McDonald's charges you an extra $0.50 to use your credit/debit card.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Well, just think about it this way. If you work at all in the USA, then you'll probably be taking more than 50 cents worth of your time off of your life each time you eat there in the first place. That makes it seem slightly less vile. The .50 charge, not the food, that still seems pretty vile.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yep our local restaurant does something similar and charges a delivery fee without telling you.

It's cheaper, I guess, because they get no tip.

Kermy

Sep 15, 2000
Same here at Carl's Jr, actually at a lot of fast food places, they won't take credit cards but only debit cards then when you use it they charge you .50 - .75 cents.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
nearly every retail store does that. and they weren't charging you to use your CC. Whenever you enter your PIN # in ANYTHING, it is going through as a debit transaction, not as a "check card" or "credit card" transaction, and as such you are subject to a fee. It's the same as going to an ATM (from a bank other than your own) and withdrawing cash.

Thats BS.....

I work in a retail store and I use my ATM/ Debit card all the time, it is visa backed, but I still enter my PIN number. I have never been charged a fee for doing that by the store or my bank. and I all the time use my debit card at target, walmart, k-mart, eb, etc... and I enter my pin at all the places and NEVER get charged a fee by either my bank or the store.[/quote]

Yea, you ain't charged any fee for using debit cards at a store. That's the whole point of why you can get cashback at select stores when using debit. Otherwise, it would make no sense whatsoever.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: vegetation
nearly every retail store does that. and they weren't charging you to use your CC. Whenever you enter your PIN # in ANYTHING, it is going through as a debit transaction, not as a "check card" or "credit card" transaction, and as such you are subject to a fee. It's the same as going to an ATM (from a bank other than your own) and withdrawing cash.

Thats BS.....

I work in a retail store and I use my ATM/ Debit card all the time, it is visa backed, but I still enter my PIN number. I have never been charged a fee for doing that by the store or my bank. and I all the time use my debit card at target, walmart, k-mart, eb, etc... and I enter my pin at all the places and NEVER get charged a fee by either my bank or the store.

Yea, you ain't charged any fee for using debit cards at a store. That's the whole point of why you can get cashback at select stores when using debit. Otherwise, it would make no sense whatsoever.[/quote]

Some banks do charge now, though.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
It makes sence, mcdonalds didnt even accept CC/debit until a few months ago. And it costs THEM money to accpet it on every single transaction... its especially bad on low cost items like fast food.

Don't like it? Take cash.

Krugger

Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Coquito
Originally posted by: caitlion
yeah its stupid.

the lady told me its because the company charges them to do it. i know south philly does too. (a fast food type restaurant here.. i dunno if its a chain)

all stores get charged a per transaction fee. most smaller stores usually set a minimum purchase required(like $15), but as far as i know, i've never been charged for anything except using another banks atm.

min. purchase requirements are prohibited by both visa and mastercard. (look it up if you dont believe it). AmEx allows it ONLY if the other CC's that the merchant accepts allow it, so basically unless a merchant only accepts AmEx they won't be doing it. as for a charge to use your credit card, i also believe that is prohibited, i will find the terms again though and check.

Krugger

Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Krugger
Originally posted by: Coquito
Originally posted by: caitlion
yeah its stupid.

the lady told me its because the company charges them to do it. i know south philly does too. (a fast food type restaurant here.. i dunno if its a chain)

all stores get charged a per transaction fee. most smaller stores usually set a minimum purchase required(like $15), but as far as i know, i've never been charged for anything except using another banks atm.

min. purchase requirements are prohibited by both visa and mastercard. (look it up if you dont believe it). AmEx allows it ONLY if the other CC's that the merchant accepts allow it, so basically unless a merchant only accepts AmEx they won't be doing it. as for a charge to use your credit card, i also believe that is prohibited, i will find the terms again though and check.

FOUND IT!

LINKY
--------
Can merchants set a minimum purchase or charge me a fee for accepting my Visa card?
Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items. They also are not permitted to charge you a fee when you want to use your Visa card.

If you run into a problem like this with a merchant, please notify the financial institution that issued you your Visa card. These institutions have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations and can help you document and file your complaint. You'll find their address and/or telephone number on your Visa statement. Their telephone number may also appear on the back of the card itself.
--------

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
i've seen a lot of fast food resturants charge a small fee for debit card use.

Carls Jr. charges $.50
Taco Bell charges $.99
McDonalds charges $.50

I usually bring cash to a fast food resturant unless I see that they don't charge a fee if I use my Debit card.

Krugger

Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve
Thanks for digging that up, Krugger. It might come in handy in the future. :)
yea i had to dig it up recently. had a fight with... dominoes i think. they said you have to pay at least $10 to use a CC, i said no way you're not allowed to do it. then called up papa johns and enjoyed my pizza and bread sticks. sent some info to visa and dominoes corporate though.

as for debit cards, i do not know the details. i know the debit card transactions are related to your bank, so they would know. visa doesn't do anything with debit card (PIN) transactions. also, a safe bet is to ALWAYS go credit, not debit. as soon as you push in your PIN, you lose your all your Visa protections. then you gotta deal with your bank. more of a hassle IMO. plus it's just so much easier to get your PIN stolen that way.
-Krugger

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
If you entered a PIN, then it was exactly the same thing as an ATM transaction as far as the bank is concerned, and your bank probably hit you with their "non-network ATM" transaction fee. If you did this type of transaction (using a PIN) and McDonald's or any other retailer/ATM operator hit you up for a fee (as opposed to the bank's fee), it would NOT be litsed seperately.

If it really was a Visa transaction, where you did not enter a PIN, I don't know what to tell you except that it's probably a mistake, because A), merchants are not allowed to add separate fees to make up for the cost of the transaction, and B), if they did break the CC industry rules like that, they would not do it in two separate transactions, since each transaction costs the merchant roughly 50 cents.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Speaking of McD's, anybody know what time they open in the morning? I haven't been there in years and I could go for some breakfast here in a little bit...

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Speaking of McD's, anybody know what time they open in the morning? I haven't been there in years and I could go for some breakfast here in a little bit...

Every McDonald's can open at a different time. Just call the specific location on the phone and ask. The crew generally gets there an hour in advance.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Thegonagle

Every McDonald's can open at a different time. Just call the specific location on the phone and ask. The crew generally gets there an hour in advance.

nah, too lazy. I was hoping someone here would know so I don't have to do any work ;)

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
McDonalds is *absolute sh|t*

I no longer subject myself or my body to that crap. I'd rather go hungry.

i agree.

i was told a few weeks ago the local one would be closed for renovations til march or so

i drove by monday and behold! a glorious sight! it was levelled to the ground!

i wish it would stay that way, i dont know how so many people enjoy it...sick as hell if you ask me

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
I used my debit at McDonald's a couple of days ago, I had the receipt in my pocket. No extra charge.

I am saying it is an "after charge." Like when you leave a tip on the reciept that you sign at a regular chain place. They add the charge later, it never shows up on the reciept

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
FOUND IT!

LINKY
--------
Can merchants set a minimum purchase or charge me a fee for accepting my Visa card?
Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items. They also are not permitted to charge you a fee when you want to use your Visa card.

If you run into a problem like this with a merchant, please notify the financial institution that issued you your Visa card. These institutions have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations and can help you document and file your complaint. You'll find their address and/or telephone number on your Visa statement. Their telephone number may also appear on the back of the card itself.
--------

Visa and MC are also prohibitted from giving you cash on your card. Example: Sometimes at the bar, I run out of money playing Golden Tee or PGA. I can always get $20 cash and have them put it on my tab to be paid by CC upon leaving. Technically, this is prohibited by their terms of agreement.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
McDonalds is *absolute sh|t*

I no longer subject myself or my body to that crap. I'd rather go hungry.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you drink alcohol, smoke pot, and do other various drugs?

Hypocrite much?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You might see it a low volume store as a way of recouping costs. It costs a buisness money on every credit card transaction. On low margin items like the $.99 sandwiches and chicken nuggets you are barely making money as it is. Then couple that with a percentage of sales ding from the credit card company, plus the per transaction fee that's a flat rate and you probably just lost money on the deal. It's not as big of a deal on large dollar orders, but hundreds of $2 and $3 charges can really cut and already thing profit shorter.

They may also be trying to recoup some costs on a broadband connection that they had to put in to support the transactions to the CC provider.

I don't really condone the charge, but I can see where it would be necessary.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Bad enough you're eating at McD's, you gotta use your credit card to pay for it?? Sad....

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Winchester
I used my debit at McDonald's a couple of days ago, I had the receipt in my pocket. No extra charge.

I am saying it is an "after charge." Like when you leave a tip on the reciept that you sign at a regular chain place. They add the charge later, it never shows up on the reciept

Usually, unless their CC system is setup completely wrong or the server forgot to adjust the ticket before he/she "closed out" after the shift and had to run a separate transaction to get the tip, a charge at a restaurant clears through a single transaction (bill + tip = total).

How does that work, you might ask? Because the approval and the actual charge do not go through at the same time. The approval merely checks for an available amount, which the bank then "holds" until the real charge goes through.

Pay-at-the-pump gas stations usually ask for an approval of $1. If approved, the pump turns on and you fill the tank. After you fill the tank, the final transaction amount is stored along with many others to be transmitted in a batch to the CC processing company. The real charge for the actual amount goes through hours later, usually at closing time or the middle of the night.

Restaurants are similar, except that they usually ask for an approval that's 20% over the bill. The bank instantly "holds" the approval amount, but no real money makes it from your account to the restaurant's at that point. A signature slip is printed with a line for you to add a tip. Later, the server adjusts your transaction to include the tip, and the total that you signed for is stored until closing time, when a batch of all the day's final CC transactions is transmitted.

That's why you'll typically see a "charge" for the wrong amount until a pay-at-the-pump or restaurant transaction is finalized at your bank--you're not seeing the actual charge, all you're seeing is the approval, or "hold" amount.