Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The "unseen" and "reseen" are reference to what they did in the universe. As has been stated, the list of "unseen" are mechs which used designs which came from other IP, mostly Japanese anime series. FASA settled some of the lawsuits that were brought when Mechwarrior started to get more mainstream and well known. Most of those settlements basically said that they would no longer use the designs. Later the current owners of the Battletech IP was able to make agreements with several of the anime IP owners to allow the designs to be used again. So basically, certain mechs became "unseen" in the universe when the lawsuits first happened, and then later, some were "reseen" after the new agreements were in place. "Unseen" and "reseen" are actually categories in the Battletech universe with rules about their uses, etc.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
Does anyone hav a mech list other than the three mentioned on the official site?

I would love to have some of the old classics like the Archer, Rifleman, Shadow Hawk.

At this time, they've only confirmed the three pictured above, I think. However, if you look over at mektek.net, they've got a thread going with all the possible mechs that could be seen based on the current timeline. That post starts off with a short history leading up to the timeframe of the game as well. For the mech list, just scroll down a bit.

http://www.mektek.net/forums/topic/188210-3048-mech-list-info/

im interested to see how battles will work. its completely urban fighting. how will that play out for the LRM boats. And i really wish they would impliment physical attacks. The battlefists on the hunchback are there for a reason damnit!

I don't think they've said it's completely urban fighting, just that they've got a good bit of it in there. They've mentioned hot/cold environments, which could span a fair bit of area, including possibly (guessing) moons, lava planets, and so on.

They also say that they're not currently looking into melee. Which could have been epic if implemented correctly.
129816333462.jpg

[/epicatlaspunch]

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Like everyone else, I'm leery... but optimistic and have my name reserved. :)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
From what I have heard/read/extrapolated, this is based on the video we saw like 2 years ago. The reason it is PC only and free is due to licensing issues that they have been dealing with regarding the ways some mechs look.

The way they will make money is with in game micro purchases.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
From what I have heard/read/extrapolated, this is based on the video we saw like 2 years ago. The reason it is PC only and free is due to licensing issues that they have been dealing with regarding the ways some mechs look.

The way they will make money is with in game micro purchases.

This is the same set of developers that produced the vid from 2 years ago, but since then, they've changed the time they're using for the game (3048+ vs 3015). I think I linked the interviews, but the licensing issues over certain mechs actually didn't factor into the delay much if at all, even though that was much speculated upon.

Basically, the license from Microsoft specified that they couldn't make a version for the PS3. It had to be 360/PC only. None of the publishers would touch it, because they wanted a PS3 version, or they wanted to own the IP, neither of which could happen. Eventually, they came upon the idea of making it PC-only and free-to-play, and then a smaller publisher (I think. I'd never heard of them) picked them up.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Randomly googled "battletech los angeles" and I'm very surprised at how active this community is.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Basically, the license from Microsoft specified that they couldn't make a version for the PS3. It had to be 360/PC only. None of the publishers would touch it, because they wanted a PS3 version, or they wanted to own the IP, neither of which could happen. Eventually, they came upon the idea of making it PC-only and free-to-play, and then a smaller publisher (I think. I'd never heard of them) picked them up.

Hmm... :hmm:

I'm OK with this. :awe:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Multiplayer Battletech 3025, revived! Hopefully. Did anyone else play the beta of it, back in the day?

I forsee this being kind of like World of Tanks, just with mechs. Awesome!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As for mechs that we should see, considering this will be at the start of the Clan Invasion, it will mean mostly House Steiner, House Kurtia, Wolf's Dragoons and Kell Hounds designed mechs on the Inner Sphere, and then the assorted arsenal of Clan mechs.

Expect to see some or most of the following: the Victor, Hunchback, possibly the Annihilator, the Urbanmech, the Firefly, Falcon, Hornet, Dragon, Grand Dragon, Catapult, Black Hawk, Mad Cat, Mad Dog, Hellbringer, Kit Fox, Firestarter, and Summoner.

Things I would not expect to see Warhammer (IIC), Marauder (II or IIC), Battlemaster (IIC) (or really any other behemoth class mechs aside from the Atlas, they were just too rare and even then were only used defending a few key worlds during the invasion).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
This is the same set of developers that produced the vid from 2 years ago, but since then, they've changed the time they're using for the game (3048+ vs 3015). I think I linked the interviews, but the licensing issues over certain mechs actually didn't factor into the delay much if at all, even though that was much speculated upon.

Ahh very interesting. I would have preferred the earlier time frame, but I fine with the later one.

Hopefully this turns out to be as fun as MW4 was. I was in several clans and played that game entirely too much.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
curious: how did you all get into the battletech universe? many of you seem very, very knowledgeable about the lore

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
Things I would not expect to see Warhammer (IIC), Marauder (II or IIC), Battlemaster (IIC) (or really any other behemoth class mechs aside from the Atlas, they were just too rare and even then were only used defending a few key worlds during the invasion).

I wouldn't expect them to stick this close to canon. They'll add whatever 'mechs to the game players are willing to pay for.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
curious: how did you all get into the battletech universe? many of you seem very, very knowledgeable about the lore

Originally? Mechwarrior 2. I was really fanatical about Battletech for a while, but unfortunately no one around here plays the board game.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005

I'm not actually all that knowledgeable, but I've been reading up on the game/announcement/discussion since it appeared on twitter a month ago. As far as Battletech, though, I played MW4, maybe a decade ago. More recently than that, I played the Mechwarrior Dark Ages tabletop game. I still have the miniatures.

As far as the lore, though, I usually ask a buddy of mine (he who I borrowed MW4 from, IIRC) who has a bunch of the novels, or check the internet.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
so according to that thread and timeline of the game and mech designs we should see some good mechs.

The:

Shadow hawk
Archer
Warhammer
Maurader
Dragon
Grand Dragon
Locust
Zeus
Victor
Battlemaster
Stalker
Banshee
Annihilator
Atlas

All have designs/models dating from within 50 years of the game timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I played MW1, MW2, and MW4. I have also read several books. Although most all the books I have read have been from Classic Battletech. Was never much of a fan of the Dark Age novels.

Played with several clans on NBT with MW4. One of them we did very well, the other... not so much. But both were fun.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
How are they able to use the Warhammer and Marauder? I thought that Harmony Gold more or less stops any BattleTech/MechWarrior production due to those types of mechs?

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
How are they able to use the Warhammer and Marauder? I thought that Harmony Gold more or less stops any BattleTech/MechWarrior production due to those types of mechs?

Unless something has changed they can't prevent use of the names, only the images (the "unseen"). A few years ago they reintroduced them with new designs (the "reseen"). I remember seeing something a while ago that they were trying to make a deal that would allow the unseen designs to be used again, but I think it fell through.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
Multiplayer Battletech 3025, revived! Hopefully. Did anyone else play the beta of it, back in the day?

I forsee this being kind of like World of Tanks, just with mechs. Awesome!

The day EA shutdown the 3025 servers when they were just about ready to launch was the day I knew they were pure-evil.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Hope a TimberWolf type mech makes it in.

Pretty sure a timberwolf the clan name for "mad cat". If this is set at the time of the clan invasions then for sure it'll be there, as its one of the more iconic mechs that's on like, every single battletech box.