastes and 11 wrecks everything. The taskbar and start menu alone are enough for me to hold off. I'm sure there are 101 apps to fix these announces but I dealt with that on 8 and it was a never ending circle of fix/break/fix as MS released updates. The string of a WTF release every other version continues.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's a page just like with 10 that went live on the 4th.
Download Windows 11
Thanks. When you posted that, I was viewing on my laptop, upon which I had already run the Win11 Upgrade Advisor, and it said that laptop was all set to receive Win11. I was able to download the ISO and the MCT, though I did not run the MCT because I didn't have any blank flash drives on me at the time, they were in the other room.

Now I'm on my main PC, in the living room. I went to that page, was able to download the MCT, but I am not allowed to download the ISO, something keeps popping up about system requirements. Oh my. It's a Zen2 rig with 32GB of RAM, and a B450-F ROG STRIX with newest BIOS release ("for Win11"). Not sure what the holdup is. Hopefully, the MCT will still let you download ISOs with it, I haven't tried it yet. Though I would like to have an "official" binary ISO file straight from MS.

Edit: Whatever it was, it seems fixed now. I was able to download the ISO on my main PC, and it asked me for the "Language" setting before giving me the download button this time, before it wouldn't even ask.

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I've installed Win11 on most of my computers as in-place upgrades after downloading the MCT last night.. So far things are running well. Haven't run into any major issues or incompatibilities. Not having a vertical task bar is a nuisance, and I'm hoping something will come along to fix that. Otherwise I'm fine with the start menu changes. It's not great, but usable. The widgets that come with it are pretty much useless. Overall though, I'm keeping W11.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
You can't use them if you have a "local" account. MS's "punishment" for not using an MS ID to sign into Windows.
Nope. You can. I now have all 6 of my eligible PCs on W11. Only a couple are using an MS account, but Widgets are available on all of them. It's just that they are useless.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nope. You can. I now have all 6 of my eligible PCs on W11. Only a couple are using an MS account, but Widgets are available on all of them. It's just that they are useless.
Huh. When I tried to use them on the dev preview, it told me that I needed to sign in to use widgets.