Metro Exodus Update Shows Huge Improvements With NVIDIA DLSS

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Funny, no replies, probably because showing this stuff working doesn't fit in the general anti DLSS/RTX echo chamber that seems to have been building around here.

As an RTX 2080 Ti owner, what echo chamber? There is only like one guy around here who I believe RTX killed his dog, everyone else is rightfully criticizing NV for the roll out. I'm a very easy going guy, but at $1200 for my RTX 2080 Ti to have features still waiting to be used outside a few games, throw in even the first attempts were bad you have to just go with it. NV screwed up releasing these products/features. DLSS should have NEVER been what we got. Why even show it if it was THAT bad? If they had a patch freaking leave it disabled until the patch comes out. You aren't going to win anyone's vote of confidence.

I'm more upset with DLSS than I am with my card in the shop. One issue is out of NV's hands, the other is completely their own doing.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Funny, no replies, probably because showing this stuff working doesn't fit in the general anti DLSS/RTX echo chamber that seems to have been building around here.
What a sad world we live in, where "doesn't look like camel dung" means "it's working".

Did you watch the videos? I've marked the right section for you:

So it still doesn't beat 1800p in performance or IQ, and in fact they mention extra shimmering with DLSS. Not to mention it's still locked to hardware/resolution/DXR combinations which need a chart to figure out, unlike upscaling that works everwhere.

When you spend ten years making deeeeeeep learning and still can't beat basic upscaling, it's time to acknowledge it's a complete and utter failure. nVidia should be sued for fraud and false advertizing.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The silence was to let the dead horse rest in peace and instead give Nvidia get the proper positive spotlight of the 1660Ti launch. But I guess pride wars are more important than covering good products.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
more positive reviews /opinions.

"Metro Exodus DLSS Update VS Day One | RTX 2080 Ti | 1440p The Blur Has Been Fixed !"

That's not an opinion/review its a benchmark video with no commentary.

The studio making this game likely got huge amounts of help from Nvidia to improve DLSS. I can't see the games I play (no AAA FPS) having DLSS even reach these heights.

If DLS looks no better than playing at a lower resolution, I really don't see the point of it.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
That's not an opinion/review its a benchmark video with no commentary.

The studio making this game likely got huge amounts of help from Nvidia to improve DLSS. I can't see the games I play (no AAA FPS) having DLSS even reach these heights.

If DLS looks no better than playing at a lower resolution, I really don't see the point of it.
"the blur has been fixed" was written by the video maker.
that's his opinion.

Reactions: Innokentij

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
It'd be nice to get more DLSS vs regular upscaling vs regular upscalling + other AA modes.

What's worse, some comparisons of pre-patch vs regular upscaling were especially damning, as regular upscaling looked better and ran better (very slightly) than DLSS.

Major issues with DLSS aren't *only* that it looked like crap, but that it looked like crap for a full week after release when most early adopters would have already beaten the game or had access to equally functional traditional upscaling.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Beat it in a week?
Wish I had time just to play it.

I agree I cannot speak for you personally (as for myself, I'm sitting this round of cards out and I've finally started a committed play through of Metro 2033 after all he hype surrounding Exodus) but I figure the audience that has access to DLSS (the $350+ must have the newest tech RTX crowd) isn't dropping that kind of coin on their gaming cards to put in an hour a week.

Additionally, the day 1 purchase people aren't buying the game to have it sit in their library, they're the people taking a day off to fully enjoy the game.

The rest of us will pick the game up in a year on discount on steam, then wait 2-3 years to actually play it as we clear our backlog on our 1080p60hz monitors wih no regard for DLSS or anything else.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
As an RTX 2080 Ti owner, what echo chamber? There is only like one guy around here who I believe RTX killed his dog, everyone else is rightfully criticizing NV for the roll out. I'm a very easy going guy, but at $1200 for my RTX 2080 Ti to have features still waiting to be used outside a few games, throw in even the first attempts were bad you have to just go with it. NV screwed up releasing these products/features. DLSS should have NEVER been what we got. Why even show it if it was THAT bad? If they had a patch freaking leave it disabled until the patch comes out. You aren't going to win anyone's vote of confidence.

I'm more upset with DLSS than I am with my card in the shop. One issue is out of NV's hands, the other is completely their own doing.

Same. Also own an RTX 2080 Ti and an RTX 2080. I still don't care for DLSS. Maybe it will eventually beat 1800p upscaling. Maybe it won't. Wasn't a selling point for me. I'd rather run in native 4K.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The blur is definitely still visible. I would absolutely keep DLSS off, but I can't say it is unbearable.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Is it just me or does DLSS seem to adjust lighting from its original state?

Many of the static comparisons I have seen show a brighter image with DLSS, and usually somewhat flatter luminance overall than the more balanced luminance seen in non-DLSS mode.

I'd also be interested to see if any DoF comparisons show DLSS sharpening objects that are supposed to be out of focus, as broad upsampling without DoF context awareness might well do more harm than good here.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
It's getting better, but then it can still ruthlessly murder fine detail like this:

OFF.png

ON.png

RIP clothing.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Is it just me or does DLSS seem to adjust lighting from its original state?

Many of the static comparisons I have seen show a brighter image with DLSS, and usually somewhat flatter luminance overall than the more balanced luminance seen in non-DLSS mode.

I'd also be interested to see if any DoF comparisons show DLSS sharpening objects that are supposed to be out of focus, as broad upsampling without DoF context awareness might well do more harm than good here.

I don't know about post patch, but a lot of the pre-patch and and BF5 shots the colors are definitely off. Almost as if someone had a saturation slider and cranked it one direction or another. Usually it was a slight shift but in some scenes it made it look like it was supposed to be lit by a setting sun or something. DOF comparison would be interesting as well though I usually don't care for DOF.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It looks massively better. Nvidia was foolish to allow the developers to release it in the original crap state it was in.

Compared to a lot of launches recently (Fallout 76 and more recently Anthem spring to mind) this game is practically a shining example of polish.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Compared to a lot of launches recently (Fallout 76 and more recently Anthem spring to mind) this game is practically a shining example of polish.

Fallout 76 was the game no one asked for or wanted, and it came out playing like a bowl of diarrhea. Even if Metro came out with great performance and graphics, it's ashame that Nvidia's big touted performance boosting feature was botched so bad. With RTX sales slumping, they need better execution.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Fallout 76 was the game no one asked for or wanted, and it came out playing like a bowl of diarrhea. Even if Metro came out with great performance and graphics, it's ashame that Nvidia's big touted performance boosting feature was botched so bad. With RTX sales slumping, they need better execution.

How many people didn't even notice the problem because the game wasn't being sold on Steam? NVidia needs to back a game that everyone is going to be playing.