Microsoft is apparently switching off POP/IMAP access

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
  • Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Gmail is kinda like democracy.

The absolute worst ..... except for everything else! ;) (seriously it IS pretty freaking lame... but it also works)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
At home I only use webmail when I am wondering if the email provider has blocked something as spam.

Otherwise, Thunderbird Portable, pop on the gmail accounts. I do have a global inbox, sent, junk, trash, contacts, as well as other self-generated folders for different types of content.

I run it off a USB flash drive. Sandisk Extreme Pro, or today the USB flash drives with SSD controllers would work well too. Regular cheap type flash drive is too slow, especially doing app updates on the portable version.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Key is to have webmail as a backup at minimum no matter what you use for email.

Gmail at one point WAS the best mainstream web-mail (especially with an Android phone) but Google has sat on their haunches for a long time now.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm appalled that e-mail is still a necessity.

I look forward to e-mail's demise with great interest and anticipation.

What I would prefer is one single inbox per user in the world that can have unlimited e-mail aliases, unlimited text storage with images/other attachments available for a year and then an option to download all emails with attachments to local storage before they are deleted. Everyone born gets one and only one inbox assigned to them, paid for by the government. But with the crappy way our governments run, I suppose that is too much to ask for.
So you want to replace email with... email?
I mean, nothing really requires you to have multiple email addresses (well, besides maintaining separate work and personal emails, I suppose, but I think that's a feature, not a bug).

Jul 27, 2020
So you want to replace email with... email?
It's the annoyance of having to login to multiple inboxes that would be eliminated with my idea. One universal online inbox for every human being. They can have as many email addresses as they want but everything drops into a single storage space for the user. They choose which address's messages they want to view or view all of them together. It would simplify things and save so much time.

Nov 17, 2019
Several of my accounts have the ability to create and use Aliases. ProtonMail is just one.

Others have the ability to act as aggregators from other accounts.

I've kinda lost count, but I have somewhere around 40 email addresses, some of which are only used for one or two merchants/contacts.

Jul 27, 2020
I've kinda lost count, but I have somewhere around 40 email addresses, some of which are only used for one or two merchants/contacts.
Yeah. That's a necessity, with so much spam generated these days. I wish I could manage more than the half dozen accounts I have. Even those make me tired. Really tired having to deal with them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have a bunch of emails I very rarely use (or care about checking) and a bunch more that I've forgotten completely lol.

I have three four that I actually care about and use regularly.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah. That's a necessity, with so much spam generated these days. I wish I could manage more than the half dozen accounts I have. Even those make me tired. Really tired having to deal with them.
Are you using the emailaddress+SomeIdentifier@gmail.com functionality? Then you can direct anything sent to that address into a specific folder.
I'm not sure the last time I saw actual spam make it all the way to my main gmail inbox, and I don't even use this method.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
It's the annoyance of having to login to multiple inboxes that would be eliminated with my idea. One universal online inbox for every human being. They can have as many email addresses as they want but everything drops into a single storage space for the user. They choose which address's messages they want to view or view all of them together. It would simplify things and save so much time.
Completely solved with Office Outlook or Thunderbird.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Are you using the emailaddress+SomeIdentifier@gmail.com functionality? Then you can direct anything sent to that address into a specific folder.
I'm not sure the last time I saw actual spam make it all the way to my main gmail inbox, and I don't even use this method.
Seriously, some people seem to be using email completely wrong. Having dozens of different accounts, with some addresses for just a recipient or two? o_O

Jul 27, 2020
I'm talking about spam that I subscribed to and don't want to unsubscribe from coz sometimes it may contain something cool. But most of the time, I don't want to see it cluttering up my main inbox. Yes, I could filter it into separate folders but then it would still eat up my main inbox storage space.

Reactions: Captante

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's called compartmentalization :p
Not to say I do things the "right way" either, but I just let Gmail hide spam from me and almost all marketing stuff is directed into the Promotions pseudo-folder. I don't bother managing anything or sorting messages into folders, but I'm not a heavy email user anymore. If I need to find something, Gmail search will do the job. I've never seen the allure of "Inbox Zero" but admittedly organization isn't my strongest suit.

With all the time you could save by not managing a handful of accounts, you could even organize all your browser tabs! Just kidding, I don't do that either. :tearsofjoy:

• Haha

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It also makes it easier to track who sold you out, and reconsider giving them further business. Also easy to just burn, and pick another. I should use aliases more, but I haven't made the time to get it done.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It also makes it easier to track who sold you out, and reconsider giving them further business. Also easy to just burn, and pick another. I should use aliases more, but I haven't made the time to get it done.
I get a lot of spam to mike-adobe@... gee, I wonder who leaked my info.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
i thought the RFC was merging IMAP and POP

re "why not just use IMAP?" - hmm yep, that's a paddlin'!

paddling.gif