Metro: Last Light

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
NVidia alone footed the cost for developing and refining this software (especially if you remember that GPU accelerated physics was an unpopular notion in the beginning), so from a business perspective, why should they help their competitor?

That said, AMD is just as much to blame for not adopting PhysX than NVidia since AMD have proclaimed many times that they "do not support proprietary standards."

If AMD wanted to license PhysX, I'm sure they could do it and then port it to OpenCL. But they lack the will to do it, instead putting their focus on OpenCL's Bullet Physics; which isn't saying much really because Bullet physics is very underdeveloped compared to PhysX.

I know what your saying, but part of making something a standard is knowing when to give and take. "IF" it was on all cards, it would be a STANDARD by now, not just a software emulation thing on one and hardware on the other. The old "hook um then charge um" comes to mind. NV should have made it cheap for ATI to include and leveraged that later. Of course I do not know, maybe ATI just would not do it no matter the cost and its all moot, very possible.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
I finally started playing this game the other day. It's phenomenal. I wasn't sure it was possible to surpass Metro 2033's excellence, but that's exactly what they did. The atmosphere is incredible. Gunplay is meaty. The stealth works surprisingly well. This actually might dethrone Tomb Raider as my personal "game of the year so far".

Also, I just got to the swamp part.

JESUS ROLLER SKATING CHRIST IT'S TERRIFYING.
This game definitely made me jump a couple of times. Plus the fact that I am playing this game at night with headphones on doesn't help :D

It's always unnerving to go out the surface in this game. You never know what to expect.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
I bought a GTX 660 this weekend and micro center and was supposed to come with a code for Metro but didn't find anything in the box. Is there somewhere I am supposed to go to get the game?

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I finally started playing this game the other day. It's phenomenal. I wasn't sure it was possible to surpass Metro 2033's excellence, but that's exactly what they did. The atmosphere is incredible. Gunplay is meaty. The stealth works surprisingly well. This actually might dethrone Tomb Raider as my personal "game of the year so far".

Also, I just got to the swamp part.

JESUS ROLLER SKATING CHRIST IT'S TERRIFYING.

Yea, seriously. The last 90 minutes or so was my favorite part. Incredible tension going from building to building, room to room looking for ammo and notes. Your little helper is pretty cool, too.

I really liked the
creepy tunnel of arms and bodies.

I just finished it tonight. All in all, a borderline-great game. Graphical anomalies increased as I went through the game, but the story was good enough that I put up with. A solid 8.5/10 from me.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I bought a GTX 660 this weekend and micro center and was supposed to come with a code for Metro but didn't find anything in the box. Is there somewhere I am supposed to go to get the game?

I think the game code only comes with 660 TI models and up.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Latest benchmarks with 13.6 beta drivers. With and Without Physx

Without PHYSX
captureont.png

With PHYSX
capturedoa.png

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Anyone get the DLC release today ? Is it worth it ?

I've been playin it a bit. It's not really a storyline...it's kind of like mini missions or mini game modes...

Like one is you just defending the front line of a battlefield in the metro...

Another is you go up to the surface, look around for artifacts and fight monsters, and go back down and sell them to a guy and then you can buy upgrades and whatnot then go back up and explore more.

Kinda fun, but I was hoping for a storyline based DLC. The missions/modes/whatever feel small and boxed in if you know what I mean

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Got this on sale from steam and it keeps crashing to the desktop at one specific part. When it's trying to load up the next chapter after you escape from the watchmen after going outdoors for the first time (if you remember the plane crash that is the part). Anyhow, every time I get through the door and it starts to load the next chapter...crash. I've tried every setting in the options trying to get it to load through and it doesn't. I don't get it...

Did this happen to anyone else? At this point I feel like I wasted my money.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Got this on sale from steam and it keeps crashing to the desktop at one specific part. When it's trying to load up the next chapter after you escape from the watchmen after going outdoors for the first time (if you remember the plane crash that is the part). Anyhow, every time I get through the door and it starts to load the next chapter...crash. I've tried every setting in the options trying to get it to load through and it doesn't. I don't get it...

Did this happen to anyone else? At this point I feel like I wasted my money.

Verify integrity of the Steam game files, if you haven't already. Maybe reinstall PhysX. If that doesn't work, delete the game and reinstall from a clean slate. That's all I can think of.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Verify integrity of the Steam game files, if you haven't already. Maybe reinstall PhysX. If that doesn't work, delete the game and reinstall from a clean slate. That's all I can think of.

None of that worked. I already reinstalled physx to remove the performance tanking bug. I did manage to get past this portion of the game but it was by unconventional means. I had to allow the game to start in safe mode and get through this section at 1024x768. Then it fully loaded the next section and then I got to the next checkpoint (so it wasn't on the introduction screen) and restarted the game again and changed my video settings back. Didn't do that since, although it did freeze once again later on. Some games are just riddled with issues like this sometimes.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Never had that happen to me when I had my playthrough. Did you check event viewer? That may give you some insight as to what exactly is causing the crash.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Never had that happen to me when I had my playthrough. Did you check event viewer? That may give you some insight as to what exactly is causing the crash.

Its the game. Similar topics came up on steam forums and elsewhere. That's how I found this fix.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Its the game. Similar topics came up on steam forums and elsewhere. That's how I found this fix.

Do you have your vid card OCed (even from the factory)? It'd be interesting to hear if that made a difference too. There are a number of games that are very picky about OCing. I have an MSI that is factory overclocked, so I had to google what the stock clocks are on a different 570 just so I could downclock to those values in order to play some games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Do you have your vid card OCed (even from the factory)? It'd be interesting to hear if that made a difference too. There are a number of games that are very picky about OCing. I have an MSI that is factory overclocked, so I had to google what the stock clocks are on a different 570 just so I could downclock to those values in order to play some games.

The CTD happened with a variety of systems and cards. Not limited to only my configuration.