McCain's Secret Military Records Cast Doubt Over His Career, Experience

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

Republicans didn't have a problem smearing McCain back in 2000...

that certainly makes it all better :thumbsup:

Yeah - the truth tends to be a bitch doesn't it..... Your GOP has treated McCain like trash until 2008...

Hypocrites...

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The nomination of McCain to lead the Republican party is an insult to the majority. He really is uninspiring and well, old.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Quick thing, wouldn't the lack of a functioning brain stem mostly only impair motor function, things like that? I mean if you had a non-functional brain stem you should still be able to type ridiculous partisan crap through a Stephen Hawking style thing as I'm going to assume hackery is more located in the frontal lobe.

Heheh, now now Spy, if you bring up thought-provoking stuff like that you're just gonna ruin the fun of watching others fumble around with their healthy serving of hyperbole and a side of sarcasm. ;)

1.) I never said that I believed the "Swiftboat debacle" was based in fact...you're vastly superior brain stem is starting to imagine things...better get that checked out.

Ah, someone is still dining I see. :laugh: No, but you were acting like that affair actually had substance to it, then implied that it was all just really a matter of perspective. *buzzer* Wrong!

2.) Wikipedia defines Swiftboating as follows: yada yada...

You're getting confused it seems. Not only was I not contesting it's definition as per Wiki, I am also not the one suggesting that a simple article which asks some obvious questions is the same as an ad hom attack or smear campaign. Any of this getting through?

You apparently think the term is only applicable to the 2004 Kerry swiftboarding debacle.

Wrong AGAIN, holy crap - you trying to set a record for faulty assumptions in this thread or something? The Swiftboat Liars are the best example of said "Swiftboating" for obvious reasons, I don't give a sh!t if you're uncomfortable with it. It's directly applicable to this story as it involves military service records in a recent time frame. Semantics be damned, I know perfectly well what the notion means, having used it in the sense you linked on these same forums. How about you try to get down the basics before making more assumptions over someone else's "worldview." You have no idea, and trying to act like you do makes you look even more silly.

You label others with "narrow world view" and speak of partisanship, yet here you are trying to assert that the OP's article is the same thing as a multi-million dollar political smear campaign replete with actors and run coast to coast during prime time! WOW.
So, let's hear it...what exactly was it about this article that is so damning and disgusting in the same way it was to see Kerry get maligned for having the balls to go to war? Innuenedo and speculation, that's it? That's what you're getting indignant about?

Maybe if the Op had conducted a phone campaign regarding black love children you might have something more tangible, but sorry, Karl Rove is still playing on the GOP side last I heard...

3.) My apologies if you indeed are not "trying to smear McCain". It's obvious that you're bitter about what happened in 2004...

Not so much bitter as disgusted really. The treatment heaped upon Kerry by military minded people was truly pitiful to watch, almost as bad as the same crowd propping up Bush, self-deluding themselves over that man's qualities and accomplishments. Sorry, there's just a very stomach turning quality to seeing vets fooled into throwing their lots in with an AWOLer, and joining in with the talking points aimed at a guy who didn't avoid service and actually fought. I realize many have a grudge against Kerry for his post-war conduct, but I still don't see that as more egregious as going AWOL, using family connections to avoid duty (whilst supporting the war), or any number of the liberties and indiscretions Bush has taken with our military while in office.

I guess I'm surprised that you aren't equally concerned with what's happening now assuming you find the swiftboating of anyone an unacceptable practice.

In the words of Reagan, there you go again...

There hasn't been a Swiftboat Liar level debacle in this election cycle yet, sorry. Guess it might not seem that way for someone so incensed over some "speculation and innuendo," concerning this "McCain Witchhunt" (good one! :laugh:)

So in closing, I'd like everyone who really thinks McCain is getting Swiftboated by this article to get the fvckin sand out of their vaginas. McCain suffers worse from his own mouth, and if he is as worthy of office as his supporters think, then the full release of his records is a null issue.

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: kage69
Quick thing, wouldn't the lack of a functioning brain stem mostly only impair motor function, things like that? I mean if you had a non-functional brain stem you should still be able to type ridiculous partisan crap through a Stephen Hawking style thing as I'm going to assume hackery is more located in the frontal lobe.

Heheh, now now Spy, if you bring up thought-provoking stuff like that you're just gonna ruin the fun of watching others fumble around with their healthy serving of hyperbole and a side of sarcasm. ;)

1.) I never said that I believed the "Swiftboat debacle" was based in fact...you're vastly superior brain stem is starting to imagine things...better get that checked out.

Ah, someone is still dining I see. :laugh: No, but you were acting like that affair actually had substance to it, then implied that it was all just really a matter of perspective. *buzzer* Wrong!

2.) Wikipedia defines Swiftboating as follows: yada yada...

You're getting confused it seems. Not only was I not contesting it's definition as per Wiki, I am also not the one suggesting that a simple article which asks some obvious questions is the same as an ad hom attack or smear campaign. Any of this getting through?

You apparently think the term is only applicable to the 2004 Kerry swiftboarding debacle.

Wrong AGAIN, holy crap - you trying to set a record for faulty assumptions in this thread or something? The Swiftboat Liars are the best example of said "Swiftboating" for obvious reasons, I don't give a sh!t if you're uncomfortable with it. It's directly applicable to this story as it involves military service records in a recent time frame. Semantics be damned, I know perfectly well what the notion means, having used it in the sense you linked on these same forums. How about you try to get down the basics before making more assumptions over someone else's "worldview." You have no idea, and trying to act like you do makes you look even more silly.

You label others with "narrow world view" and speak of partisanship, yet here you are trying to assert that the OP's article is the same thing as a multi-million dollar political smear campaign replete with actors and run coast to coast during prime time! WOW.
So, let's hear it...what exactly was it about this article that is so damning and disgusting in the same way it was to see Kerry get maligned for having the balls to go to war? Innuenedo and speculation, that's it? That's what you're getting indignant about?

Maybe if the Op had conducted a phone campaign regarding black love children you might have something more tangible, but sorry, Karl Rove is still playing on the GOP side last I heard...

3.) My apologies if you indeed are not "trying to smear McCain". It's obvious that you're bitter about what happened in 2004...

Not so much bitter as disgusted really. The treatment heaped upon Kerry by military minded people was truly pitiful to watch, almost as bad as the same crowd propping up Bush, self-deluding themselves over that man's qualities and accomplishments. Sorry, there's just a very stomach turning quality to seeing vets fooled into throwing their lots in with an AWOLer, and joining in with the talking points aimed at a guy who didn't avoid service and actually fought. I realize many have a grudge against Kerry for his post-war conduct, but I still don't see that as more egregious as going AWOL, using family connections to avoid duty (whilst supporting the war), or any number of the liberties and indiscretions Bush has taken with our military while in office.

I guess I'm surprised that you aren't equally concerned with what's happening now assuming you find the swiftboating of anyone an unacceptable practice.

In the words of Reagan, there you go again...

There hasn't been a Swiftboat Liar level debacle in this election cycle yet, sorry. Guess it might not seem that way for someone so incensed over some "speculation and innuendo," concerning this "McCain Witchhunt" (good one! :laugh:)

So in closing, I'd like everyone who really thinks McCain is getting Swiftboated by this article to get the fvckin sand out of their vaginas. McCain suffers worse from his own mouth, and if he is as worthy of office as his supporters think, then the full release of his records is a null issue.

1) I was "acting" like the "Swiftboat debacle" was based in fact? You make things up and then actually believe they're true. Dude your delusional.

2) I thought a definition of the word was in order as a common starting point for clear communication between us. But it's becoming clear that...for you...it all comes down to who's been 'swiftboated' more. If that's the case, I'll freely concede that Kerry got the worse end of that stick...but it was never my intent to measure who's been swiftboated more...that's all you. And, for the record...I never asserted that the "OP's article is the same thing as a multi-million dollar political smear campaign replete with actors and run coast to coast during prime time!" But perhaps I was "acting" like I did. :roll: WOW...the delusions you have are really quite serious.

3) WTF with the random Bush rant dude? I thought we were talking about McCain. How silly of me to think you're highly partisan with a "narrow world view". For the record I don't like Bush...but perhaps I was "acting" like I did. I know it's difficult...but a little self-restraint is not a bad thing. Incessant random Bush rants regardless of topic makes you look incredibly pathetic.

You know...you've twisted this discussion into a "who's shit stinks more" argument when all I was saying is "shit stinks". If you're capable of using that vastly superior brain stem of yours and stepping back from your emotions for a split second, you should be able to see that. I won't hold my breath.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Democrats don't attack Swiftboaters for telling the truth about Kerry. They attack them for lying about Kerry.

So to have people equate telling the truth about McCain with 'Swiftboat' lying is wrong.

If you see the democrats accusing McCain of cooperating with captors without evidence, then you have something to compare.

It'd also be interesting to limit complainers to those who did not defend the Swiftboaters.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
1) I was "acting" like the "Swiftboat debacle" was based in fact? You make things up and then actually believe they're true. Dude your delusional.

You stated:
I guess it all boils down to your definition of 'swiftboating' and twisting it into what you want it to be.
How the hell am I supposed to take that, coming from a person who claims to know my "highly partisan worldview"? You don't know me as a person, shit - doesn't even look like your familiar with my stance on McCain on these very forums, how the fvck is it you know my world-view? Spare me your talk of delusions, you're the one equating a single editorial which asks basic questions to a disgusting media campaign based on lies and hate, not me.

2) I thought a definition of the word was in order as a common starting point for clear communication between us. But it's becoming clear that...for you...it all comes down to who's been 'swiftboated' more....

Wrong again - the focus of my original reply to you is quite clear: labeling this article as an attempt to "SwiftBoat" McCain is like comparing apples to 747s. I doubt very little is clear to you given you're trying to rephrase the argument to suit your position - your impressive string of faulty assumptions doesn't help that impression either.

3) WTF with the random Bush rant dude? I thought we were talking about McCain. How silly of me to think

Random? Both Bush and Kerry are mentioned in the article, and the discussion of SwiftBoating itself directly relates to Bush and Kerry, and is germane to the accusation by you and others that 'McCain is being Swiftboated.'

You know...you've twisted this discussion into a "who's shit stinks more" argument when all I was saying is "shit stinks".

No, you said, and I quote:
I don't get it...I thought the Libs hated 'swiftboating'? What gives? Oh...it only matters when there's a (D) after their name....if there's an (R)...well THAT'S a different story!

Nice revision attempt there - what was that about being pathetic again? :thumbsdown: Easy with that backpeddle, looks hard with that foot in your mouth...

If you're capable of using that vastly superior brain stem of yours and stepping back from your emotions for a split second, you should be able to see that. I won't hold my breath.

My, my, don't you chew slow. :roll: But yes, don't hold your breath - it'd be a shame for you to expire over the realization that my emotions aren't involved when you talk out your ass.
You're trying to make a mountain from a molehill (poorly I might add) because you feel McCain is the victim of a witchhunt. Have fun grinding that ax.

OMFGZ!! Speculation and innuendo!! Ahhhhhhh!!! :laugh: