Meryl Streep speech at Golden Globes

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Trump did not make fun of a disabled person. It has been debunked over and over. The media is responsible...err irresponsible, creating this bullshit with pictures put together and sound bytes. Pull your fucking MSM following sheeple head out of the sand. If you want to find out the truth you will find it. This has been a big lie!

wow. are you serious?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nope, the media created the bullshit story...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCdV_wCVrc

Here the story is taken apart, piece by piece...
https://www.catholics4trump.com/the-true-story-donald-trump-did-not-mock-a-reporters-disability/

Around here, it's never gonna matter what I say. There are those who will continue to spread the lies, even when shown the truth. It's part of the agenda.

ah yes, the media, filled with actual journalists, some of them I understand to garner some amount of ethical integrity, are not to be trusted.

"Catholics4Trump", however, is to be trusted as the most unbiased source of information regarding Trump.

You, sir, are a fucking idiot.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you want to rely on the dishonest MSM for all your news, I can't help you with that. I'm more than capable of thought outside of agenda driven media feeds. Not so much with you, I see.

I am going to enjoy the inaugural ceremony of our new president in 10 days.

Did you ever write a report in college or university? You do know that you'd get a failing grade if you cited a site like "Catholics4Trump" as a key source, right?

You can claim that you're capable of critical thought, but healthy critical thought means ruling out sites whose bias is so strong that it's literally in their title. It means questioning the validity of a source that's drawing on other questionable conservative videos as its 'evidence,' like one giant Trump circlejerk.

Also: why the hell would so-called Catholics be so eager to defend a politician mocking someone in any way for any reason? What happened to Christian compassion and "turn the other cheek?" The entire site is a giant exercise in hypocrisy.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Did you ever write a report in college or university? You do know that you'd get a failing grade if you cited a site like "Catholics4Trump" as a key source, right?

You can claim that you're capable of critical thought, but healthy critical thought means ruling out sites whose bias is so strong that it's literally in their title. It means questioning the validity of a source that's drawing on other questionable conservative videos as its 'evidence,' like one giant Trump circlejerk.

Also: why the hell would so-called Catholics be so eager to defend a politician mocking someone in any way for any reason? What happened to Christian compassion and "turn the other cheek?" The entire site is a giant exercise in hypocrisy.

no no: college is for liberals. Critical thinking sounds too much like "liberal arts" and is for liberal pussies.

Lol @ Catholics4Trump: I guess this is a very niche group that would represent the sum-total of catholics that actually approved of this Golem's performance at the Alfred E Smith Charity Dinner this year, in front of the Cardinal.

"Not real Catholics @ Alfred E Smith!" lol. what a bunch of shitstains.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
You can claim that you're capable of critical thought, but healthy critical thought means ruling out sites whose bias is so strong that it's literally in their title.

You're simply wrong on that one. The bias of a source might be a reason to scrutinize the information, but you don't simply automatically "rule out" a site because of bias. A biased source can still be correct, you just need to be aware of the bias and its possible impact on the veracity of the information provided.

Also: why the hell would so-called Catholics be so eager to defend a politician mocking someone in any way for any reason?

Since when is mocking something or someone inherently wrong or bad? It depends completely on the context and the basis of the mocking.

Nov 30, 2006
I think it was really bad form for Streep to do what she did. However, I expect as much from her ilk. But what really bothers me is Trump responding to it. Biden said Trump needs to grow up...and he is 100% right on this.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
You're simply wrong on that one. The bias of a source might be a reason to scrutinize the information, but you don't simply automatically "rule out" a site because of bias. A biased source can still be correct, you just need to be aware of the bias and its possible impact on the veracity of the information provided.

I should adjust what I'm claiming. It's not so much that you outright rule out a site as that you should be very, very skeptical of any information posted by a site with an obvious axe to grind. Especially when their supposed evidence defending Trump is just dodgy videos from other pro-Trump diehards.

Since when is mocking something or someone inherently wrong or bad? It depends completely on the context and the basis of the mocking.

How is it Christian to mock someone purely out of spite? (hint: it isn't at all)

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
And what job is that?

Oh wait they play pretend, and memorizes lines written by others. Somehow they think that playing pretended means they are important.

Did you even watch/read what she said? She explains exactly what that job is in her speech. But you, like many that are railing on her (including trump himself), completely missed WTF she was even saying.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That's not going to bode well for any of us. If he can't contain himself when it comes to someone such as an actor or actress, how can he be expected to make choices with thorough thought processes, sound judgement, and on behalf of a nation. Simple answer is: he can't. Sadly, this is our fate when a twitter troll is elected to office.

I think he's been told about this many, many times. Apparently he's a slow learner.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Celebrities are at their best when they are a distraction from reality. When celebrities constantly nag us about current events we get tired of them. Ironically, I could be talking about Meryl Streep OR Donald Trump lol.

Nov 30, 2006
I should adjust what I'm claiming. It's not so much that you outright rule out a site as that you should be very, very skeptical of any information posted by a site with an obvious axe to grind. Especially when their supposed evidence defending Trump is just dodgy videos from other pro-Trump diehards.
There were 2 other videos cited where Trump made these identical mannerisms to mock people who were flustered...just as this disabled reporter was mocked when he backpedaled on his article regarding Muslims celebrating in NJ on 9/11.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
First, can someone explain to me why we as the american people care about what an actress (or any celebrity for that matter) says about the president elect of the United States? Actors and actresses are quite literally some of the least important and sophisticated people in the world. I'm ont taking anything away from their talent. But it stands to reason that they are not the people we should be looking to for guidance regarding societal morals, etc.

Second, can someone please explain to me why the president elect of the United States cares about what an actress (or any celebrity for that matter) says about him? Moreover, why in the hell is is the president elect communicating about it via twitter?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think it was really bad form for Streep to do what she did. However, I expect as much from her ilk. But what really bothers me is Trump responding to it. Biden said Trump needs to grow up...and he is 100% right on this.
Considering how much the bar on class and decorum has been lowered by Trump I don't understand how what Streep said was so beyond the pale.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Because he desperately wants their approval. Just like he wants the approval and adoration of the old money families and high brow media circles in Manhattan. His entire life has been one long striving grasping clawing quest to obtain this yet ironically the manner in which he's tried to attain it will forever keep him from his goal.
Ah, so you have found an example of a universal, that we create what we fear.

Feb 16, 2005
Celebrities are at their best when they are a distraction from reality. When celebrities constantly nag us about current events we get tired of them. Ironically, I could be talking about Meryl Streep OR Donald Trump lol.
Yea!!!
Like Jon Stewart and the 9/11 first responders or
Leonardo Di Caprio and the Haiti earthquake or
George Clooney and Darfur or
Angelina Jolie and violence against children or
Matt Damon and clean water for Africa or
Don Cheadle and the genocide in Darfur or
Keanu Reeves and his support of children's hospitals or
Sean Penn and basically the world or
Robert Redford and his protection of the environment.

When will they stop with this silliness and just be a clown for your fucking amusement?!!!!??

Reactions: Homerboy

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
First, can someone explain to me why we as the american people care about what an actress (or any celebrity for that matter) says about the president elect of the United States? Actors and actresses are quite literally some of the least important and sophisticated people in the world. I'm ont taking anything away from their talent. But it stands to reason that they are not the people we should be looking to for guidance regarding societal morals, etc.

Second, can someone please explain to me why the president elect of the United States cares about what an actress (or any celebrity for that matter) says about him? Moreover, why in the hell is is the president elect communicating about it via twitter?

We shouldn't necessarily hold actors up as paragons, but the fact is that people do. And I'd much rather have actors advocating for civil rights and environmental issues in those circumstances than leading people to think that the only things that matter are your latest movie and what you wore to the Oscars.

And Trump cares because he's an egocentric child who can't take criticism. Remember, this is the guy who wants to expand libel law and strip citizenship from people who burn the flag. You get the impression that he'd repeal the First Amendment if he could only get away with it.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Yea!!!

When will they stop with this silliness and just be a clown for your fucking amusement?!!!!??

At least you acknowledge they are clowns for our amusement. Nobody told them to leave our television set or our theater. Then you get some uppity reality tv star like Donald Trump to teach you that you should never take advice from a celebrity.

Michael Jordan understood that. Probably the most recognizable figure in the world and he never had an opinion on US or world politics. I'd take another Michael Jordan over Sean Penn's investigative journalism any day of the week.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What's funny is nobody seems to mention the end of speech, and arguably the underlining point of the speech, was that she was advocating for the protection of the press and that her immediate audience in the room, and the people that actually awarded her that evening (the Hollywood Foreign Press) support her and stand with her in that endeavor. So yes, it was most certainly the time and place for such a speech.

This brings me to the press. We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage.That's why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in our constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood Foreign Press and all of us in our community to join me in supporting the committee to protect journalists. Because we're going to need them going forward. And they'll need us to safeguard the truth.

Feb 16, 2005
At least you acknowledge they are clowns for our amusement. Nobody told them to leave our television set or our theater. Then you get some uppity reality tv star like Donald Trump to teach you that you should never take advice from a celebrity.

Michael Jordan understood that. Probably the most recognizable figure in the world and he never had an opinion on US or world politics. I'd take another Michael Jordan over Sean Penn's investigative journalism any day of the week.
no, no I do not acknowledge that. YOU acknowledge that. I am grateful they are using their status as a celeb to help those less fortunate. I didn't need anything at any point in my life to tell me to avoid con men like drumpf.
If you can't figure that out on your own, you're a special kind of stupid.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
What's funny is nobody seems to mention the end of speech, and arguably the underlining point of the speech, was that she was advocating for the protection of the press and that her immediate audience in the room, and the people that actually awarded her that evening (the Hollywood Foreign Press) support her and stand with her in that endeavor. So yes, it was most certainly the time and place for such a speech.

Implying the press is principled. Good one Meryl.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I'm sure all those flyover country workers would be totally jazzed to work for $2 per hour, get no healthcare, and enjoy their massively polluted environment.

But it's all OK if some third world person in some foreign land works under those conditions so you can save some money by not paying an American under the very rules and regulations you wish to impose on domestic companies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yea!!!

Exactly. Heaven forbid those with money, resources and a public platform use their position to intervene for the betterment of society. They should just shut up and read their lines and collect their checks.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti