message from a friend in iraq

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Ok then, I apologize for misinterpreting.

Anyway, I don't think we really have enough background here to judge the solider in question. Maybe she was stationed at this same base before, and the situation was drastically different - hence she uses it as an example for Iraq improving. Maybe not.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
This is the response I expected from the peace movement.

Scenario 1: Iraq is a warzone with American casualties mounting.
Response: Too much bloodshed to justify being there. Bring the troops home.
Scenario 2: Iraq is stabilizing and things are going well.
Response: Not enough violence to require our continued presence. Bring the troops home.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter how good your argument is.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Almost certainly it's the Camp Victory complex. The biggest worry there might be getting a ticket from an MP.
I once got five tickets at the same time, from an MP on BAF, Afghanistan. No sh*t.

There is nothing worse than a REMF MP... :| bah...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Robor
Is it just me or is this message a bit of a slap in the face to the soldiers who are living in dangerous situations?
No, it's not. The majority of our soldiers are support, so this is nothing new. Heck, like most cops, most troops go their entire tours without firing a single shot.

And this isn't just in the Green Zone. Other large FOBs are just as developed, and nearly as safe.

But shhhhh, don't tell the media, k? good...

The media has never said that our bases weren't secure. They just noted, as we have, that the bases themselves are fortresses with a little piece of America inside. ie... the worst possible way to make bases for counterinsurgency operations.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Deeko
Ok then, I apologize for misinterpreting.

Anyway, I don't think we really have enough background here to judge the solider in question. Maybe she was stationed at this same base before, and the situation was drastically different - hence she uses it as an example for Iraq improving. Maybe not.

No problem - looking at my original reply I wasn't very clear in my direction. And you could be right. That said, I just read Phokus' post above this one. It's easy to be a critic - on either side - from the comfort of our offices. Imagining myself in one of these soldiers shoes (impossible I know)... Just scary.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Response: Not enough violence to require our continued presence. Bring the troops home.

It's almost like their argument is that staying in Iraq is not in our long term strategic or economic interest and so we shouldn't spend any more lives or money on it.

Nahhh, I'm sure they're just ca-raaaaazy!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Atreus21

There isn't an argument in the OP, just a soldier in a safe haven saying life is good.

"peace movement" :roll: . Are you in the "war movement"?

I prefer to be in the "consider the situation rationally" movement myself, which is why I supported the invasion of Afghanistan but not nation building in Iraq.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Almost certainly it's the Camp Victory complex. The biggest worry there might be getting a ticket from an MP.
I once got five tickets at the same time, from an MP on BAF, Afghanistan. No sh*t.

There is nothing worse than a REMF MP... :| bah...

Haha... our 1SG got a ticket on FOB Falcon. He kept it as a momento to stupidity :p

Not all bases and living conditions are nice like the OP's letter stated. That is mostly for support soldiers.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RY62
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Super safe.

Cowardly bombers can strike anywhere

The fact is, since the troop surge, conditions are much better in Iraq. It has at least given the people a chance to catch their breath. Maybe now they can get to work on plans for their own security. Pulling out now would be more stupid than going in was in the first place

Are conditions much better now or are they just better since the war started? I mean that as a serious question. I still remember us going into Iraq based on WMD's and ties to 9/11. It's been so long I think some people forget that was the motive. Now it's years later and it seems like we're just trying to figure out how put Humpty Dumpty back together.

The example of this bomb going off in NY is both rare and didn't cause any injuries let alone deaths. The suicide bombers in Iraq are frequent and cause mass fatalities.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Is it just me or is this message a bit of a slap in the face to the soldiers who are living in dangerous situations?
No, it's not. The majority of our soldiers are support, so this is nothing new. Heck, like most cops, most troops go their entire tours without firing a single shot.

And this isn't just in the Green Zone. Other large FOBs are just as developed, and nearly as safe.

But shhhhh, don't tell the media, k? good...

Sure, but what IS a slap in the face of soldiers outside the green zone is cherry picking the stories of individuals who might be safe and suggesting that it's a fantasy that Iraq isn't basically like Denver only people speak another language. It's a slap in the face of soldiers who ARE in danger every time somebody dismisses concerns about their safety as "doom and gloom". While I'm glad the OP's friend is safe, obviously that's not the case for everyone, and something tells me that the families of the soldiers who have died or been seriously wounded don't find the glib "doom and gloom" dismissal of their son or daughter's sacrifice to be the least bit amusing.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but that's clearly the message being expressed by some people here. See, the green zone is reasonably safe, so obviously the thousands who have died or been injured are just an invention of the liberal media :roll:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

You obviously know very little of the combat studies of WW2 US army divisions.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: lupi

You obviously know very little of the combat studies of WW2 US army divisions.

Read further

Edit: And no, I don't.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I'm all for good news, and I hope the op's friend remains safe as well as the many others over there...

As to "the surge" working - the fact that the U.S. is paying for them to not attack us takes all of the wind out of the sails of "us making progress."

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years.
For US troops. Obviously her experience does mirror that of a guy walking around with his son's arm wondering where the body is.

Shit, forget what I was going to type. I think your reality trumps hers any day. Her callous account of her seemingly safe life as compared to her fellow troops is somewhat unsettling. I hope she enjoys her Whopper tonight.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RY62
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Super safe.

Cowardly bombers can strike anywhere

The fact is, since the troop surge, conditions are much better in Iraq. It has at least given the people a chance to catch their breath. Maybe now they can get to work on plans for their own security. Pulling out now would be more stupid than going in was in the first place

I'm not sure what you mean by better considering ethnic cleansing was carried out countless neighborhoods have been defragmented.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I'm all for good news, and I hope the op's friend remains safe as well as the many others over there...

As to "the surge" working - the fact that the U.S. is paying for them to not attack us takes all of the wind out of the sails of "us making progress."

Yeah, the arresting of hundreds of criminals, and the resultant near collapse of JAM, the local elections, the building of a new hospital and 3 new clinics, the renovating of five schools, the repaving of streets and trash pick up, two new markets with two more on the way, the fixing of the sewer systems and the reonciliation process which has Shia and Sunni sitting down at the same table at least twice weekly to peacefully work out their differences, etc. etc. etc., all precipitated by my unit (surge unit) has NOTHING to do with anything.:roll:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

Yeah, the arresting of hundreds of criminals, and the resultant near collapse of JAM, the local elections, the building of a new hospital and 3 new clinics, the renovating of five schools, the repaving of streets and trash pick up, two new markets with two more on the way, the fixing of the sewer systems and the reonciliation process which has Shia and Sunni sitting down at the same table at least twice weekly to peacefully work out their differences, etc. etc. etc., all precipitated by my unit (surge unit) has NOTHING to do with anything.:roll:

It seems extremely bizarre to me that the vast majority of Democrats and a large number of Republicans would think that a surge WOULDN'T work. Even more amazing is how people think that more troops in Iraq => more troops dying. I hope Obama and Clinton don't really believe that.

I also don't understand why Congress is reluctant to fund the State Dept's civilian work in Iraq and Afghanistan

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
she posted this bulletin on myspace

she just got there. its her third tour

So yeah I have made it to my final destination and I am all settled in. This place is a joke to be honest with you. I have a room all to myself that has internet and cable. I have a truck to drive around the base. We have an indoor and outdoor swimming pool. For food we got Burger King, Subway, Pizza Hut and I don't even want to know what else. There are "clubs" here, don't get it confused with the ones back home. Ummm our PX is the size of Walgreen?s. I don't know it is just crazy. So trust me when I say, you all have nothing to worry about. I have a better chance getting hit by a car at night then anything else happening.

At the same time I am glad. This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years. We would not be as successful as we are today if it wasn't for all the men and women sacrificing everything for this country.

Anyways, I don't want to get on my soap box. So yeah hit me up on email if you want. Take care. Miss you all.

Barb

I'm happy for her.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: Skoorb
This really goes to show how much Iraq has improved over the years.
For US troops. Obviously her experience does mirror that of a guy walking around with his son's arm wondering where the body is.

Shit, forget what I was going to type. I think your reality trumps hers any day. Her callous account of her seemingly safe life as compared to her fellow troops is somewhat unsettling. I hope she enjoys her Whopper tonight.

I do partly agree but (as Deeko pointed out) her letter appears to be more to reassure her family and friends of her safety.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
I appreciate her service and everything she does in the name of her country. Yah have to respect her for that.

NOW, let's get her ass home where it belongs and let the Iraqi's have their oil and defend their country as they are more than capable of doing.

No, More. Nation. Building.

Thats right. The purpose of our military, contrary to popular belief, is to occupy US bases and run 10 miles a day and practice shooting their killing machines at the gun range.

The US Constitution

Article I
Section 8
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States ...

Article IV
Section 4
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion

Any questions ??

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: blackangst1
I appreciate her service and everything she does in the name of her country. Yah have to respect her for that.

NOW, let's get her ass home where it belongs and let the Iraqi's have their oil and defend their country as they are more than capable of doing.

No, More. Nation. Building.

Thats right. The purpose of our military, contrary to popular belief, is to occupy US bases and run 10 miles a day and practice shooting their killing machines at the gun range.

The US Constitution

Article I
Section 8
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States ...

Article IV
Section 4
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion

Any questions ??

You do realise that neither article I or IV applies here? The "protect each of them against Invasion" obviously refers to the States of America.

I guess that is all i have to ask on this matter.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Rainsford said:
See, the green zone is reasonably safe, so obviously the thousands who have died or been injured are just an invention of the liberal media

Or the Lindsey Grahams, considering his latest memorable quote:

"The truth is that political reconciliation in Iraq is going better there than it is here at home."

Leave it to Lindsey Graham, in one fell swoop...

He exhibits both irrational exhuberance about iraq, and irrational pessimism about America.

A veritable case study in how to be wrong twice in one sentence. How many dead Republican bodies have been found in our street this week?

I find it interesting the Iranian puppet president can walk around Bahgdad freely, When Bush or any other politico can do this, color me entheused.