McDonald's charges you an extra $0.50 to use your credit/debit card.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
My sister was griping about this today. They dont even have a sign or anything they just ad it on later, like a tip.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
they must have some special agreement with the card companies, because that is against the regular service agreement.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Winchester
My sister was griping about this today. They dont even have a sign or anything they just ad it on later, like a tip.

Maybe its just a placement charge. They may just take out the .50 to put a hold on your account and then take out the full amount later and credit back the .50. I know Gas stations do that with debits cards, they charge a $1.00 hold fee though, but it is always gave back when they charge the full amount.

Josh

RedPickle

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2002
Yea, well they charge us New Yorkers an extra 25 cents, for extra barbecue or sweet and sour sauce. :(

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
are you 100% sure they didn't have a sign, and 100% sure that it was for credit cards also? taco bell does similar things with debit cards only (NOT check cards if used as credit), but the sign is clearly posted.

it would make a lot more sense if it was for debit cards only, as it would be akin to an ATM fee.

EDIT: For clarity, Taco Bell does not accept credit cards, only debit cards.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
yeah its stupid.

the lady told me its because the company charges them to do it. i know south philly does too. (a fast food type restaurant here.. i dunno if its a chain)

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
McDonalds is *absolute sh|t*

I no longer subject myself or my body to that crap. I'd rather go hungry.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
i went to target during christmas week and bought something there. i thought it was strange that i had to put in my pin code & manually type in and ok the amount. when i get my statement, i find that target conveinantly dressed up an atm to look like the credit card swiping machine. the b@stards charged me $1 to use my cc. just like you, no signs, no prior notices.

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Coquito
i went to target during christmas week and bought something there. i thought it was strange that i had to put in my pin code & manually type in and ok the amount. when i get my statement, i find that target conveinantly dressed up an atm to look like the credit card swiping machine. the b@stards charged me $1 to use my cc. just like you, no signs, no prior notices.

nearly every retail store does that. and they weren't charging you to use your CC. Whenever you enter your PIN # in ANYTHING, it is going through as a debit transaction, not as a "check card" or "credit card" transaction, and as such you are subject to a fee. It's the same as going to an ATM (from a bank other than your own) and withdrawing cash.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: caitlion
yeah its stupid.

the lady told me its because the company charges them to do it. i know south philly does too. (a fast food type restaurant here.. i dunno if its a chain)

all stores get charged a per transaction fee. most smaller stores usually set a minimum purchase required(like $15), but as far as i know, i've never been charged for anything except using another banks atm.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

I thought that if it said that then you had to be notified, every ATM that I have used that wasent my banks gave me a notice. I have used targets new checkout system many a times without being charged. Also if McDees is charging you an ATM fee then wouldnt your bank also charge you?

Josh

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: emmpee

nearly every retail store does that. and they weren't charging you to use your CC. Whenever you enter your PIN # in ANYTHING, it is going through as a debit transaction, not as a "check card" or "credit card" transaction, and as such you are subject to a fee. It's the same as going to an ATM (from a bank other than your own) and withdrawing cash.

Thats BS.....

I work in a retail store and I use my ATM/ Debit card all the time, it is visa backed, but I still enter my PIN number. I have never been charged a fee for doing that by the store or my bank. and I all the time use my debit card at target, walmart, k-mart, eb, etc... and I enter my pin at all the places and NEVER get charged a fee by either my bank or the store.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003

i had a feeling, but i completely thought it was just the new way of doing things. the lady said cash or credit, i took out the card & put in the info. they didn't let me know that they were too cheap to pay their won fees, so they've opened up automatic atms. i never liked cc's; fees everywhere you look.

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDman12GHz
Originally posted by: Coquito i went to target during christmas week and bought something there. i thought it was strange that i had to put in my pin code & manually type in and ok the amount. when i get my statement, i find that target conveinantly dressed up an atm to look like the credit card swiping machine. the b@stards charged me $1 to use my cc. just like you, no signs, no prior notices.
Thats BS..... I work in a retail store and I use my ATM/ Debit card all the time, it is visa backed, but I still enter my PIN number. I have never been charged a fee for doing that by the store or my bank. and I all the time use my debit card at target, walmart, k-mart, eb, etc... and I enter my pin at all the places and NEVER get charged a fee by either my bank or the store.

perhaps i'm slightly mistaken... a little googling seems to indicate that whether or not a fee is charged is determined by the bank the card is issued from, although retail stores/etc do have the right to add additional fees (like taco bells' $0.50, or any other bank's ATM).

Here's the link I found about this, it's pretty bad but it's still info, i'm looking for some more stuff...

EDIT: A list of banks in New York State that charge fees on Point-Of-Sale transactions using debit cards.

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Coquito i went to target during christmas week and bought something there. i thought it was strange that i had to put in my pin code & manually type in and ok the amount. when i get my statement, i find that target conveinantly dressed up an atm to look like the credit card swiping machine. the b@stards charged me $1 to use my cc. just like you, no signs, no prior notices.
i had a feeling, but i completely thought it was just the new way of doing things. the lady said cash or credit, i took out the card & put in the info. they didn't let me know that they were too cheap to pay their won fees, so they've opened up automatic atms. i never liked cc's; fees everywhere you look.

The stores are pretty tricky sometimes. At some stores, when you swipe a hybrid ATM/check card, it'll automatically take you to the "enter pin#" screen. To avoid the PIN#, you have to press CANCEL, and then press "CREDIT". It's really lame, and there's no signs indicating that. I know KMart does (used to do?) that, and other big-box stores might as well.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Walmart pulls that enter pin crap. Have to hit cancel all the time.
As for Mcdonalds, it's rare to find one that takes credit cards. Only ones I've seen is the ones on the Mass Pike.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDman12GHz
Thats BS..... I work in a retail store and I use my ATM/ Debit card all the time, it is visa backed, but I still enter my PIN number. I have never been charged a fee for doing that by the store or my bank. and I all the time use my debit card at target, walmart, k-mart, eb, etc... and I enter my pin at all the places and NEVER get charged a fee by either my bank or the store.

perhaps i'm slightly mistaken... a little googling seems to indicate that whether or not a fee is charged is determined by the bank the card is issued from, although retail stores/etc do have the right to add additional fees (like taco bells' $0.50, or any other bank's ATM).

<a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/1a0788.html" target=blank>Here's the link</A> I found about this, it's pretty bad but it's still info, i'm looking for some more stuff...

EDIT: A <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nypirg.org/consumer/atm/2003/feesnys.PDF" target=blank>list of banks</A> in New York State that charge fees on Point-Of-Sale transactions using debit cards.

Well I use my debit card with pin # every day and I have never been charged a fee except at other banks ATM's. I have Farmers & Merchants banking BTW.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n

I agree. I didn't know anyone still ate there.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n

indeed. but i love big macs

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
All the Mcdonalds here in Orlando takes CC and we don't charge for any extra fee.
Are you sure you're not mistaken on that fee ?
As someone said earlier, they will do a pre-auth on your card and place $1 or .50 until the full amount is charged.