Metro: Last Light

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I really need to play 2033 again. I got out of the first area and to the surface, but just never got into it.

I'm a big proponent of original games... I need to give it another day in court...

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I really need to play 2033 again. I got out of the first area and to the surface, but just never got into it.

I'm a big proponent of original games... I need to give it another day in court...

I took on that task a few months ago. One of those games in Steam I decided to reinstall. It's a unique game that offers something different from other post apocalyptic games.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I took on that task a few months ago. One of those games in Steam I decided to reinstall. It's a unique game that offers something different from other post apocalyptic games.

I really wish there were more games developed by the Ukrainians / Russians. They just have a certain aesthetic that I really like.....a sort of dark sense of hopelessness that is both haunting and beautiful.

I would give anything for another S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Russia 2028 still shows signs of development, so there is still hope, but these small devs face a huge uphill battle getting enough money to bring project to release.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I really wish there were more games developed by the Ukrainians / Russians. They just have a certain aesthetic that I really like.....a sort of dark sense of hopelessness that is both haunting and beautiful.

I would give anything for another S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Russia 2028 still shows signs of development, so there is still hope, but these small devs face a huge uphill battle getting enough money to bring project to release.
I'd love to see another S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as well, even though Clear Skies nearly broke me from the franchise.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Wow.....that's some BS.

The bad thing is, this is publisher-related bullsh%t (as most stuff is), but a lot of people will slam the developer, who had nothing to do with the decision, and in the end, it has the potential to really hurt their reputation.

Too bad THQ went under and wasn't able to get this out before doing so.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
DLCs, pre-order bonuses, limited editions, etc. is what pushes me towards viewing piracy as pretty acceptable.

Punish those who legally purchase the game after its release, while you could just pirate it so easily and actually get 100% of the content for it.

And yeah seems like the publisher forced them to do this...sad

Still, very excited for Last Light. Two days!

Oh, and by the way, Last Light has leaked online - at least the PS3 version

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Wow.....that's some BS.

The bad thing is, this is publisher-related bullsh%t (as most stuff is), but a lot of people will slam the developer, who had nothing to do with the decision, and in the end, it has the potential to really hurt their reputation.

Too bad THQ went under and wasn't able to get this out before doing so.

It was THQ who originally had this as the preorder deal. Deep Silver is just continuing it.

I think it is truly bullshit as well and I feel bad for the devs because they will be the ones to suffer from this dumb call the publishers did.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
DLCs, pre-order bonuses, limited editions, etc. is what pushes me towards viewing piracy as pretty acceptable.

Thing is....that doesn't solve anything. Game experiences poor sales and tons of people pirate it. The publisher blames the developer for not making a good enough game (ignoring that they're the reason gamers were pissed).

Publisher drops the IP. Dev closes house and lots of people lose their jobs, and we never see another game from the series.

Sucks all the way around, but in the end it's the developer who pays for the publisher's bad decisions, and that's very sad.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Ultimately the devs accepted what the publisher pushed on them. They will suffer the consequences of doing it together. The protest vote against such practices by not buying the game does send a message, but its mixed in with piracy figures, with poor sales in general and they don't know why it was that it didn't sell. If they learn the right lesson they survive, if they learn the wrong one they go out of business.

This is capitalism at work, these guys don't deserve to be in business if they can't get the players.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I don't know the specific of this case but I know in the past frequently the developers do not have much of an option. Is there a reason why you think the developers had a choice here ?

Ultimately the devs accepted what the publisher pushed on them. They will suffer the consequences of doing it together. The protest vote against such practices by not buying the game does send a message, but its mixed in with piracy figures, with poor sales in general and they don't know why it was that it didn't sell. If they learn the right lesson they survive, if they learn the wrong one they go out of business.

This is capitalism at work, these guys don't deserve to be in business if they can't get the players.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
It was THQ's idea to push ranger-mode as DLC, not Deep Silver's.

Actually, if I had to guess, Deep Silver probably wanted to get rid of the controversial pre-order bonus. But they didn't do it because the game was already too close to release, and if they changed it, people who already pre-ordered the game may have felt ripped off.

Of course... it still didn't work out well because now pretty much everyone's angry. It would've been smarter to just quietly remove the Ranger DLC and deal with a handful of angry customers rather than deal with the huge PR debacle they're facing now.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
This GMG code says it's for Rome Total War 2 but I just used it successfully on Metro LL. 25% off.

GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Ya I literally followed nothing about this game beyond "improved more open world version of the first one," so unfortunately when I saw it was actually coming out in two days I preordered and then saw this thread and figured I'd post the code. Wish I hadn't now, this is exactly the type of thing I try to punish these awful publishers for by not buying.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I had never heard about the ranger mode being a special bonus only for preordering. So that makes me wanna wait until this game is $10 before I buy it. Sorry whoever will lose out on my money but I cannot support this dick move(IMO). We have to draw the line somewhere and I draw it here. I even preordered it but I'll save $40 and wait for the inevitable steam sale. Oh well...I am sure its a good game but even if I got ranger mode for free and even if I never used it, I feel its a dick move. Plus they tout is as "the way the game was meant to be played". So what comes on the disk is not the real game to them. Terrible decision and I bet this will be the last metro game we get because the backlash against this is getting big.

Also why did they only announce this when it was so close to release? Why didn't we hear about this months ago?

I usually don't care what they release for dlc but difficulty levels is going too far.

Last edited:

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Does it release today? I thought it was tomorrow but they posted this on Facebook

"Reviews for Metro: Last Light will go online at 5 PM GMT/6 PM CET/12 PM EDT/9 AM PDT!

Still have questions, from unlock time, to the the comic book, to Ranger Mode, to PC video options? A lot of them are answered in this Steam thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/810924134054557610/"

edit: oh I guess they were talking about reviews being released, weird