Michael Cohen is writing a book.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Huh? Whuh? Classic. If you have evidence that Cohen's statements at his trial were false, present it.
Of course some of his statements were false. He kinda, sorta, went to prison because of it. So yeah.... I'd say there's a good reason not to trust the bullshit he claims in some politically-motivated spin book.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If he lied under oath, if he actually broke the law, is what matters.

Thank you for demonstrating more concretely that your position is one of equivalence for all lies not under oath.

Your position on that, in my view, is fundamentally wrong. It is a difference I don't see as reconcilable.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Of course some of his statements were false. He kinda, sorta, went to prison because of it. So yeah.... I'd say there's a good reason not to trust the bullshit he claims in some politically-motivated spin book.
Here's what he was convicted of:
That afternoon, Cohen pleaded guilty to eight criminal charges: five counts of tax evasion, one count of making false statements to a financial institution, one count of willfully causing an unlawful corporate contribution, and one count of making an excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate (Trump) ...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, there is no indication that any of his statements at trial were false. If there was and federal prosecutors allowed them to be entered into the record anyway without notifying the judge they would be in deep shit themselves. In fact, the statement he made at trial is backed up by a large amount of evidence showing Trump was intimately involved in the campaign finance felonies.

I find it funny that Trump defenders basically employ the same arguments that mob lawyers do when someone flips. It's pretty much 'How can you trust what this guy says about Trump? He scummy enough to associate with TRUMP for god's sake!'

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Thank you for demonstrating more concretely that your position is one of equivalence for all lies not under oath.

Your position on that, in my view, is fundamentally wrong. It is a difference I don't see as reconcilable.
I mean... have fun living a life full of being permanently pissed off over failed expectations, I guess?

If you're routinely expecting politicians not to lie and then are shocked and hurt when you find they did lie, is your reaction their fault or yours? lol. Fool you once, shame on them. Fool you twice, shame on you, right?

If they broke the law then they should be held accountable legally. If they lied without breaking the law then no legal recourse is possible. It's not illegal to lie, just incredibly shitty. Stop expecting politicians to tell the truth and you won't cry yourself to sleep every night. ;)

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
No, there is no indication that any of his statements at trial were false. If there was and federal prosecutors allowed them to be entered into the record anyway without notifying the judge they would be in deep shit themselves. In fact, the statement he made at trial is backed up by a large amount of evidence showing Trump was intimately involved in the campaign finance felonies.

I find it funny that Trump defenders basically employ the same arguments that mob lawyers do when someone flips. It's pretty much 'How can you trust what this guy says about Trump? He scummy enough to associate with TRUMP for god's sake!'
Oh, so Cohen isn't in prison for lying under oath? o_O That's news to me! Weird. I wonder what he went to prison for if not for lying under oath. ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh, so Cohen isn't in prison for lying under oath? o_O That's news to me! Weird. I wonder what he went to prison for if not for lying under oath. ;)

By all means link me to the charge that you believe indicates he lied at his trial, which is where his statements were submitted under oath to the court and with the support of federal prosecutors.

By the way have you read that statement? It pretty clearly details that Trump committed one or more felonies. Does that bother you?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I posted what he was convicted of above, none for lying under oath.

That afternoon, Cohen pleaded guilty to eight criminal charges: five counts of tax evasion, one count of making false statements to a financial institution, one count of willfully causing an unlawful corporate contribution, and one count of making an excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate (Trump) ...

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
By all means link me to the charge that you believe indicates he lied at his trial, which is where his statements were submitted under oath to the court and with the support of federal prosecutors.

By the way have you read that statement? It pretty clearly details that Trump committed one or more felonies. Does that bother you?
You're the only one remarking about trial. I keep saying "to Congress" (which maybe should have said the FBI during the investigation) and you keep changing my argument.

You really love your strawman.

I've read so much "Trump did X" over the years only to find out a few days later (or months later or sometimes years later) that it was a bunch of lies. Not only do I not trust Trump but I don't trust the media not to lie for their own political activist motives and click bait, don't trust people trying to point the finger at someone else when they're going down for, among other things, being dishonest. Just because some media talking head claims something was said at trial or tries to spin some piece of evidence to support their own extremist narrative doesn't mean I'm willing to believe them. I'll believe it when the assertion is confirmed in court and legal action is taken against the offender.

There are too many people lying about too many things for me to trust any of them at all.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You're the only one remarking about trial. I keep saying "to Congress" (which maybe should have said the FBI during the investigation) and you keep changing my argument.

I've read so much "Trump did X" over the years only to find out a few days later (or months later or sometimes years later) that it was a bunch of lies. Not only do I not trust Trump but I don't trust the media not to lie for their own political activist motives and click bait, don't trust people trying to point the finger at someone else when they're going down for, among other things, being dishonest. Just because some media talking head claims something was said at trial or tries to spin some piece of evidence to support their own extremist narrative doesn't mean I'm willing to believe them. I'll believe it when the assertion is confirmed in court and legal action is taken against the offender.

There are too many people lying about too many things for me to trust any of them at all.
How does this statement by you indicate Congress?

edit: you actually believed he went to jail for lying to Congress? priceless...

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm "implying" that politicians lie and that it should be expected. Lying to a crowd isn't necessarily illegal. If it were, all politicians would be in jail :p If he lied under oath, if he actually broke the law, is what matters.

If you are talking about legal liability that is correct. Trump, however, lies so frequently it seems to be his default mode of communication.

There is a whole spectrum of credibility and truthfulness, but anyone looking at the Trump would put him at or very near the bottom of all humanity as far as credibility goes.

Personally I would rank Michael Cohen somewhat higher than Trump, but I would also be very wary of him as well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

lol that's some pretty amazing projection. People here are talking about the statements Cohen made at trial and YOU tried to turn it to statements he made to Congress. When I try to bring you back to the actual topic you accuse me of doing what you did, haha.

I've read so much "Trump did X" over the years only to find out a few days later (or months later or sometimes years later) that it was a bunch of lies. Not only do I not trust Trump but I don't trust the media not to lie for their own political activist motives and click bait, don't trust people trying to point the finger at someone else when they're going down for, among other things, being dishonest. Just because some media talking head claims something was said at trial or tries to spin some piece of evidence to support their own extremist narrative doesn't mean I'm willing to believe them.

You can read the statement yourself:

If your claim is that he perjured himself before the court then what is your evidence of this? This would be a shocking assertion as it would indicate that federal prosecutors knew he was perjuring himself in this statement and allowed it to proceed anyway.

As I previously mentioned there is a large amount of documentary evidence in addition to Cohen's testimony that implicates Trump in this felony. Are you saying that evidence doesn't exist? Was it altered? What?

You can read these documents here:

Does any of this large quantity of evidence that Trump committed a felony bother you? If not, why?

I'll believe it when the assertion is confirmed in court and legal action is taken against the offender.

So in other words you won't believe Trump committed any crimes until he is prosecuted for them, which can't happen until he's no longer president. So, all the evidence that he's committed felonies wouldn't affect whether or not you would vote for him because you by definition refuse to believe he committed any crime regardless of how much evidence there is for it.

lol, that's some pretty awesome motivated reasoning on your part.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
If you are talking about legal liability that is correct. Trump, however, lies so frequently it seems to be his default mode of communication.

There is a whole spectrum of credibility and truthfulness, but anyone looking at the Trump would put him at or very near the bottom of all humanity as far as credibility goes.

Personally I would rank Michael Cohen somewhat higher than Trump, but I would also be very wary of him as well.
Politicians and salesmen, of which Trump is both, are notorious liars. Why anyone is surprised that Trump lies whenever his mouth is moving is beyond me. Add lawyers to that list out of spite :p

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Jesus Christ man. I'm asking you why he would be bad for telling the truth.

There is nothing wrong with telling the verifiable truth.

There is a lot wrong with printing unverified BS in a tell all book for personal gain. That is all I'm saying.

Granted I have no idea what he is printing just as everyone else doesn't know. I think he is a Turd and will pull out anything he thinks he can get away with to get revenge for something he was an equal partner in.

I guess we shall see when / if he prints.

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There is nothing wrong with telling the verifiable truth.

There is a lot wrong with printing unverified BS in a tell all book for personal gain. That is all I'm saying.

Granted I have no idea what he is printing just as everyone else doesn't know. I think he is a Turd and will pull out anything he thinks he can get away with to get revenge for something he was an equal partner in.

I guess we shall see when / if he prints.
Why would he make shit up when there is so much fucked up shit that actually happened?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
  • Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Why would anyone lie and break the law when there's already so much lying and law breaking happening? Gosh, I just don't know! :laughing:

You guys clearly don't understand, let me dumb it down a bit more:
Why would he make shit up when he can fuck Trump by merely telling the truth? Making shit up and getting caught would help Trump because idiots just like you would take any tiny untruth and use it to dismiss the mountains of documented evidence because you have no shame.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
You guys clearly don't understand, let me dumb it down a bit more:
Why would he make shit up when he can fuck Trump by merely telling the truth? Making shit up and getting caught would help Trump because idiots just like you would take any tiny untruth and use it to dismiss the mountains of documented evidence because you have no shame.
He's a known liar. By default, I regard his untested statements as false. If he says something that's proven true then fine. Until then, I'll consider anything that falls out of that man's mouth as a lie intended to save his own ass or meant to sell something.

Reactions: pcgeek11

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
He's a known liar. By default, I regard his untested statements as false. If he says something that's proven true then fine. Until then, I'll consider anything that falls out of that man's mouth as a lie intended to save his own ass or meant to sell something.
But that for some reason does not apply to Trump.