Metro: Last Light

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monster88

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah ,there are a lot of textures that are not as good as 2033 .I am dissapoint.

lolwut? the very first thing i noticed about last light was how much better the textures look compared to metro 2033. almost every surface, object, wall, etc., is highly detailed and of very high quality. it's not maldo hd, but it is damn good.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
The game features plenty of shadow-flickering and problems with the lighting. Hooray! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTJp_p2NLQ

This game is unplayable for me until they fix it.[/QUOTEI
just played 2 hrs of the game and never saw any of that.
a update came out today[98mb ?] + new nv drivers both loaded before the game install.
-running old cards , very high preset @ 2560x1440 around 60 fps.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The character models seem off. I'm not sure what kind of technique they used to save resources but they look like paper cut outs. They also seem to have this wavy black banding around them when they're moving around like they don't occupy the same space as the world around them.

Though other than that, I'm actually enjoying the game so far. Guns are easy to shoot and don't recoil up to your mouth and the narrative does not sound like its being spoken with a bunch of Russian kids with marbles in their mouths like the first one.

Last edited:

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
lolwut? the very first thing i noticed about last light was how much better the textures look compared to metro 2033. almost every surface, object, wall, etc., is highly detailed and of very high quality. it's not maldo hd, but it is damn good.

The object details in the world look surprisingly good. I actually noticed a floral pattern on a soup dish early in the game walking through the underground barracks.

The drawing distance of the character object details seem to be very short. You have to be standing no more than 2 feet away or else you see nothing but blur on them. My settings are on High for texture details and Med for tessellation. Also, like my previous post, some areas of the game the character blends into the background of the environment like a multicolored paper cut out. Seems like they're missing shadows and shaders. Could just be my graphics.

ad3pt7

Mar 7, 2013
The scene where
you're surrounded by Nazis and Pavel shoots the gun in the air before you take off running
was GREAT.

Yeah that was awesome lol. I'm really enjoying the game so far. The shooting seems more fine tuned than the first game, and the game seems to run a lot better and smoother than the original which is great. I'm using NVIDIA so I'm not sure how AMD is doing at this point in time with performance.

To me personally, I think the visuals are absolutely awesome. This and Witcher 2 are probably two of my favorite looking games.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
WOW! Started playing yesterday, and now probably about 50% into the game. Its sooooo good. I am literally GIDDY with joy and excitement. Hardly any games ever did it for me as much as Fallout, STALKER and METRO, except for maybe Planescape: Torment.

Sure, the AI is dumb again, and game takes a bit to really pick up the pace, but it does get there, and boy is it absolutely awesome! Leave it to the Russians to make "good" games when there's so few of them still being made.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Everyone needs to read this article. Really interesting insights on how such a high-tech game was developed in a harsh, dank, uncomfortable studio with minimal resources in a poor eastern european country.

Some highlights (copy/pasted from neogaf):

One evening when Dean Sharpe arrived at his apartment after a long day at the office a dangerous looking Georgian man and his three-car armed entourage greeted him. Dean was told that, lease be damned, he had a day to clear out and find a new apartment.

And all of this is compounded by the conditions this Ukrainian team works under in Kiev. The entire 4A studio would fit easily in the (underutilized) gym at EA Los Angeles' offices. Yet Last Light's Metacritic score blows away Medal of Honor Warfighter. As undeniably fantastic as competitor BioShock Infinite may be, the team was given whatever resources they needed to make the title. At the same time, 4A's staff sat on folding wedding chairs, literally elbow to elbow at card tables in what looks more like a packed grade school cafeteria than a development studio.

When 4A needed another dev kit, or high-end PC, or whatever, someone from 4A had to fly to the States and sneak it back to the Ukraine in a backpack lest it be "seized" at the border by thieving customs officials. After visiting the team I wanted to buy them Aeron office chairs, considered a fundamental human right in the west. There were no outlets in the Ukraine, and our only option was to pack a truck in Poland and try to find an "expediter" to help bribe its way down to Kiev. We gave up not because this tripled the cost, but because we realized that the wider Aeron chairs would require spreading out people and computers, which would lead to extra desks, and that ultimately would have required bigger offices. Yes, really.

Let's be honest: 4A was never playing on a level field. The budget of Last Light is less than some of its competitors spend on cut scenes, a mere 10 percent of the budget of its biggest competitors. Yet it is lauded for its story and atmosphere. It is built on a completely original and proprietary second-generation engine that competes with sequels that have stopped numbering themselves, with more engineers on their tech than 4A has on the entire project. Yet its tech chops are never in question.

If 4A had been given a more competitive budget, in a saner environment, hadn't wasted a year-plus chasing the irrational requirement of THQ's original producers to fit multiplayer and co-op into the same deadline and budget(!), hadn't had to deal with the transition to a new publisher in the crucial few months before final, what could 4A have created?

I truly enjoyed Far Cry 3, which deserved its great reviews. But how many times did Ubisoft Montreal lose power for hours or days during development? Power outages are the norm for 4A. All developers have deadlines, but I know of few that had to bring in construction generators to be able to work the weekend before final submission because an extra day meant missing shelf dates by weeks. Montreal is cold, but when it gets cold in Kiev it's different. That's because the government provides all of the heating through a central coal burning facility that pipes hot water to homes and offices. Unfortunately, it breaks down reliably a few times a year for a week at a time. Then 4A works in their parkas and struggles to keep their fingers warm in temperatures well below freezing. That is unless it snows and they get stuck home for a few days at a time because snow clearing isn't up to Western standards.

Last edited:

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
It amazes me the conditions and pay that 2nd/3rd world country developers will accept.

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
It makes me sad that they receive so little of the benefits of their creation.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
"A new update has been released on Steam, which improves AMD performance and offers FOV customization. Patch notes:

1. Optimized performance for AMD hardware.
2. Fixed shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards.
3. Fixed issue with game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TV’s.
4. Added attribute "r_base_fov" in the user.cfg file, which will allow you to change FOV. The attribute will appear in the user.cfg configuration file, located in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL" after starting up the game.

If the patch does not automatically download for you, restart your Steam client."

And someone should bring the 4A team and their families over here and set them up in a nice place so they can really work on making a great game. Heck we should start a kickstarter fund for it

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Here is a video of their studio during the making of Last Light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJ8IMG7Dgg

It doesn't look that bad, maybe a little cramped, but it looks nice.

And LOL @ Kiev being 2nd/3rd world. Yea, OK. It isn't Manhattan but it sure isn't Mumbai.

lol yeah that doesn't look too bad. Not what that article would have you believe. It said fold-out chairs and fold-out tables. I see some decent chairs and desks...still cramped, but not horribly so. Definitely no worse than you see at a LAN party.

And yeah I didn't think Kiev was too backwards, Ukraines been an industrial forerunner in Europe since the USSR. Also really didn't buy the whole story about having to smuggle PCs from the USA into Ukraine...

That article will make you think they had a handful of guys in a shack in the middle of Sibera, not an office in downtown Kiev. Ukraine is definitely not 3rd world, maybe 2nd world in some areas - but heck you could say places here in Kentucky are 2nd world; no internet, no central plumbing...

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
There's a nasty bug for those that are using Logitech keyboard software. If you have the software enabled, it will basically halve your frame rate, so make sure it's disabled.

And what FOV would you recommend for a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
"A new update has been released on Steam, which improves AMD performance and offers FOV customization. Patch notes:

1. Optimized performance for AMD hardware.
2. Fixed shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards.
3. Fixed issue with game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TV’s.
4. Added attribute "r_base_fov" in the user.cfg file, which will allow you to change FOV. The attribute will appear in the user.cfg configuration file, located in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL" after starting up the game.

If the patch does not automatically download for you, restart your Steam client."

And someone should bring the 4A team and their families over here and set them up in a nice place so they can really work on making a great game. Heck we should start a kickstarter fund for it

Yes, this actually fixed the paper cut out problem for me.

After reading that article about what the developers went thru was a good eye opener. The work environment and the year wasted is inexcusable, but throwing money at something does not always mean a better product. A good work culture, open communication, and a competent staff does not need money thrown at them to make a good game (although their salaries and work place location rightfully so).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
There's a nasty bug for those that are using Logitech keyboard software. If you have the software enabled, it will basically halve your frame rate, so make sure it's disabled.

Can you link to a thread/source on this with more details? Is it the Logitech Gaming Keyboard software? That's what I use. :(

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Ugh...dammit. I'm around half way through the game and now none of the enemies are moving.

They stand still, I shoot them and they don't even fall down.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

are u kidding me?

is that what ive been noticing?

No matter what i do i cant disable vsync or get past the 30fps barrier regardless of settings.

And disabling my gaming software is a no no no no no.... that kills my G13.
I dont like gaming without my G13.

:\

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

lol

Back in the early CS:Source days I remember the Logitech software causing me all sorts of issues. The software has gotten a lot better, but I just find it funny that there are still games that have problems with it.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Can you link to a thread/source on this with more details? Is it the Logitech Gaming Keyboard software? That's what I use. :(

I perchance saw it in the Guru3d review after wondering why my performance was so terrible. I was basically getting 25 FPS on a SLI machine:

Update : Small tip from our forum user S.t.a.l.k.e.r : It should be noted that there is currently a bug (Either in the game or in the software) that can cut your FPS by more than 50% and GPU usage by the same if you are running Logitech Gaming Software (For Keyboards like the G19, G15 and other Logitech devices). Disable the LCore.exe process before running the game.​

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
are u kidding me?

is that what ive been noticing?

No matter what i do i cant disable vsync or get past the 30fps barrier regardless of settings.

And disabling my gaming software is a no no no no no.... that kills my G13.
I dont like gaming without my G13.

:\

Not sure if the G13 suffers from it, but according to Guru3d, the G15 and G19 (which is what I have) do..

Disable L.core.exe and you'll likely see a massive performance increase.