message from a friend in iraq

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I'm all for good news, and I hope the op's friend remains safe as well as the many others over there...

As to "the surge" working - the fact that the U.S. is paying for them to not attack us takes all of the wind out of the sails of "us making progress."

Yeah, the arresting of hundreds of criminals, and the resultant near collapse of JAM, the local elections, the building of a new hospital and 3 new clinics, the renovating of five schools, the repaving of streets and trash pick up, two new markets with two more on the way, the fixing of the sewer systems and the reonciliation process which has Shia and Sunni sitting down at the same table at least twice weekly to peacefully work out their differences, etc. etc. etc., all precipitated by my unit (surge unit) has NOTHING to do with anything.:roll:

Thank you. You're all doing a great service to the Iraqi people and to your country.

I really wish we would have finished the job and taken Saddam down the first time. I was a 30 year old airborne ground pounder at the time but I was still all in. In sucks to be watching from the sidelines and hearing all the anti-war BS from people who don't have a clue.

Stay safe and know that we're proud of you all.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
I appreciate her service and everything she does in the name of her country. Yah have to respect her for that.

NOW, let's get her ass home where it belongs and let the Iraqi's have their oil and defend their country as they are more than capable of doing.

No, More. Nation. Building.
Exactly, just like Bush said during the 2000 campaign.

:laugh::(

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Jeff7
I appreciate her service and everything she does in the name of her country. Yah have to respect her for that.

NOW, let's get her ass home where it belongs and let the Iraqi's have their oil and defend their country as they are more than capable of doing.

Exactly, just like Bush said during the 2000 campaign.

:laugh::(

No more nation building, but nation demolition is OK?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Friend of mine is in Iraq as well on his first tour. He's hated the past 14 months. After the reduction in violence...he doesnt get to shoot at anybody anymore.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I am glad she feels safe, but it does remind me of the joke; "Two drunks called over the hotel bartender to settle a bet, "Is this the, the ah, Bay-rooth Hilton or the Bay-zhing?"

gentobu

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2001
Wow, is that what we're paying hundreds of millions of dollars per day for?

If so, get her lazy ass back to the US. Mission accomplished.
Three tours to Iraq and she's lazy. Right.:roll:

Have her patrol the streets instead of having the comfort and security of the green zone. I bet you'll see her opinion change in an instant. My father's friend's son has to patrol the streets of Baghdad and every now and then he sends emails about how shot his nerves are everyday and his messages are full of religious overtones like he's living every day as if it's his last.

I know, lets put someone else's child through that. Great idea!:roll:

Shit, forget what I was going to type. I think your reality trumps hers any day. Her callous account of her seemingly safe life as compared to her fellow troops is somewhat unsettling. I hope she enjoys her Whopper tonight.

Her 'callous' account indicates that on her other two tours, she's lived on FOBs that weren't nearly as nice as the one she is on now.

It's pathetic how some of you choose to vilify this soldier based on one message to her friends and family. You don't know what her job is yet you call her lazy and suggest that she go out on patrols. She might be an admin clerk and never step foot off base, or she could be an MP or HUMINT collector and go out every single day! You don't know any of that, yet you choose to jump to conclusions about her situation and character.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Thats right. The purpose of our military, contrary to popular belief, is to occupy US bases and run 10 miles a day and practice shooting their killing machines at the gun range.

The US Constitution

Article I
Section 8
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States ...

Article IV
Section 4
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion

Any questions ??

You do realise that neither article I or IV applies here? The "protect each of them against Invasion" obviously refers to the States of America.

I guess that is all i have to ask on this matter.

JoS you basicly answered my response that blackangst chose not to. It is not the purpose of the US military to 'build nations'. I cited the constitutionally-defined purpose of the US military.

George Bush, October 3, 2000
" If we don?t stop extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions, then we?re going to have a serious problem coming down the road, and I?m going to prevent that."

George Bush, October 11, 2000
"I don't think our troops ought to be used for what's called nation-building. . . . I think what we need to do is convince people who live in the lands they live in to build the nations. Maybe I'm missing something here. I mean, we're going to have a kind of nation-building corps from America? Absolutely not."

It seems Our Glorious and Fearless Leader had a change of heart.

It's past time to declare victory and redeploy. There is not a single reason to put any more American kids' lives at risk in a continuing nation-building exercise.

Limited SpOps are all that is needed to corner what few AQ commanders we need to snuff. Training may continue. We have a few more priorities than spending $12 billion a month in Iraq.

Maybe they could spend some of it fixing the VA :(

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

Thats right. The purpose of our military, contrary to popular belief, is to occupy US bases and run 10 miles a day and practice shooting their killing machines at the gun range.

The US Constitution

Article I
Section 8
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States ...

Article IV
Section 4
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion

Any questions ??

You do realise that neither article I or IV applies here? The "protect each of them against Invasion" obviously refers to the States of America.

I guess that is all i have to ask on this matter.

JoS you basicly answered my response that blackangst chose not to. It is not the purpose of the US military to 'build nations'. I cited the constitutionally-defined purpose of the US military.

George Bush, October 3, 2000
" If we don?t stop extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions, then we?re going to have a serious problem coming down the road, and I?m going to prevent that."

George Bush, October 11, 2000
"I don't think our troops ought to be used for what's called nation-building. . . . I think what we need to do is convince people who live in the lands they live in to build the nations. Maybe I'm missing something here. I mean, we're going to have a kind of nation-building corps from America? Absolutely not."

It seems Our Glorious and Fearless Leader had a change of heart.

It's past time to declare victory and redeploy. There is not a single reason to put any more American kids' lives at risk in a continuing nation-building exercise.

Limited SpOps are all that is needed to corner what few AQ commanders we need to snuff. Training may continue. We have a few more priorities than spending $12 billion a month in Iraq.

Maybe they could spend some of it fixing the VA :(

Well...in spite of what you may think, besides protecting our homeland, it is also our military's duty to protect our allies, and to secure our interests abroad. Like it or not, it is what it is. But, as we all know, there is a fine line between doing so and being regarded as the world's police. That discussion will never be settled. We've been nation building since we dropped the bomb in Japan, and given how global our economy and relationships are, it isnt going to change.

*shrug* Im not saying you're wrong, just a differeng opinion I guess. There is no right or wrong answer in this regard.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I'm all for good news, and I hope the op's friend remains safe as well as the many others over there...

As to "the surge" working - the fact that the U.S. is paying for them to not attack us takes all of the wind out of the sails of "us making progress."

Yeah, the arresting of hundreds of criminals, and the resultant near collapse of JAM, the local elections, the building of a new hospital and 3 new clinics, the renovating of five schools, the repaving of streets and trash pick up, two new markets with two more on the way, the fixing of the sewer systems and the reonciliation process which has Shia and Sunni sitting down at the same table at least twice weekly to peacefully work out their differences, etc. etc. etc., all precipitated by my unit (surge unit) has NOTHING to do with anything.:roll:

Sir, I didn't mean to slight any progress and the work done by you and others in Iraq.

But as long as we're paying them to not fight, then what are we building on?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Good reports.

A friend of mine's 2 sons are on their third tour as well. They have said similar things, and that the news makes it sound like theirs death everywhere. There isnt.

of course we really haven't heard much about that the last few months have we?

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: daveymark
I only need to hear about atrocities. doom and gloom is what I need to hear, not this happy go lucky garbage. if it is even true.

if it bleeds it leads..

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Okay this post is very misleading. Glad am not the only one who picked up on the fact that everything is fine in US bases in Iraq in terms of luxury items available to our troops. Now step outside the base and go live amongst the Iraqis and tell me it's all hunky dory. It's like someone saying everything is fine in their home thus their neighborhood. Of course you then take in account that this person has yet to leave their home and will never step outside of it and they live in a crime ridden ghetto with daily drug related shootings and rampant crime. Take away the barb wire, heavy weapons and air cover and then tell me if everything is fine. Give me a fucking break.