Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Thankfully the game is no longer "LRM Warrior Online." I ran with a premade the night before the patch in several matches and one lancemate in an Atlas with 3xLRM 15s and Artemis was averaging over 1,000 damage per match and at least 4 kills. That's stupid.

Now I can effectively brawl with my Founder's Atlas again.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thankfully the game is no longer "LRM Warrior Online." I ran with a premade the night before the patch in several matches and one lancemate in an Atlas with 3xLRM 15s and Artemis was averaging over 1,000 damage per match and at least 4 kills. That's stupid.

Now I can effectively brawl with my Founder's Atlas again.

I use to average that in my Atlas when I was playing. But until the fix the game back to battletech, I don't think I will be playing.

My hopes for the table top version that they have been working on have been quickly fading as well, especially if they re-balance things in the same half-a$$'ed way they have been doing in this game.

There are easy fixes for the issues they have, and there are things which are just so completely against the lore/universe that it isn't even funny. For instance, in the real battletech universe, mechs actually have a 360 degree view, and sensors that work in that same 360 degrees. Ok, so you want to eliminate the "race to the biggest mech" that has plagued all previous video game versions, I get that. You do that by making the smaller mechs have a smaller signature size (i.e. sensors don't pick them up as well). You do it by implementing the mechanics for different advanced sensor suites, communications, and ECCM which made those smaller mechs invaluable as actual eyes/ears on the battlefield. Suddenly lights and mediums have a role to play when those thinks happen. Even look at "World of Tanks" and how things like radio ranges, line of sight, and visibility works, for an example of what I am talking about. Big things are easier to pickup on sensors, and are easier targets to hit as a result, small things are harder to pickup, thus harder to hit....

Last edited:

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Wish I could tear myself away from tanks, looks like they have been making some interesting changes. I'll take a modified MW game over no MW game..

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Played a bunch last night with my K2 running dual AC10's and was able to do very well again. I can now charge LRM boats without getting instantly killed. Hiding behind objects works again too.

Now I just need to save up some cash to make the change over to dual AC20's :)

My Cicada and Hunchy are also usable again like they were before. So I am far more happy than I was earlier in the week.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Endo is what I really need to save up for. The AC20's are I think 660K each, plus endo. Already have ferro armor.

Got my dual AC20's, its so awesome. Although I had to ditch fero armor as there was not enough space for endo and fero with AC20's. Although there was with AC10's. Had a few games of 500+ damage though :)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Doing up to 800 damage in my Centurions. Rounds of 400+ are quite normal, though I end up dying a lot and not getting the kills (not such a bad thing but I could be better at living).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Doing up to 800 damage in my Centurions. Rounds of 400+ are quite normal, though I end up dying a lot and not getting the kills (not such a bad thing but I could be better at living).

Wow, I have never seen anybody get that high before. I saw a guy get 650ish once.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Wow, I have never seen anybody get that high before. I saw a guy get 650ish once.

Centurion CN9-AL (No ballistic slots)
Caustic map

3 kills
2 assists
619 damage

The match I just had, 2 minutes before reading this thread :)

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Centurion CN9-AL (No ballistic slots)
Caustic map

3 kills
2 assists
619 damage

The match I just had, 2 minutes before reading this thread :)

Nice. Last night I had a 900 damage 6 kill match.

Fallen Kell averages 2,000 damage and 9 kills a match.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
Nice. Last night I had a 900 damage 6 kill match.

Fallen Kell averages 2,000 damage and 9 kills a match.

baaaahahaha!

ive been doing decent with my cats in all their different forms. on good matches i get 3 or 4 kills. most of the time 1 or 2 and still some 0 kill matches. ive gotten a decent bit better.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Trying to configure a Dragon is a nightmare. Don't think I'd get an AC/10 + 2 LL, Endo, DHS + 300XL build to work without it being too hot.

2 PPC's? Too hot.
2 LPL's? Low range. Too hot.

Any ideas? (5N)

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Trying to configure a Dragon is a nightmare. Don't think I'd get an AC/10 + 2 LL, Endo, DHS + 300XL build to work without it being too hot.

2 PPC's? Too hot.
2 LPL's? Low range. Too hot.

Any ideas? (5N)

Gauss Rifle, 4 tons ammo
2 MPL
SRM 6 w/ Artemis, 2 tons ammo

300XL, 10 DHS, Endo

Pick away at long range and then charge in when slow enemies get within 500m. SRM 6 w/ Artemis has a tight spread so try to save your shots until you're within 100m. It's almost like 15 points of damage to one location.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Gauss Rifle, 4 tons ammo
2 MPL
SRM 6 w/ Artemis, 2 tons ammo

300XL, 10 DHS, Endo

Pick away at long range and then charge in when slow enemies get within 500m. SRM 6 w/ Artemis has a tight spread so try to save your shots until you're within 100m. It's almost like 15 points of damage to one location.

Gauss + 4 tons
2 LL
300XL
Endo Steel
FF
12 DHS

No skills on the mech and in my third match... 6 mechs killed, 700 damage.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I just got my new laptop with the 7970m so I can play with decent FPS now.

So I played a little again and my atlas D-DC which I usually mow down the other team didn't exactly do that this time lol

Also I think they removed two Laser hard points (w/e call it)

Running with Dual U-AC5s, 3 x Streak SRMs and like 3 or 4 medium lasers.

Now Only 2 lasers, but they probably also changed how streaks go too, before they were very center torso oriented. So when the little bugs tried circling me, I Just kill them off with SRMs.

I need to get better again at this game blah.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I have a D-DC for missile boating w/ 3 LRM15's (with a shitton of ammo) and 2 ER-LLs. I always feel like the LLs don't do very much. Maybe I should have gone LPLs instead.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Gauss + 4 tons
2 LL
300XL
Endo Steel
FF
12 DHS

No skills on the mech and in my third match... 6 mechs killed, 700 damage.

Cool. The Large Lasers are nice but I'm really in love with SRMs and Artemis right now. The short range damage is simply IMMENSE.

My DC Atlas runs a 350XL engine (61kph with Speed Tweak), 18 DHS, Gauss with 5 tons ammo, 3x SRM 6 with Artemis and 6 tons ammo, and 2x MPLs.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Is the Gauss worth it on that mech? What about running a 1N and switching to a UAC5 but adding a second SRM6?

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
i understand thats the point. they are far and away better than singles. but theyre trying to balance things for a videogame that theyre trying to make money with. which means they cant upset the new players that are stuck with shit tech, who wont stick around when they are getting crushed in every game by people with twice the firepower.

it would not really matter as much if match making worked so people using the lower grade trial mechs would be playing against similarly equiped players. It would take care of the need to rebalance for every small change.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
the CAT-C1 and C4 make great missile boats. i think teams that run assaults as missile boats lose effectiveness. Unless of course 3/4 the team are boats and the map is caustic.