Metro: Last Light

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I loved the first one, especially when u ignore some of the initial bugs. A new gameplay video shows an amazing game world with some brilliant audio and the typical Metro atmosphere. However, there is apparently more open world gameplay as opposed to the first one.

Check out the video and please ignore the 2 people yapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mOr8-I2H70

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Looking forward to this one. This looks like gameplay from the derpbox, really would like to see PC footage.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Looking forward to this one. This looks like gameplay from the derpbox, really would like to see PC footage.

Yep it is, noticed that at the beginning and asked myself "WTF is up with the stiff panning? OOoooh, thumbstick...."

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The first game was a masterpiece of linear FPS design.

I'm really looking forward to LastLight.

There aren't many developers left who are truly really dedicated to the single-player experience. I hope they do well from this.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012

Yeah. Seemed like a console version, but i donno cos the people playing seemed very noobish. However, the visuals really impressed me. Lets hope this doesnt release with a bucket load of bugs on launch.

Mannymal

Mar 24, 2010
If its anything like Metro 2033 I will be a big fan. Its great how 2033 still holds up fabulously with modern hardware. I played through it with a Geforce 8800 GTS on medium 1080p, and now I am going through again at 1440p High on a Geforce 670 and it is like a whole new game.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Doesn't look all that impressive graphically actually, and everything looks muddy, grey, and ridged. Even though a swamp, there simply isn't much contrast in subtle textures or coloring. But I imagine if anything like the first one, it will make me feel fully immersed in the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2003
Doesn't look all that impressive graphically actually. Everything looks muddy and ridged. But I imagine if anything like the first one, it will make me feel fully immersed in the atmosphere.

don't worry, it will still run at less than 30 FPS on the highest end cards.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Pre-order is up on Steam. I look forward to playing. :)

Last edited:

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
I'm looking forward to this as well really enjoyed the first game. I wonder what happened to multiplayer though? When it was first advertised on steam multiplayer was listed.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I'm looking forward to this as well really enjoyed the first game. I wonder what happened to multiplayer though? When it was first advertised on steam multiplayer was listed.

The devs asked the community if they wanted multiplayer or to use the resources they would use on multi for single player. The overwhelming response was no, so they cut it and used the resources for single player.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The devs asked the community if they wanted multiplayer or to use the resources they would use on multi for single player. The overwhelming response was no, so they cut it and used the resources for single player.

:thumbsup:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
wow it looks like finally a video game which i can use my tri sli to its full potential!

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Huh....imagine that. Devs asking the community what they want. :)

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Why are a lot of recent FPS drabby looking? What's wrong with a little bit of red or blue or yellow etc.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Why are a lot of recent FPS drabby looking? What's wrong with a little bit of red or blue or yellow etc.

Often it makes the textures looks too fake or slightly cartoony. Compare Metro to Infinite, some may not want to call it cartoony, (i do) but it is more so than Metro because the brighter colors play a higher use.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Often it makes the textures looks too fake or slightly cartoony. Compare Metro to Infinite, some may not want to call it cartoony, (i do) but it is more so than Metro because the brighter colors play a higher use.

Realism ok, but the real world has contrasting colors and textures. A persons uniform should not look like a concrete wall, nor their shadow bleed into what they're wearing.

This image for instance:

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/07/Metro-Last-Light-preview-2-fixed.jpg

Good detail with geometry, but it looks like 2 tones of brown and 2 tones of green with shading. The guys uniform looks like they took the green from the vegetation and then the grey from the buildings to make his uniform.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
In Metro's defense, it wouldn't make much sense to have lots of color due to the setting/atmosphere. It is old and rundown, if you ever been to an long abandoned building it isn't that far off, the color fades and gets washed out. Dirt and dust cover everything.

Why would a person wear a uniform that would stick out in an environment like this? They want to be concealed and not stick out like a sore thumb. I think you are forgetting that this games world is rundown and ruined, there hasn't been anything new or shiny in a very very long time.

As for other games, yeah depending on the game, they do need to add some color. But for Metro, it fits with the story and everything else.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Visual arts are about creating an environment that reflects the vision of the artist, not creating realism, unless the artist sets out to explicitly do so.

People don't seem to have a problem accepting this when they watch film or TV. Could you imagine watching "300" without artistic lighting and processing?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Visual arts are about creating an environment that reflects the vision of the artist, not creating realism, unless the artist sets out to explicitly do so.

People don't seem to have a problem accepting this when they watch film or TV. Could you imagine watching "300" without artistic lighting and processing?

True, but on that same point, if a lot of movies came out with the same artistic light and processing then people would complain about that too.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Realism ok, but the real world has contrasting colors and textures. A persons uniform should not look like a concrete wall, nor their shadow bleed into what they're wearing.

This image for instance:

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/07/Metro-Last-Light-preview-2-fixed.jpg

Good detail with geometry, but it looks like 2 tones of brown and 2 tones of green with shading. The guys uniform looks like they took the green from the vegetation and then the grey from the buildings to make his uniform.

Of course but certainly that would be a limitation of the engine or art direction taken.
If they make a game low in colors, you don't have to use the latest mega million dollar graphics engine either. It's not realistic but likely would look far worse if it had brighter colors...Think Killzone series would look as good if they took Bioshock infinite's art direction?

In the case of Metro, i agree with above, it's old and rundown. Sure the grey soldier could have worn more shades, black or even navy blue, but it's probably the lighting more than anything...good engine but it's still limited in many ways and few do get lighting just right....i think Crysis 3 did a good job on lighting imo.

Last edited: