Metro: Last Light

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I recently beat the campaign - got the "bad ending" but not surprised by that. I must say the game was pretty amazing. The storyline was interesting most of the way through it, graphics and environment truly engrossing. There was a section probably 3/4 of the way through that was extremely atmospheric and honestly depressing. If you've not gotten there yet, you'll see what I mean.

I didn't think the character Anna and the relationship with her was flushed out well, she says a few sentences in the game and just sort of appears and disappears. Which is too bad as it could've added more meaning.

Really good game though, will probably replay it before too long. May try Ranger mode, though I'm not sure if that'll be fun or just aggravating for me.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Game is awesome. Really enjoying it.

The Logitech bug doesn't effect everyone I think. I have a G15 and have lcore running without any issue.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
LOL, this is the first PhysX game that has actually overwhelmed my GTS 250 PhysX card. Usually, devs always exaggerate the PhysX requirements and what not (see Mafia 2), but after shooting up some wooden boxes, glass windows and stone columns, the GPU usage on my overclocked GTS 250 skyrocketed to 148%, which caused the game to temporarily freeze..

Switching PhysX over to my second GTX 580 fixed the problem though, as this game isn't as GPU intensive as it's predecessor due to better optimizations..

I guess it's time to upgrade my PhysX card to a GTX 460 :biggrin:

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Been working my way through the game slowly. Overall it's pretty good, but it has a lot of little things that hold it back. I can't help but feel it could have been awesome if the company had more time and resources (especially after reading the quotes in the article posted above).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Not sure if the G13 suffers from it, but according to Guru3d, the G15 and G19 (which is what I have) do..

Disable L.core.exe and you'll likely see a massive performance increase.

yea you werent kidding...
I got double the FPS WTF!

Game is awesome. Really enjoying it.

The Logitech bug doesn't effect everyone I think. I have a G15 and have lcore running without any issue.

I am using a mangitude of logitech devices.
Killing Lcore.exe is a big problem.

Killing Lcore.exe means... i lost all my G keys on my G19 (not so important), my G13(VERY IMPORTANT) becomes absolutely useless, and i lost program ability of 11 keys on my G700(Meh i can go without) mouse.

WTF! :colbert:

seems like i can load up lcore AFTER i load up metro and avoid the frame rate decrease.
Dude... whats up with that?

Anyhow i cant game without my G13.
Its very hard to go back to a normal keyboard after ur brain has gotten used to a G13.

Any words on a update fix for it?

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

You're right... looks like I'm not affected either. People with the issue are saying their framerate is being limited to 30fps; I'm running Logitech Gaming software and my framerate is much higher than that so I think I'm good. I have a G105.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
two-three hours in and i'm less than excited; doesn't get any more linear than this. hardly even a shooter since everything i've seen up until now is scripted. i've yet to get to the "game" part, where my actions actually influence what happens on the screen. will give it another 2-4 hours, at most.:colbert:

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
two-three hours in and i'm less than excited; doesn't get any more linear than this. hardly even a shooter since everything i've seen up until now is scripted. i've yet to get to the "game" part, where my actions actually influence what happens on the screen. will give it another 2-4 hours, at most.:colbert:

Yeah sound's like cr@p and pretty much what I get from many reviews out there. I don't think I will even take a look at it, it bores me already just from reading those reviews.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
It sounds like this game is similar to metro 2033; very high quality but rather short.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
It sounds like this game is similar to metro 2033; very high quality but rather short.

I think it's significantly better than Metro 2033 was, in terms of graphics, gameplay, performance and atmosphere; the latter in particular.

Trust me when I say there are some creepy moments in this game..

Also, the story is very good so far. As a long time PC gamer and someone that played the first game, I highly recommend Metro Last Light.. :cool:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It's definitely very linear, but for what it is - a highly atmospheric single player experience, it's an amazing game and a real step up from 2033.

Graphics wise it's really impeccable and the immersion factor is off the charts. I'm enjoying it as much as I did Bioshock Infinite.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
nah this is definitely not a bioshock killer.
Bioshock i feel can only be beaten by tomb raider if u like that type of fast pace combo button mashing style.

Right now metro is ranking below those two.

My honest advice.... if tomb raider goes on sale again.. get that instead.
If u dont have bioshock... well.... bioshock i feel is 2013 game of the year so far when it comes to story.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
I really wish there were more games developed by the Ukrainians / Russians. They just have a certain aesthetic that I really like.....a sort of dark sense of hopelessness that is both haunting and beautiful.

I would give anything for another S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Russia 2028 still shows signs of development, so there is still hope, but these small devs face a huge uphill battle getting enough money to bring project to release.

A new S.T.A.L.K.E.R(ish) MMO

Then there always Arma II Combined Ops.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
So I'm playing in Ranger mode (though, not Ranger+), which in most cases still really isn't quite hard enough. However, how do you know how many bullets you actually have? I understand not actually plastering it on a HUD, but I can't seem to find it in a menu or anything. Also, does this game have regenerative health? I never seem to actually need the health packs.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I guess I can see how you feel it's all scripted...much of the beginning is. I don't personally think that's a bad thing most of the time. I honestly didn't find it all that linear, not as much as Metro 2033 anyway. You can do a lot of exploring, which I did just because some of the environments were so neat. I explored almost every nook and cranny, and lots of out of the way areas have special scripted scenes - like coming across a small room with a window and a monster runs by, etc..

I thought the story was pretty good, and it along with the atmosphere is very immersive. I also found it to be rather long for a single player FPS.

I'd say it's better than Bioshock Infinite any day. I thought Infinite had a really stupid story - it had all these stuff about American history mixed with old racist ideals and manifest destiny, and wounded knee and the boxer rebellion - but in the end absolutely none of that mattered with the actual story. I felt it tried to hard to be edgy without any real substance.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
So I'm playing in Ranger mode (though, not Ranger+), which in most cases still really isn't quite hard enough. However, how do you know how many bullets you actually have? I understand not actually plastering it on a HUD, but I can't seem to find it in a menu or anything. Also, does this game have regenerative health? I never seem to actually need the health packs.

1. nopers

2. yeppers

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
nah this is definitely not a bioshock killer.
Bioshock i feel can only be beaten by tomb raider if u like that type of fast pace combo button mashing style.

Right now metro is ranking below those two.

My honest advice.... if tomb raider goes on sale again.. get that instead.
If u dont have bioshock... well.... bioshock i feel is 2013 game of the year so far when it comes to story.

Yes but, neither Bioshock nor Tomb Raider had a fully functional subterranean strip club. :biggrin:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I really don't like the air filter mechanic. I like taking my time and looking at the scenery, instead the game sort of forces you to rush through areas due to the air timer.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
I really don't like the air filter mechanic. I like taking my time and looking at the scenery, instead the game sort of forces you to rush through areas due to the air timer.

Yeah, I don't care for it either. Although I do feel that the filter timer is longer in LL than it was in 2033. I don't remember having 5 minutes per filter in 2033.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
six minutes actually. when it beeps, you have 1 minute left (and you can stretch that too).

i also despise the broken mask visuals, sometimes between that and the monster blood it becomes impossible to see anything.

anyway, yesterday i was on the venice level .. and yet again i left the game running while i waited for the "plotline" to be explained (excruciatingly slow), waiting for the bits where i actually get to do some play. i'm in the swamp now, but i think i will call it a day.

Imho LL is just a colletion of awsome graphics; if there's a game somewhere in there, i haven't found it yet.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
six minutes actually. when it beeps, you have 1 minute left (and you can stretch that too).

i also despise the broken mask visuals, sometimes between that and the monster blood it becomes impossible to see anything.

Tap G once and you wipe off the front of your mask.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005

anyway, yesterday i was on the venice level .. and yet again i left the game running while i waited for the "plotline" to be explained (excruciatingly slow), waiting for the bits where i actually get to do some play. i'm in the swamp now, but i think i will call it a day.

Imho LL is just a colletion of awsome graphics; if there's a game somewhere in there, i haven't found it yet.

Lol... Shows just how little attention people are wiling to put into the game before stating opinions... When I was playing, the game clearly tells you to do that. How this guy missed it is beyond me. Must have been lighting up a joint as this info was being shown on the screen...

"and yet again i left the game running while i waited for the "plotline" to be explained (excruciatingly slow), waiting for the bits where i actually get to do some play. i'm in the swamp now, but i think i will call it a day." -- But if instant gratification is what you want, why did you waste your money on this game? You should be playing Counter Strike and Team Fortress ONLY. Maybe Call of Duty as well. What is it that you wanted exactly? To finish the game in a few hours and call it a day, moving on to something else?

I'm amazed this guy made it to the marshes after Venice seeing how he hates the game so much. That's a level of persistence one can be jealous of. (oh and by the way, you can quit now dude, cause you're nowhere near the end at this point. And there's a lot more story telling coming up if you choose to press on.)

Last edited:

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Finished the game and I guess I got the "bad" ending. The outside environment took me by surprise in its beauty. It would make a good HL3 engine that is for sure. And the real-time physics had my computer go into a crawl. Though I do hope the find a way to make it more affordable to add it into future games more frequently as it does improve the gaming experience greatly.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

who said i missed that?

i despise the BROKEN MASK visuals. the BROKEN<- this. i also despise the mud-on-visor and water droplets, and being able to wipe it while in combat in the swamps, with three-four slugs shooting good at me, plus a giant shrimp and a demon trying to kill me, its a bit too confusing;

mind you, i dont find it "hard", i only find it confusing. I hate Hawken for the same reason - the overabundance of visual effects makes it impossible to follow the gameplay.

You might think it's atmospheric, i think it's annoying.
Lol... Shows just how little attention people are wiling to put into the game before stating opinions...

some people aren't willing to even read a forum post. talk about short attention span.