Medical Marijuana Just Scored a Big Victory on Capitol Hill

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Nope. And I live within a couple miles of probably 10 - hell, maybe 20+, idk - legal pot shops. They're everywhere. Actually smoking leaf marijuana isn't as common as you might think. There's a lot of tincture, vaping, edibles, etc going on

actually he is right. my office used to be a block from a 1500sqft warehouse that was a grow. every 3-4 months you knew it was harvest time because HOLY FUCK did the business park stink! hell it was so bad last summer the inside of my car smelled like Cheech & Chong blazed up in my car. :eek:

there are a few houses in my neighborhood who with no doubt grow weed. when my wife and i go for walks the skunk is strong. not sure how many pants they have inside but its enough that you can smell it from the road.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
actually he is right. my office used to be a block from a 1500sqft warehouse that was a grow. every 3-4 months you knew it was harvest time because HOLY FUCK did the business park stink! hell it was so bad last summer the inside of my car smelled like Cheech & Chong blazed up in my car. :eek:

there are a few houses in my neighborhood who with no doubt grow weed. when my wife and i go for walks the skunk is strong. not sure how many pants they have inside but its enough that you can smell it from the road.

have you ever complained about the smell of any other growing plant in your life?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Companies are liable for the actions of their employees after all. If they don't fire drugged out employees, the company could be sued out of existence if the actions of those employees while on the clock is harmful to innocent people. Does anybody really want a surgeon flying high on heroin to perform open heart surgery on them?

How would you know? They are professionals. Probably don't get tested unless they are really screwing up.
What does a background level of marijuana in your system have to do with being able to perform your job. If and when they come of with a test the says you are high, they are screwing a lot of people who could be gainfully employed.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
How would you know? They are professionals. Probably don't get tested unless they are really screwing up.
What does a background level of marijuana in your system have to do with being able to perform your job. If and when they come of with a test the says you are high, they are screwing a lot of people who could be gainfully employed.

What am I saying is that if the employee causes the death of innocents and a drug test concludes that the employee was under the influence, the company will be held legally liable. This isn't debatable, it happens all the time.

A tragic accident turned into major liability for an employer whose holiday party resulted in a drunk-driving fatality. Before the event, the employer took the sensible steps of presenting employees with only two drink tickets each and limiting the bar offerings to beer and wine. During the party, it all unraveled. An employee consumed a couple of drinks before arriving, and brought a flask of hard liquor which a manager refilled for him. Despite being noticeably intoxicated, the employee was allowed to drive home from the party. After arriving home he set out again, still drunk, to drive a coworker home, and rear-ended another car while traveling 100 mph, killing the other driver. The family of the victim sued and the court found that the company could be held liable for its employee’s conduct (Purton v. Marriott International, Inc., Cal App, July 2013). - See more at: http://www.vigilant.org/employment-...cident-after-holiday-par#sthash.vwT9NJHV.dpuf

According to the Los Angeles Times, Stephen Galiher, a pastor for the Costa Mesa, California-based Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), was allegedly drinking at a Newport Beach hotel with the president of TBN Network in April of 2009. Galiher left the hotel in a company-owned vehicle and began to drive home. Unfortunately, while on the Costa Mesa freeway, he struck and overturned another vehicle, causing the driver to sustain the injuries that ultimately claimed his life and led to a lawsuit against him and his employer, explains a lawyer in Orange County.

A 71-year-old man named David Rhodes was driving the vehicle, and his wife was in the passenger seat. Several months later, on November 3, 2009, Rhodes succumbed to death as a result of pneumonia. His family believes that the death can be directly linked to the accident and has filed suit against pastor Galiher. TBN was also named in the lawsuit, as the family alleges that the network turned a blind eye to Galiher's drinking and provided him with the vehicle that he was driving at the time of the accident.

Employer Liability for Employee Actions

An employer may be liable for negligence in hiring or retaining an employee. Under this cause of action, the employer is liable because he or she failed to exercise reasonable care when hiring a worker. The employer is liable because of his or her own negligence, not because of imputed employee negligence.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
I agree with this, but I don't think simply legalizing drugs is going to eliminate such firings. afaik, private businesses will still be able to determine what is grounds for firing their employees, and considering that legal alcohol use or abuse is commonly one of those grounds
I have yet to see 1 business in the entire world that does hair sampling to detect alcohol consumption. One of my friends did this specific type of testing when working on his doctorate in chemistry. Chemists can tell with reasonable accuracy if someone drinks a lot in their free time. What they look for are called fatty acid ethyl esters, and these show up hair for some reason. Everything you do shows up hair.

Companies only do drug testing for liability purposes. They really don't give a shit what the results are. Not caring at all is why they always do piss tests. Piss tests are the least reliable form of testing, which means they are doing this test just to look like they care. You could go on a crazy meth bender and you'll piss clean a week later.

The people who actually care about results always do hair analysis. Hair analysis can show if you smoked meth several months ago.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10882832
study said:
Hair analysis clearly indicated chronic methamphetamine abuse and medium dependency during the 2 months before death. We conclude that death might have been induced by the interaction of fenoterol and methamphetamine.

have you ever complained about the smell of any other growing plant in your life?
Are you serious? Burn a pile of leaves and count how many second it takes before neighbors call the cops.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Companies are liable for the actions of their employees after all. If they don't fire drugged out employees, the company could be sued out of existence if the actions of those employees while on the clock is harmful to innocent people. Does anybody really want a surgeon flying high on heroin to perform open heart surgery on them?

Nobody offered otherwise. The problem for cannabis users is that, unlike tests for other drugs, current testing for metabolites does not indicate intoxication but rather recent use.

Imagine a world where alcohol is illegal & you could be busted monday morning for having a beer on friday night.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Nobody offered otherwise. The problem for cannabis users is that, unlike tests for other drugs, current testing for metabolites does not indicate intoxication but rather recent use.

Imagine a world where alcohol is illegal & you could be busted monday morning for having a beer on friday night.
I'm guessing they would take a blood sample. A blood sample would clearly show if you were drunk when you screwed up and killed someone.