• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

message from a friend in iraq

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
16,701
59
91
she posted this bulletin on myspace

she just got there. its her third tour

So yeah I have made it to my final destination and I am all settled in. This place is a joke to be honest with you. I have a room all to myself that has internet and cable. I have a truck to drive around the base. We have an indoor and outdoor swimming pool. For food we got Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut and I don't even want to know what else. There are "clubs" here, don't get it confused with the ones back home. Ummm our PX is the size of Walgreen?s. I don't know it is just crazy. So trust me when I say, you all have nothing to worry about. I have a better chance getting hit by a car at night then anything else happening.

At the same time I am glad. This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years. We would not be as successful as we are today if it wasn't for all the men and women sacrificing everything for this country.

Anyways, I don't want to get on my soap box. So yeah hit me up on email if you want. Take care. Miss you all.

Barb
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,464
719
126
Good reports.

A friend of mine's 2 sons are on their third tour as well. They have said similar things, and that the news makes it sound like theirs death everywhere. There isnt.
 

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
8,199
0
71
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
she posted this bulletin on myspace

she just got there. its her third tour

So yeah I have made it to my final destination and I am all settled in. This place is a joke to be honest with you. I have a room all to myself that has internet and cable. I have a truck to drive around the base. We have an indoor and outdoor swimming pool. For food we got Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut and I don't even want to know what else. There are "clubs" here, don't get it confused with the ones back home. Ummm our PX is the size of Walgreen?s. I don't know it is just crazy. So trust me when I say, you all have nothing to worry about. I have a better chance getting hit by a car at night then anything else happening.

At the same time I am glad. This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years. We would not be as successful as we are today if it wasn't for all the men and women sacrificing everything for this country.

Anyways, I don't want to get on my soap box. So yeah hit me up on email if you want. Take care. Miss you all.

Barb
green zone
 

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
46,057
61
91
Heh, sounds like she wont be leaving the base much. If that's true then yes, odds of danger are low.
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,214
2
0
This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years.
For US troops. Obviously her experience does mirror that of a guy walking around with his son's arm wondering where the body is.
 

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
16,991
0
0
Is it just me or is this message a bit of a slap in the face to the soldiers who are living in dangerous situations?
 

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
11,547
0
76
Originally posted by: Robor
Is it just me or is this message a bit of a slap in the face to the soldiers who are living in dangerous situations?
No, it's not. The majority of our soldiers are support, so this is nothing new. Heck, like most cops, most troops go their entire tours without firing a single shot.

And this isn't just in the Green Zone. Other large FOBs are just as developed, and nearly as safe.

But shhhhh, don't tell the media, k? good...
 

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
6,289
0
0
I appreciate her service and everything she does in the name of her country. Yah have to respect her for that.

NOW, let's get her ass home where it belongs and let the Iraqi's have their oil and defend their country as they are more than capable of doing.

No, More. Nation. Building.
 

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
10,576
1
0
I only need to hear about atrocities. doom and gloom is what I need to hear, not this happy go lucky garbage. if it is even true.
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,214
2
0
But shhhhh, don't tell the media, k? good...
If you look at the number of troops who've been to Iraq and the numbers either killed or injured, the chances are obviously much less than 50% of being a troop who encounters a problem, but they're still quite substantial.
 

gentobu

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2001
1,546
0
0
Originally posted by: Vonkhan
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
she posted this bulletin on myspace

she just got there. its her third tour

So yeah I have made it to my final destination and I am all settled in. This place is a joke to be honest with you. I have a room all to myself that has internet and cable. I have a truck to drive around the base. We have an indoor and outdoor swimming pool. For food we got Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut and I don't even want to know what else. There are "clubs" here, don't get it confused with the ones back home. Ummm our PX is the size of Walgreen?s. I don't know it is just crazy. So trust me when I say, you all have nothing to worry about. I have a better chance getting hit by a car at night then anything else happening.

At the same time I am glad. This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years. We would not be as successful as we are today if it wasn't for all the men and women sacrificing everything for this country.

Anyways, I don't want to get on my soap box. So yeah hit me up on email if you want. Take care. Miss you all.

Barb
green zone
Sounds more like LSA Anaconda to me.
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,464
719
126
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
I appreciate her service and everything she does in the name of her country. Yah have to respect her for that.

NOW, let's get her ass home where it belongs and let the Iraqi's have their oil and defend their country as they are more than capable of doing.

No, More. Nation. Building.
Thats right. The purpose of our military, contrary to popular belief, is to occupy US bases and run 10 miles a day and practice shooting their killing machines at the gun range.
 

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
10,973
14
76
They can do all that here in the USA. We don't need to be in other countries to practice shooting and run 10 miles a day
 

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
4,294
0
76
Almost certainly it's the Camp Victory complex. The biggest worry there might be getting a ticket from an MP.
 

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
6,435
79
91
Originally posted by: gentobu
Originally posted by: Vonkhan
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
she posted this bulletin on myspace

she just got there. its her third tour

So yeah I have made it to my final destination and I am all settled in. This place is a joke to be honest with you. I have a room all to myself that has internet and cable. I have a truck to drive around the base. We have an indoor and outdoor swimming pool. For food we got Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut and I don't even want to know what else. There are "clubs" here, don't get it confused with the ones back home. Ummm our PX is the size of Walgreen?s. I don't know it is just crazy. So trust me when I say, you all have nothing to worry about. I have a better chance getting hit by a car at night then anything else happening.

At the same time I am glad. This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years. We would not be as successful as we are today if it wasn't for all the men and women sacrificing everything for this country.

Anyways, I don't want to get on my soap box. So yeah hit me up on email if you want. Take care. Miss you all.

Barb
green zone
Sounds more like LSA Anaconda to me.
Yep; the PX in Baghdad is/was much bigger than a Walgreens. The place was like a shopping mall in '04. Probably even bigger now.

 

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
7,451
0
0
I'm glad those bases are safe, impregnable havens for our troops.

Making them permanent without Congress's approval will be much easier.
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,464
719
126
Originally posted by: magomago
They can do all that here in the USA. We don't need to be in other countries to practice shooting and run 10 miles a day
Thats what I said :)
 

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
30,217
11
81
Originally posted by: Robor
Is it just me or is this message a bit of a slap in the face to the soldiers who are living in dangerous situations?
:roll: no, not at all - she was easing the minds of her friends and family that might be worried about her.
 

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
40,736
669
126
Originally posted by: Robor
Is it just me or is this message a bit of a slap in the face to the soldiers who are living in dangerous situations?
Not at all, but posting it here is deceptive if the intent was to imply that conditions in the rest of Iraq are anything like life sheltered in one of the larger US bases.

This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years.
. . . if you stay in the safe havens.
 

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
4,294
0
76
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Almost certainly it's the Camp Victory complex. The biggest worry there might be getting a ticket from an MP.
Scratch that... Gentobu is probably right: Anaconda
 

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
16,991
0
0
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: Robor
Is it just me or is this message a bit of a slap in the face to the soldiers who are living in dangerous situations?
:roll: no, not at all - she was easing the minds of her friends and family that might be worried about her.
:roll: yourself. Not all soldiers are on a 'resort' base like this one and to use it as an example of 'how much Iraq has improved over the years' is rather short sighted.

Improved Iraq (story just 30 minutes ago)
 

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
30,217
11
81
Then go :roll: at the OP for posting this here as a showcase of how great Iraq is, don't attack the solider for reassuring her friends and family that she's safe. Pretty simple logic, if you ask me.
 

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Moderator
Aug 23, 2003
25,387
140
116
Wow, is that what we're paying hundreds of millions of dollars per day for?

If so, get her lazy ass back to the US. Mission accomplished.
 

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
16,991
0
0
Originally posted by: Deeko
Then go :roll: at the OP for posting this here as a showcase of how great Iraq is, don't attack the solider for reassuring her friends and family that she's safe. Pretty simple logic, if you ask me.
Actually my original reply was intended toward the OP for that reason. However, I also think the soldier who wrote the letter is wrong for using this 'resort base' as an example to prove an improved Iraq. If the situation was good our troops would be on the way home and we wouldn't have stories about bombs going off in crowded civilian shopping areas.
 

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
23,003
770
126
Have her patrol the streets instead of having the comfort and security of the green zone. I bet you'll see her opinion change in an instant. :roll: My father's friend's son has to patrol the streets of Baghdad and every now and then he sends emails about how shot his nerves are everyday and his messages are full of religious overtones like he's living every day as if it's his last.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY