Metro: Last Light

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I think it's significantly better than Metro 2033 was, in terms of graphics, gameplay, performance and atmosphere; the latter in particular.

Trust me when I say there are some creepy moments in this game..

Also, the story is very good so far. As a long time PC gamer and someone that played the first game, I highly recommend Metro Last Light.. :cool:

It most certainly wasn't! I felt the first one had a better story. I also liked the gameplay more. The atmosphere is just about the same to me. This one does feel creepier at times, although I felt about the same when playing 2033 for the first time.

The characters seem way off in MLL, Miller is kinda of a douche, Artyom is little more than a brainwashed grunt, Khan isn't sure who is he anymore.

I would have liked to see some more about the anomalies from the first, about the red/nazi war, about D6, about Exhibition, which Artyom has all but forgot completely about. Where are the librarians, and why do I need a fuckton of ammo for just about everything non human?

The bosses remind me of Painkiller, you need to shoot them in the butt from a 28 degree angle or else. Give me back the librarians and take that swamp crap back. Also the Voltdriver renders any of the weapons in MLL obsolete.

Also what happened to the nazis? Did they find God? What about the alternate ending for the first one. Does it make a difference in MLL? Doubtful! I have only played MLL once, and I killed the Dark Ones at the end of my 2033, but I would sure like a different approach in MLL in case I choose to save them instead

I really felt the game was rushed long before it was finished, but I did like it, such as it was.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Perhaps we should have an In-house poll for this and each game that appears and we care enough to discuss it here. Maybe we can also set some standards regarding the points, fuck the reviews.

For Metro Last Light I would rate it 7, good game, rushed, a bit too short, but intense, top graphics.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Perhaps we should have an In-house poll for this and each game that appears and we care enough to discuss it here. Maybe we can also set some standards regarding the points, fuck the reviews.

For Metro Last Light I would rate it 7, good game, rushed, a bit too short, but intense, top graphics.

***a few minor spoilers below***

It certainly wasn't short. Not any shorter than the original at least. Definitely deserves more than 7. An 8.7 or so.

Rushed? Perhaps a little, but only in certain points. I feel that maybe they used the storytelling at points where they were originally planning to put something else.

For example, in the city of phantoms, I was definitely expecting to see a new type of monster.. A phantom perhaps? Like the poltergeist in STALKER. But there was nothing short of a few watchers in the end. :( That part was all about storytelling and nothing else. There are several parts like this.

However, the bottom line, is that it didn't feel to me like the game was severely lacking in any particular way. You go too far in saying it overall felt rushed. It really didn't feel that way.

My only gripes that I can think of is the dumb human AI, lack of intense, difficult firefights, some lack in monster diversity(for example I expected a much creepier swamp monster than some living plants and shrimps in the marshes) and lack of weapons/weapon customization. I wanted to see deeper weapon customization this time around, and more weapons in general. But really, all those are MINOR gripes. The game is absolutely awesome overall.

who said i missed that?

i despise the BROKEN MASK visuals. the BROKEN<- this. i also despise the mud-on-visor and water droplets, and being able to wipe it while in combat in the swamps, with three-four slugs shooting good at me, plus a giant shrimp and a demon trying to kill me, its a bit too confusing;

mind you, i dont find it "hard", i only find it confusing. I hate Hawken for the same reason - the overabundance of visual effects makes it impossible to follow the gameplay.

You might think it's atmospheric, i think it's annoying.

some people aren't willing to even read a forum post. talk about short attention span.

I did read your post. But if you know to wipe the mask, then whats the problem? It really never was a big deal, and adds to realism and intensity of combat. Unlike you, I very much enjoyed it, and was amazed how realistic the droplets looked on the inside of the mask. It seems to me that you were rushing to finish the game, because if you wasn't, you'd see that there are many masks littered throughout the game everywhere you go. There are constantly corpses with masks on and boxes with masks. Every time your mask gets cracked, JUST REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE! Seems to me you didn't do that.

Also, what difficulty were you playing on? I was playing on normal and there was only maybe 3 cases when my mask got severely damaged to the point of obstructing my sight, all these cases involved fighting several watchers or several nosalises at once.

I hate nosalises. They creep me out, and they are by far the most dangerous monster in the game. I didn't die to anyone or anything as much as I died to nosalises. Well.. Either way, its nothing a shotgun cannot handle. ; )

Last edited:

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
This is first game when i have max temp on GPU , 72 C with SSAA 4x.

And question i have now. Card is Gtx 680 Twin Frozr. 72C its too high while playing Metro or not:)? Thx for replies.

Last edited:

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

And question i have now. Card is Gtx 680 Twin Frozr. 72C its too high while playing Metro or not:)? Thx for replies.

Kepler's max safe temp is 97C...you are WAYYY below any temp to worry about.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
What do you guys think, should I play Metro 2033 before I jump into this one? Yes I admit I haven't played it yet heh. It's in my Steam backlog :p

monster88

Oct 30, 2012
just finished playing some 2033 a few minutes ago. decided i wanted to see how that games visual held up compared to last light's. all i can say is i'm pretty shocked at how much better last light looks. up until about a week ago, i would have said that metro 2033 still held up as one of the better looking games on the market....not the case anymore.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Just finished...awesome game.

Ranger mode + pitch black room + plasma tv really brings out the atmosphere in this game. Lighting was spectacular.

Really nice to see the fixed AI/stealth etc. Metro 2033 was bs. Once you alert one person, the whole world knows exactly where you are and starts nailing you in total darkness.

PowerK

May 29, 2012
I haven't bought this game yet. I recall I was blown away by lighting in Metro 2033. I'm guessing they improved further with Metro Last Light. For those of you currently playing, does this game look as good as Crysis 3 ?

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I haven't bought this game yet. I recall I was blown away by lighting in Metro 2033. I'm guessing they improved further with Metro Last Light. For those of you currently playing, does this game look as good as Crysis 3 ?

In terms of just raw graphics, Crysis 3 is superior imo. Crysis can also show off its gfx a lot more because of all the vegetation, sun w/ shadow effects, etc. Metro is just a dark, gritty wasteland.

Metro still looks damn good though. The atmosphere and lighting is what brings it to life. Far better game than Crysis 3 was.

monster88

Oct 30, 2012

at times, even better, imo. on a technical level? crysis 3 has it beat. c3 was also more consistent in terms of texture quality. however, when last light is showcasing its graphical prowess (which is pretty often) it looks AMAZING, like the best that there is kind of amazing.

these are with 4xSSAA @ 1600p.

11591_MetroLL_2013_05_17_17_15_36_801.png

12916_MetroLL_2013_05_17_17_26_20_404.png

23018_MetroLL_2013_05_17_17_31_11_684.png

15805_MetroLL_2013_05_17_15_58_31_816.png

63730_MetroLL_2013_05_16_17_13_06_880.png

83708_MetroLL_2013_05_17_17_36_43_812.png

42614_MetroLL_2013_05_17_17_31_38_271.png

82972_MetroLL_2013_05_17_17_14_54_011.png

71848_MetroLL_2013_05_17_16_10_48_763.png

31369_MetroLL_2013_05_17_17_35_49_185.png

monster88

Oct 30, 2012
In terms of just raw graphics, Crysis 3 is superior imo. Crysis can also show off its gfx a lot more because of all the vegetation, sun w/ shadow effects, etc. Metro is just a dark, gritty wasteland.

Metro still looks damn good though. The atmosphere and lighting is what brings it to life. Far better game than Crysis 3 was.

agreed.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

I used to play Crysis on my SLI GTX 285 SSCs at 105C...I think you are ok

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I'm working my way through it on a 3rd rig not listed below. An AMD FX8320 OC'd to 4.3 Ghz with 2 GTX660s in SLI (game came free with the purchase of the second gpu). I'm not a very skilled gamer so I'm "plodding through it. Graphics, though dark are great. Gameplay with the twin 660s is fine at 1920x1080. Very interesting game. Hey, if I get bored, I go back to bang-bang shoot em up COD BO II!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
just finished playing some 2033 a few minutes ago. decided i wanted to see how that games visual held up compared to last light's. all i can say is i'm pretty shocked at how much better last light looks. up until about a week ago, i would have said that metro 2033 still held up as one of the better looking games on the market....not the case anymore.

I actually think Max Payne 3 is pretty impressive and up there on the scale.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Geforce.com released their PhysX video for Last Light: (I'm on my phone so sorry if the link is messed up)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...vYHICw&usg=AFQjCNH7-vtWYXj26wlonYjd1TWMQsegQQ

Anyone that played Metro 2033 notice that the grenades in Last Light aren't as deadly? In Metro 2033, the grenades had shrapnel which could kill you if you got hit by them.

In Last Light though, the only way a grenade is going to kill you is if you're inside the shock wave.

Maybe it's different in Ranger mode? o_O

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Geforce.com released their PhysX video for Last Light: (I'm on my phone so sorry if the link is messed up)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...vYHICw&usg=AFQjCNH7-vtWYXj26wlonYjd1TWMQsegQQ

Anyone that played Metro 2033 notice that the grenades in Last Light aren't as deadly? In Metro 2033, the grenades had shrapnel which could kill you if you got hit by them.

In Last Light though, the only way a grenade is going to kill you is if you're inside the shock wave.

Maybe it's different in Ranger mode? o_O

The thing about this PhysX stuff is that I never notice the difference until Nvidia actually points it out side-by-side in a video.

Even in the part where they were blowing away wall-tiles with a gun, it looked identical to me. I didn't even notice the debris on the floor until they zoomed in on it.

Seems like kind of a waste of GPU processing power, IMO.

Last edited: