MegaMillions: $970M

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It seems like it would be better to just buy standard tickets at $2/ea, since there are still somewhat large prizes that could be divided up. I wouldn't be annoyed if we only won a 10k pot to split.
i disagree.

this pool is for the big $1B jackpot.
$10k divided 30 ways is $333 each :eek:

buy the 'Just the Jackpot'!

Dec 10, 2005
i disagree.

this pool is for the big $1B jackpot.
$10k divided 30 ways is $333 each :eek:

buy the 'Just the Jackpot'!
Oh no, "only" $333 from a $10 buy-in. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth if we only won the $10k.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Looks like twitch doesn't have anything specific about lottery stuff, so i'll stream it tomorrow night. Because I can do it all online, no reason to go into the store with a wad of cash! I might cut off buyins 2-3 hours before hand to do a final tally and get everything purchased. So I might start around 1900 EST.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
the reason for this ATOT Pool is for the $1B!

dont be a peasant hoping for $333, which is 1/2 hr worth of ATOT work.
:p

And if you don't win the jackpot? You don't get any regular consolidate prizes. I rather keep it simple and just buy $2 quick pick tickets just like we did before. No need to make it complicated.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
which country lost as many people to COVID as they did in WWII? Certainly that is the third world one...

tenor.gif

Reactions: highland145

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
And if you don't win the jackpot? You don't get any regular consolidate prizes. I rather keep it simple and just buy $2 quick pick tickets just like we did before. No need to make it complicated.
if we lost and noone hit the jackpot, then everyone pony's up another $10.

rather have 33% more tix under 'Just the Jackpot'

Reactions: amdhunter

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
if we lost and noone hit the jackpot, then everyone pony's up another $10.

rather have 33% more tix under 'Just the Jackpot'

I rather put this for a vote. I vote keep it simple and quick pick tickets as we did before. If we don't win the jackpot, we have better chance to win consolidation prizes to add on top of our next buy in instead of ZERO as your suggestion.

What about the rest of the 40+ members (and growing) of this buy in group?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
I rather put this for a vote. I vote keep it simple and quick pick tickets as we did before.

What about the rest of the 40 members of this buy in group?
The odds of the jackpot are astronomical. I'd rather increase our odds of winning even something less, like the 10k or 1m prizes.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I rather put this for a vote. I vote keep it simple and quick pick tickets as we did before. If we don't win the jackpot, we have better chance to win consolidation prizes to add on top of our next buy in instead of ZERO as your suggestion.

What about the rest of the 40+ members (and growing) of this buy in group?

How is this more simple? This seems more confusing as if we win a small amount of money it has to be re-invested in more tickets.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
How is this more simple? This seems more confusing as if we win a small amount of money it has to be re-invested in more tickets.

Based on the MM winnings, 10k and above is really the only good payout. Anything less then that will get rolled into something else. IE if the MM gets hit and that is done, the leftovers would get used for say, scratchers, or whatever else might land 10k+.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

If we win small amount and no one wins the jackpot, then roll over that small amount on top of the next round of buy in = more tickets = better odd to win the jackpot. As we did before in our previous buy ins.

Since when the house makes new changes/adjustments to give better odds/opportunities for the players to win more? None, nada, zip.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The odds of the jackpot are astronomical. I'd rather increase our odds of winning even something less, like the 10k or 1m prizes.
What, you don't think 1 in like 300 million is not great odds? :p

Playing for jackpot only is stupid. Better to take any payout even if it's only couple of bucks.

Personally I rather bet $100 on 0 DTE option in the stock market. If I get lucky, I can turn that $100 into something meaningful by snowballing. It's still very low odds with 0 DTE option but at least it's not impossible odds like the Mega Millions jackpot.

It's too much work for me to join the ATOT group buy. But good luck to everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
What, you don't think 1 in like 300 million is not great odds? :p

Playing for jackpot only is stupid. Better to take any payout even if it's only couple of bucks.

Personally I rather bet $100 on 0 DTE option in the stock market. If I get lucky, I can turn that $100 into something meaningful by snowballing. It's still very low odds with 0 DTE option but at least it's not impossible odds like the Mega Millions jackpot.

It's too much work for me to join the ATOT group buy. But good luck to everyone!

You are missing the point. Playing the lottery at all is a bad choice we are all making together.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You are missing the point. Playing the lottery at all is a bad choice we are all making together.
And if we win......points, laughs while we're in Vegas.

Or, most likely guaranteed, put our retirement hopes on the next Vivi buy in.