Medical Marijuana Just Scored a Big Victory on Capitol Hill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
i challenge anyone who says they care about Vets to watch it and deny that MMJ should exist at a federal level.
You should probably know by this point that nobody gives a shit about soldiers. The #1 cause of mental illness in the military is infidelity. If society actually cared about soldiers, it would tell them not to get married and not to have children.

It's foolishly optimistic to assume Americans will stop being evil any time soon. There's good money to be made from exploiting soldiers who lose everything and become hardcore alcoholics, and morality always takes a back seat to money. Go ahead and get married. We'll be waiting for you when your tour of duty ends.

some-brand-of-drins.jpg

It's worth mentioning that alcohol and prescription drug companies pay huge amounts of money to stop marijuana from being legalized. Marijuana would cannibalize the market for alcohol and prescription drug abuse.

Last edited:

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
It's worth mentioning that alcohol and prescription drug companies pay huge amounts of money to stop marijuana from being legalized. Marijuana would cannibalize the market for alcohol and prescription drug abuse.

You'd think the $2-3Billion snack-food industry would be quietly lobbying FOR it! :D

Meanwhile, all across America...

south-park-s14e03c04-microwaving-your-balls-16x9.jpg

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Legalize it and let the drugs flow. I pains me to see what will happen to the welfare system when they do.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I don't think i have heard anyone say MMJ cures everything. Though there is plenty of science that says it cures a few things. Mostly that involving Chronic pain.

Do you happen to have some of the literature handy? Would be interested in reading it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I dont think heroin or meth should be freely legal but we should have places set up so people can get safe doses of both if they are addicted with health professional contact to help them. Meth is a GIANT problem here in socal. Its fucking disgusting.

I could maybe get behind that.

The very first thing we need to do is stop throwing people in jail for simply possessing/consuming drugs. It costs us a ridiculous amount of money and all we do is create even more criminals costing us even more money and destroying more lives in the process than the actual drugs.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Play this tune to go with it. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RCvtziXj0

*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*

Not totally off-topic since it was all about the abuse of "medical" marijuana.

Be prepared for a large influx of people saying (some serious, some not) "I *need* this maaan, it's medicine!" :rolleyes:

Outright legalization cuts through all the dishonesty, most of it practiced by prohibitionists.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Outright legalization cuts through all the dishonesty, most of it practiced by prohibitionists.

Can't argue with that, not to mention it'll probably cut the american prison population down by ... 25%? More? A BIG chunk anyway. That's BILLIONS of dollars not spent on little pot offenses.

Pity there isn't a strain of the stuff that doesn't smell so damn skunky... legal pot is going to make whole neighbourhoods just STINK. :'( That's my only real beef with the stuff...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Do you happen to have some of the literature handy? Would be interested in reading it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chronic+pain+%2Bmedical+MJ

There are a bunch of articles that talk about it. It does not cover ALL chronic pain. but a good amount of them.

I would rather do MJJ then pain pills.

err i don't do mj at all. sadly i do not have a MJJ card in IL (though thinking of getting one) and do not know anyone who smokes it. or i gotta admit i would get some.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Can't argue with that, not to mention it'll probably cut the american prison population down by ... 25%? More?
That's exactly why it will never stop. There's too much money to be made from screwing other Americans. From prison guard unions to private prisons to police unions, there are way too many people who want to throw other Americans in cages.
http://www.theonion.com/article/fbi-uncovers-al-qaeda-plot-to-just-sit-back-and-en-35788

Look at what it took to remove the ban on alcohol. From 1920 to 1933. What was so special about 1933? That was one of the worst economic years in US history. We didn't stop screwing other Americans until the laws of finance and economics forced us to stop. The economy at the time was so horrendous that tax rates rose to more than 60% to pay for all of the government stimulus programs. As much as 1/5 of the country was unemployed. That's how extreme things had to get before we considered freedom over tyranny.

We will stop the war against freedom when we run out of money to continue the war. Back in 1933, the US government was shackled by a gold standard, so they were forced to face reality. Now that we can print as much paper money as we want, the beatings will continue until the world runs out of trees.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Just legalize the shit already. Booze causes more problems than weed ever did or will, which is a drug too. I can't believe we've gotten past prohibition and Marijuana is still a crime. Medical or recreational, just legalize it nationally.

For once, I'm totally in agreement with you.

I'm glad that Congress made a sensible decision regarding medical marijuana and DoD/VA policies.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chronic+pain+%2Bmedical+MJ

There are a bunch of articles that talk about it. It does not cover ALL chronic pain. but a good amount of them.

I would rather do MJJ then pain pills.

err i don't do mj at all. sadly i do not have a MJJ card in IL (though thinking of getting one) and do not know anyone who smokes it. or i gotta admit i would get some.

Ah was wondering about actual medical literature rather that simply "stories" about "literature." I don't mean to sound condescending, but it's an important distinction (see John Oliver's Last Week Tonight bit on Scientific Studies). I know there have been a few systematic reviews over the past year or two out of Canada, just haven't tracked them down yet.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
legal pot is going to make whole neighbourhoods just STINK.

Nope. And I live within a couple miles of probably 10 - hell, maybe 20+, idk - legal pot shops. They're everywhere. Actually smoking leaf marijuana isn't as common as you might think. There's a lot of tincture, vaping, edibles, etc going on

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Nope. And I live within a couple miles of probably 10 - hell, maybe 20+, idk - legal pot shops. They're everywhere. Actually smoking leaf marijuana isn't as common as you might think. There's a lot of tincture, vaping, edibles, etc going on

My whole area already gets that way whenever someone fires up a fattie, at least once a day a full-block area stinks like a fresh skunk blast. At least it doesn't last long and only one of the groups giggle loudly like idiots while they do it. :rolleyes:

I just wish someone would breed a less-stinky variant? Of course, popularity would suffer because a good high is probably even better when the neighbours hate you for it. ;)

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
And it always amazes me when I said we should just legalize weed and point out that, in reality, alcohol is a pretty terrible thing by comparison. Yet people act like it is the reverse.

Because people have a tendency to conflate legality and morality and/or safety. If you really want people to think something isn't safe, ban it and people will assume it wouldn't be illegal if it was safe.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
My whole area already gets that way whenever someone fires up a fattie, at least once a day a full-block area stinks like a fresh skunk blast. At least it doesn't last long and only one of the groups giggle loudly like idiots while they do it. :rolleyes:

I just wish someone would breed a less-stinky variant? Of course, popularity would suffer because a good high is probably even better when the neighbours hate you for it. ;)

this post is so full of retarded, but the "giggle loudly like idiots" is my favorite part, because, you know, laughing is for idiots.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
What do you see happening to welfare if more drugs are legalized?
One would expect to see a significant decrease in welfare spending. This is because millions of people are fired or quit due to drugs. I know lots of tradesmen who were fired because they failed piss tests. I'm talking about highly skilled welders, electricians, and pipefitters making 6 figures.

The people who say they should just stop doing drugs need a grade 5 education on how the brain works. Not all humans are the same. We have lots of studies covering things like gender, race, environmental effects, life stability, and family that correlate with differences in time preference. The people who go into trades, in general, have a very strong preference for things happening right now. For anyone familiar with economics, think of it like having a high discount rate. Something in the future (a job) needs to have a very high value before it trumps things happening right now (doing coke with friends at a party).

I don't think people understand how badly it damages the economy when we lock up the more impulsive part of the population. People like myself who take the most conservative route possible tend to do ok in life, but we never achieve anything great. The really extreme people like Michael Jordan and Steve Jobs are the kinds of people who use drugs and get locked up. The type of person who risks everything to do coke is the same kind of person who drives on frozen lakes in the arctic or goes crab fishing in Alaska. They are an important resource that we should be using instead of throwing away.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Because of federal government blackmail and insurance companies making false assumptions, UA tests are virtually universal anymore and it's actually creating a shortage of workers available to hire.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
this post is so full of retarded, but the "giggle loudly like idiots" is my favorite part, because, you know, laughing is for idiots.

I see you've never suffered an evening near a bunch of morons sharing a nitrous tank...

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One would expect to see a significant decrease in welfare spending. This is because millions of people are fired or quit due to drugs. I know lots of tradesmen who were fired because they failed piss tests. I'm talking about highly skilled welders, electricians, and pipefitters making 6 figures.

The people who say they should just stop doing drugs need a grade 5 education on how the brain works. Not all humans are the same. We have lots of studies covering things like gender, race, environmental effects, life stability, and family that correlate with differences in time preference. The people who go into trades, in general, have a very strong preference for things happening right now. For anyone familiar with economics, think of it like having a high discount rate. Something in the future (a job) needs to have a very high value before it trumps things happening right now (doing coke with friends at a party).

I don't think people understand how badly it damages the economy when we lock up the more impulsive part of the population. People like myself who take the most conservative route possible tend to do ok in life, but we never achieve anything great. The really extreme people like Michael Jordan and Steve Jobs are the kinds of people who use drugs and get locked up. The type of person who risks everything to do coke is the same kind of person who drives on frozen lakes in the arctic or goes crab fishing in Alaska. They are an important resource that we should be using instead of throwing away.

I agree with this, but I don't think simply legalizing drugs is going to eliminate such firings. afaik, private businesses will still be able to determine what is grounds for firing their employees, and considering that legal alcohol use or abuse is commonly one of those grounds, I doubt that former illicit substances going legal overnight is going to inspire these employers to flip, just because.

I wouldn't blame them, either.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I agree with this, but I don't think simply legalizing drugs is going to eliminate such firings. afaik, private businesses will still be able to determine what is grounds for firing their employees, and considering that legal alcohol use or abuse is commonly one of those grounds, I doubt that former illicit substances going legal overnight is going to inspire these employers to flip, just because.

I wouldn't blame them, either.

Companies are liable for the actions of their employees after all. If they don't fire drugged out employees, the company could be sued out of existence if the actions of those employees while on the clock is harmful to innocent people. Does anybody really want a surgeon flying high on heroin to perform open heart surgery on them?