Info MediaTek Dimensity 9000, Cortex-X2 big core, TSMC N4

deasd

Dec 31, 2013

2021-11-22-image-3-p_1100.webp

I'm surprised by this action from Mediatek. Now this time they are the first. Just feel excited if X2 could be used by Android, would be a very close approach to Apple A15 in performance.

Last edited:

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
What are you expecting from the lowest level cores that they are capable of disappointing you?
Well, even ARMs own projections look quite underwhelming WRT performance and energy efficiency considering this is a re-design after five whopping years.
And they were mostly spot on in the last years.
But at least Mediatek did not go for the shared simd/fp pipeline.

Reactions: Tlh97 and NTMBK

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Well, even ARMs own projections look quite underwhelming WRT performance and energy efficiency considering this is a re-design after five whopping years.
And they were mostly spot on in the last years.
But at least Mediatek did not go for the shared simd/fp pipeline.
Sure, but we knew that before Dimensity 9000 already. The way @DrMrLordX wrote it it seemed like the A510 cores are "sure-to-be-disappointing" on top of that. Or is he already disappointed that MediaTek picked A510 cores instead older A5x ones? That's why I asked him for clarification.

The Hardcard

Oct 19, 2021
At least they are keeping them individual cores, and didn't go full Bulldozer.

Moot point, and not that I miss them, but I wonder how the Bulldozer cores would do with the massive front end improvements the Zens got. For integer at least. The point of looking elsewhere for floating point would remain.

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
Sure, but we knew that before Dimensity 9000 already. The way @DrMrLordX wrote it it seemed like the A510 cores are "sure-to-be-disappointing" on top of that. Or is he already disappointed that MediaTek picked A510 cores instead older A5x ones? That's why I asked him for clarification.
Ah, I see. I understood it more generally just as a reminder of the strong indications that there is not a lot to be expected from ARMs latest and greatest little core compared to their biggest SoC design competitor.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What are you expecting from the lowest level cores that they are capable of disappointing you?

Nothing good. See below.

Ah, I see. I understood it more generally just as a reminder of the strong indications that there is not a lot to be expected from ARMs latest and greatest little core compared to their biggest SoC design competitor.

Indeed. A510 is just underwhelming. Wish they had something better they could use instead. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the major differences between bog-standard ARM designs and what Qualcomm rolls out in 2023 courtesy of their Nuvia team will be in their small cores.

Last edited: