Discussion Meat is murder? Then prove it.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't eat either animals or plants. I eat chemical that come in animal or plant wrappers. My hands are clean so long as I wipe carefully.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think the topic misses the point by a parsec at best.
We are meant for the stars. So the question becomes, what can we grow in space, on long treks, that will sustain us.
That is all that really matters.

In regards to murder. Evolution of species. How the hell you think we got here? Look all the way down from us. You want to prevent all that murder too? Or just murder by humans? It makes no logical sense on any level.
You are too disconnected about where your food comes from if you buy into the meat is murder BS.
That being said, the food industry needs to grow the fuck up, we cant torture animals for a lifetime just to end it and put it in a burger. Let the burger have a life before it becomes burger.
All those animals, from top to bottom, from ape to spider, that is what we are standing on, they were here before us, they are a prerequisite to us .. Have some god damned respect. For yourself.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I see that there are no strict vegans or Animal Rights Activist here as I no one is really debating me on how meat is murder.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Animals eat other animals.

Well, plants also eat animals, but they do generally have the courtesy to wait until they're dead first.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Animals eat other animals.

Well, plants also eat animals, but they do generally have the courtesy to wait until they're dead first.
This. Killing is simply the natural cycle of life. All animals including Humans, have to kill other living organisms in order to live. There is no way around it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Civilization has given us the option whether we choose to be carnivors or herbivores and everything in between.

And then we have those folks who have the time, the inclination and the depth of pocket where they can choose to be herbivores. Lots of folks simply can't afford to shop at the supermarket or speciality stores for living the life of a vegan.

Let's face it, it's expensive, it's inconvenient for city dwellers and it takes a lot of knowledge about dietary requirements in order to customize a vegan diet not only for oneself but also for their families.

More to say but gotta get back to work. Ciao

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Animals would eat us if they got the chance. I have no issues with eating wild animals. But I think we should try to avoid causing unnecessary suffering of domesticated animals.

If that's the case then don't discriminate. Let's bring in dogs and cats into the mix. Supposedly both a re tasty if cooked correctly.

So, a cow would eat us if given the chance? Huh?

Mar 11, 2004
Plants are alive, so why isn't murder to kill them? We humans have to kill and consume other living things in order to live.

Now I can see and even agree with concerns about animal farming and killing the meat animal humanely as possible.

Is...wait, are you being actually serious. I was thinking this was a joke/parody thread but I guess not?

So how would we prevent wild animals from eating our crops? How would you get vitamin B12? What about habitat destruction?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_destruction

Yes, I'm sure you're eating the creatures that are eating our crops (which are mostly insects). Furthermore, I don't think I've met a farmer that eats the larger animals doing that stuff, aside from maybe deer, but they generally don't have lots of deer in their foodcrops. Are you just a total fucking dumbshit and think that there's like rampaging herds of cows out eating foodcrops or something? And wild pigs or rabbits that do that in some areas, don't tend to make good meat, and there's just so damn much of them that people aren't into eating most of them (oh and generally they kill them using poison or other methods that tend to not be great for consuming the animals later).

Just wow, holy shit, do non-meating eating people really bother you that goddamn much?

I've never made a fuss about not eating much meat (I eat burgers and bacon and fish and very occasionally some other meat products, but its maybe like 5 times a week total, well maybe more if you count splitting a sandwich into two meals or leftover pepperoni pizza or something; and I eat too much milk, cheese, and eggs to be vegan) but holy shit do meat eating assholes sure go out of their way to freak the fuck out if I should decide to not include meat in a meal. While allegedly they do exist, I've literally never encountered an actual "militant" vegan or people that go out of their way to push their vegan or vegatarian on anyone else) in real life, but I've encountered an entire stockyard worth of fat fucking meat eating assholes who want to start pontificating about how meat means being a real man or some other insane bullshit rhetoric. Generally asking them if they're going to pay for all my food, oh they aren't, well then why the fuck are they mouthing off about what I'm eating then, gets them to shut the fuck up. But why they're doing what allegedly is pissing them off so much (preaching about what people should eat), well you have to be a conservative because they're the only ones that are that big of hypocrites and have that unique mix idiocy, being obsessed with what others think but somehow being completely self absorbed while also somehow almost completely lacking any and all self awareness.

Yes I know Peta exists and that those people believe it. I've never met actual Peta members in real life (that I'm aware of, if they are they've never made it known or made a fuss about it beyond me just knowing that they love animals and so I'm much more likely to hear about adopting shelter pets or something else). I've literally never encountered someone making a fuss about being vegetarian or vegan though, and yes, I've hung out with some pretty hippy ass people before and people that I know are vegetarian or vegan, but don't bring it up or preach to other people about it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
Civilization has given us the option whether we choose to be carnivors or herbivores and everything in between.

And then we have those folks who have the time, the inclination and the depth of pocket where they can choose to be herbivores. Lots of folks simply can't afford to shop at the supermarket or speciality stores for living the life of a vegan.

Let's face it, it's expensive, it's inconvenient for city dwellers and it takes a lot of knowledge about dietary requirements in order to customize a vegan diet not only for oneself but also for their families.

Being vegan really wouldn't be that expensive. Canned and frozen veggies and fruit are pretty cheap, bread is cheap. Hell fresh produce isn't even that expensive, bag of salad mix or shredded ettuce is like maybe $2-3 and would feed a couple people or last a couple of days when mixed with other stuff. Peanut butter is cheap, as are beans, and you can commodity buy a lot of that stuff to get it even cheaper. The stuff to make granola is fairly cheap (although the prepackaged stuff seems high priced). I can guarantee you that your average meat consumer spends more on meat than it'd cost to make up that meat consumption in veggies, even fresh produce would probably be at worst similarly priced (unless you're being a moron and comparing say the cut produce that are stupid expensive in grocery stores - especially the fruit is priced just outright stupid).

Er, going to a grocery store is somehow more inconvenient for city dwellers? Now sure, food deserts are a thing, but unless you're really poor, you can make it to a place with fresh produce without too much trouble, and now you can have it delivered pretty easily as well. Eh, I don't think it'd take that much to sort out (I mean, most people are already including that on top of meat, so its not really an either or thing, and you could supplement it with vitamins or eat stuff like cereals that have quite a bit of added vitamins), but I also think that if you were willing to compromise on hard vegan diet it'd be stupid easy and not require likely any effort beyond what figuring out a typical diet does.

Seems like the people that I've encountered that are obsessed with the high end vegan focused stores aren't actually vegetarian or vegan and are instead just rich assholes that can and are willing to spend to have someone else prepare their stuff so they basically can just eat it without spending any time preparing it. They're the same way with food in general, where they'll pay for some perfect portioned thing that's 3 times the price per/unit instead of buying another that is the same but they'd have to maybe cut it into portions, let alone something they'd have to actually cook or something. Or they just believe its some ultra high quality version of the product and have more money than sense.

Mar 11, 2004
@darkswordsman17 I am not bothered at at by people who choose to be vegan. Just the ones who want to force everyone else into it.

This thread shows that you're full of shit. Look at all the nonsense you've posted in here, just because you got setoff by fucking Peta. You're literally doing exactly what you're complaining about.

And like I said, I've literally never encountered such people (pushing vegan/veggie diet/lifestyle) in real life, but I've encountered LOTS of people spouting shit like you've been in this thread. Case in point, I cannot recall a thread of someone posting how people should be vegan or vegetarian or hell I don't think I've seen threads just about veggies or fruits (sure there's probably been some, but they'd be like "which fast food place has the best fries" or other dumb shit), but there's got to have been like 100 about people buttfucking each others brains out over how much dickmeat they chew down. And there's been others bitching about peta or trying to insult vegans and others. Its stupid. Its like a bunch of Dennis Leary's, gloating about being assholes, with none of the self awareness or originality(so, very much like Leary, since he ripped off Bill Hicks) but all of the stupidity and the asshole factor puckered up to Turmp levels.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
This thread shows that you're full of shit. Look at all the nonsense you've posted in here, just because you got setoff by fucking Peta. You're literally doing exactly what you're complaining about.

And like I said, I've literally never encountered such people (pushing vegan/veggie diet/lifestyle) in real life, but I've encountered LOTS of people spouting shit like you've been in this thread. Case in point, I cannot recall a thread of someone posting how people should be vegan or vegetarian or hell I don't think I've seen threads just about veggies or fruits (sure there's probably been some, but they'd be like "which fast food place has the best fries" or other dumb shit), but there's got to have been like 100 about people buttfucking each others brains out over how much dickmeat they chew down. And there's been others bitching about peta or trying to insult vegans and others. Its stupid. Its like a bunch of Dennis Leary's, gloating about being assholes, with none of the self awareness or originality(so, very much like Leary, since he ripped off Bill Hicks) but all of the stupidity and the asshole factor puckered up to Turmp levels.
I'm in no way saying that vegans should be forced to to consume animal products or even harassing those who choose live the vegan lifestyle. And yes I have been harassed for eating meat by vegans before.

And for those who claim that eating meat is murder, well I'm asking them to show that is actually the case.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

And worse, it may not be that healthy for humans to be vegan. The amount of sugars and fiber they eat is pretty crazy. They can develop intestinal issues from that much fiber. Our bodies are designed to process meat and plant. Not just plant. It always amazes me when vegans get into their diet, lose weight, feel fatigued, and have intestinal issues. Yet they cant put two and two together.

Reactions: tweaker2