Mechanical Pencil or Wooden Pencil?

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Yes there are some ancient species like myself who still do handwriting, and use pencil too.

So that obligatory disclaimer aside, which is your preference?

Last edited:

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I always thought mechanical pencils went obsolete 15 years ago. But to answer your question, use pens instead.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
There is something too permanent about using a pen....its a psychological thing with me, I think.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I have several hundred mechanical pencils from cheapies to high end drafting pencils. I prefer the reasonably priced Alpha Gel Shakers to the more expensive mechanical pencils or fancy wooden pencils like the Palomino Blackwings. I like mine in 0.5 mm with 4B lead for smoothness. If only Alpha would make non-crappy erasers for the Alpha, it would be near perfect.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I have several hundred mechanical pencils from cheapies to high end drafting pencils. I prefer the reasonably priced Alpha Gel Shakers to the more expensive mechanical pencils or fancy wooden pencils like the Palomino Blackwings. I like mine in 0.5 mm with 4B lead for smoothness. If only Alpha would make non-crappy erasers for the Alpha, it would be near perfect.
I don't understand any of the other words, but 0.5mm is where it's at. I've tried 0.3 but that's just too needly and 0.7 is like using a paintbrush.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
I always thought mechanical pencils went obsolete 15 years ago. But to answer your question, use pens instead.
Not at all. Any art or drafting store has loads of them, plus they offer huge conveniences over wooden pencils.

I love a good mechanical pencil. I have a fascination with writing instruments in general, and could probably go on forever about them. I believe I've asked for "a nice pen" for Christmas every year for the past decade, and I always carry one with me. In school, an entire pocket of my backpack was full of various pens and mech pencils. The first thing I do when I get a new one is completely disassemble it to learn its mechanisms for operating.

I used to despise mech pencils with the itty bitty erasers, but have grown to appreciate them for correcting very minor errors in a pinch. I think trying to use them in school to erase a whole sentence traumatized me.

Over the years, I've settled on my favorite mechanical pencil being the Pentel Twist-Erase, that I picked up in college. It was a .5, and I recently found a .7, and .9 at a drafting store. For pens, it's the Pentel R.S.V.P. A very cheap ball--point pen. I've never been a huge fan of gel inks. By the way, for quality Pentel > Pentech.

I also use a wooden carpenter's pencil from time to time around the house.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like both. Mechanicals are more precise, but I like the feel of wood, and hand sharpening them with a knife. I use 2H woodies 99% of the time anymore.
IMG_20180504_134945.jpg

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I use a mechanical pencil for laying out my cuts etc in the wood shop and a carpenters pencil for the coarse layouts

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
quicker clicker .5 for standard writing
prismacolors for color
t'gaal sharpener

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Mechanical pencils over wooden, or regular, pencils. I have a steel barreled pencil that I bought when I started taking grad classes, maybe this one, and I like it a lot. I use an ink pen at work but I don't like the fact I can't erase when it comes to school work so I went the pencil route instead.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i really dont like mechanical pencils, i break the tip constantly.

also, i'd rather use a fountain pen, but if it needs be, i would go wood pencil.

1. fountain pen
2. soft tip
3. ball point
4. wood pencil
5. mechanical

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Ticonderoga pencils with a Staedtler sharpener or get out of my face.

While it is a good sharpener, I had three of those Staedtler sharpeners have the lid break off and spill lead dust inside my backpack. I've found some other ones that I've become more fond of.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I almost forgot how much of a pain it was to have to have a pencil sharpener on hand. Another reason why pens are my daily driver. I will say that using wooden pencils have their uses (in the shop for instance), but mechanical pencils should have never happened.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
While it is a good sharpener, I had three of those Staedtler sharpeners have the lid break off and spill lead dust inside my backpack. I've found some other ones that I've become more fond of.
What's your favorite? The lid on mine hasn't broke but if it does I'd need a good replacement.