• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

McCain's Secret Military Records Cast Doubt Over His Career, Experience

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
9,297
127
106
McCain sides with Bush when it comes to Iraq.

McCain sides with Bush when it comes to wiretapping.

McCain will probably select radical activist Justices for SCOTUS

And all I need to know about his military service is that he left the military to pursue a political career. So this OP doesn't matter nor sway me much.

Will I vote for McCain? uhhhh nope.
 

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
16,979
0
0
Originally posted by: OrByte
McCain sides with Bush when it comes to Iraq.

McCain sides with Bush when it comes to wiretapping.

McCain will probably select radical activist Justices for SCOTUS

And all I need to know about his military service is that he left the military to pursue a political career. So this OP doesn't matter nor sway me much.

Will I vote for McCain? uhhhh nope.
Yes to all but to clarify McCain has stated that he will continue the trend of conservative SC judges.
 

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
42,591
5
0
Typical jpeyton

Partisan troll and run:thumbsdown:

Some of the other liberals here will at least try to defend their convictions.
 

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
18,044
9,519
136
I don't get it...I thought the Libs hated 'swiftboating'? What gives?

I don't get it either...how can anyone with a functioning brain stem can confuse this as being the same as the Swiftboat campaign of 2004! Are those Libs distributing band-aids and flip-flops to others to protest McCain's service and following political record? Anyone who didn't serve with him being presented as serving with him with the real story on what happened during his tour of duty?

Yet another example that service only counts to you guys providing it accompanies a connection to the Repub party. If you guys walked the talk, you'd be giving combat vets their due respect no matter what their perspective - but thankfully John Kerry's campaign showed us your true colors. Records coming to light = a Swiftboat smear . Heh, you guys are funny.

So do proceed neoconservatives - the dichotomy of behavior concerning military service in that election and this coming one isn't forgotten, and I'm looking forward to you receiving the fruits of your...amusing entertainment.


 

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
42,816
83
91
not all republicans supported the swift boaters... many -- including McCain -- denounced them and defended JK's record.
 

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
13,918
18
81
Nice to see Obama's No. 1 Fan has embraced the politics of the Clinton's, who he wholeheartedly bashed with glee. If Obama read any of your posts I doubt he'd dirty himself by shaking your hand. Does it bother you that you are part of the partisan hackery that Obama claims he wishes would disappear?
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
101,399
5,438
126
and here i thought the dems denounced the swiftboaters. nice to see you guys picking up the slack. i wasn't sure we were going to be questioning someone's war record this time around. i guess this is 5 elections in a row, then.
 

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
18,044
9,519
136
not all republicans supported the swift boaters... many -- including McCain -- denounced them and defended JK's record.
You are absolutely right - pity more conservatives didn't take notice and actually examine the issue a little more. All that went down in a time where a Democrat Congressman who lost limbs fighting the Japanese could be chastized as being "unpatriotic" for not falling in line with this admin's policies.

Regardless, having despicable political tools trumping service and sacrifice is a little disgusting in my opinion. Having that sh!t called out by proxy isn't the same thing as standing up and saying it yourself. Sure McCain stood up for Kerry, and I applauded him for doing so - but McCain also stringently defended and supported Bush (nepotistic AWOLer extraordinairre!) for past and current military affairs. It's analogous to physically defending a flag from abuse at the hands of others, then once it's secure Old Glory is used for toilet paper.

I recall a lot of republicans supporting the dumping of McCain in 2000 on grounds he was thickheaded and possibly loony. What oh what could have happened to our more conservative minded friends which has made them reverse their prior consensus on McCain? Why is checking out someone's records now tantamount to launching Swift Liar-like attacks? Keep in mind for the most part this crowd agreed and parroted the talking points of that smear campaign. Right-wingers, you guys have no idea how foolish you look on this, do you? :(
 

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
42,591
5
0
Originally posted by: kage69
not all republicans supported the swift boaters... many -- including McCain -- denounced them and defended JK's record.
You are absolutely right - pity more conservatives didn't take notice and actually examine the issue a little more. All that went down in a time where a Democrat Congressman who lost limbs fighting the Japanese could be chastized as being "unpatriotic" for not falling in line with this admin's policies.

Regardless, having despicable political tools trumping service and sacrifice is a little disgusting in my opinion. Having that sh!t called out by proxy isn't the same thing as standing up and saying it yourself. Sure McCain stood up for Kerry, and I applauded him for doing so - but McCain also stringently defended and supported Bush (nepotistic AWOLer extraordinairre!) for past and current military affairs. It's analogous to physically defending a flag from abuse at the hands of others, then once it's secure Old Glory is used for toilet paper.

I recall a lot of republicans supporting the dumping of McCain in 2000 on grounds he was thickheaded and possibly loony. What oh what could have happened to our more conservative minded friends which has made them reverse their prior consensus on McCain? Why is checking out someone's records now tantamount to launching Swift Liar-like attacks? Keep in mind for the most part this crowd agreed and parroted the talking points of that smear campaign. Right-wingers, you guys have no idea how foolish you look on this, do you? :(
It is one thing to check out records.

It is another to distort them.

And most distorting comes from people who would be scared to go near a uniform, let alone put it on or face combat.

 
Nov 30, 2006
15,456
389
121
Originally posted by: kage69
I don't get it...I thought the Libs hated 'swiftboating'? What gives?

I don't get it either...how can anyone with a functioning brain stem can confuse this as being the same as the Swiftboat campaign of 2004! Are those Libs distributing band-aids and flip-flops to others to protest McCain's service and following political record? Anyone who didn't serve with him being presented as serving with him with the real story on what happened during his tour of duty?

Yet another example that service only counts to you guys providing it accompanies a connection to the Repub party. If you guys walked the talk, you'd be giving combat vets their due respect no matter what their perspective - but thankfully John Kerry's campaign showed us your true colors. Records coming to light = a Swiftboat smear . Heh, you guys are funny.

So do proceed neoconservatives - the dichotomy of behavior concerning military service in that election and this coming one isn't forgotten, and I'm looking forward to you receiving the fruits of your...amusing entertainment.
I guess it all boils down to your definition of 'swiftboating' and twisting it into what you want it to be. I think it's amazing the mental gymnastics you guys go through to rationalize your highly partisan worldview. Surely you can find better ways to smear a man...maybe you could do so based on his positions regarding important issues facing our country...just a thought. But hell...what's a thought worth coming from someone without a "functioning brain stem"...lol.
 

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
18,044
9,519
136
It is one thing to check out records.

It is another to distort them.

Well no shit, but those on the side of historical fact have nothing to fear if they have the truth backing them up. I feel silly explaining this to the crowd who so often uses the "well if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear!" argument. Still, you guys need to make up your minds. Either you're for the disclosure of records, or you aren't.
The right continually goes apesh!t anytime records of the Clintons are brought, why can't this sense of curiosity be applied to everyone? Kerry OK'd the total release of his records, why is it the honorable and respectable John McCain can't do the same? According to our current batch of right-wing forum pundits, there is a vast chasm of difference between the two - yet somehow McCain the hero can't bring himself to adopt the admirable actions of that lowly, squirrelly Kerry.

Alarm bells are ringing guys...


And most distorting comes from people who would be scared to go near a uniform, let alone put it on or face combat.
The performances given by members of the SwiftBoat Liars proves you wrong, sorry. Bush himself, also proves that wrong.


I guess it all boils down to your definition of 'swiftboating' and twisting it into what you want it to be. I think it's amazing the mental gymnastics you guys go through to rationalize your highly partisan worldview. Surely you can find better ways to smear a man...maybe you could do so based on his positions regarding important issues facing our country...just a thought. But hell...what's a thought worth coming from someone without a "functioning brain stem"...lol.
Apparently close to nothing, as I would expect from someone who thinks 1.) The Swiftboat debacle was based in fact and not a fiasco to be ashamed of, 2.) a matter of semantics, or 3.) that I'm trying to smear McCain.


*sigh*


Was really hoping you guys could detect the glaring double-standard that's looming over you, I'm getting a little tired of feeling ashamed by association...

 

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
3,491
0
76
This is largely a non-issue but if John McCain can't get this admiral story straight it's well in line with him not getting any stories straight.

 

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
72,154
22,748
136
Quick thing, wouldn't the lack of a functioning brain stem mostly only impair motor function, things like that? I mean if you had a non-functional brain stem you should still be able to type ridiculous partisan crap through a Stephen Hawking style thing as I'm going to assume hackery is more located in the frontal lobe.
 

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
9,529
0
0
I'm voting for Obama, but I could really care less about this stuff...it reeks of 'switfboat' tactics to me.
 

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
13,650
199
101
I find this attempt at swiftboating rather comical, because in the end I think McCain has plenty of weaknesses, but these sad attempts at smearing his service record will help him......
 

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
26,907
173
106
I feel like I just wasted a bunch of time reading that article.

I think everybody knows he got preferencial treatment because of his father & grandfather.

I think most know he was at the bottom of his class at the academy. And we all know about his numerous plane crashes.

I don't think raising this is necessarily unfair. I don't think asking that his military records be released is necessarily unfair. If you wanna run as a *war hero* pony up the proof. I said the same about Hillary's claim of White House experience - "let's see the records or I'm calling shens".

I do expect to see *hit pieces* about McCain's military service - and this ain't one IMO. I mean stuff far far worse than this fluff. There are even Repubs who hate the guy's guts. There are a lot of nasty rumours around about him cooperating with his captors, and about his actions regarding missing POWs.

Fern
 
Nov 30, 2006
15,456
389
121
Originally posted by: kage69
Apparently close to nothing, as I would expect from someone who thinks 1.) The Swiftboat debacle was based in fact and not a fiasco to be ashamed of, 2.) a matter of semantics, or 3.) that I'm trying to smear McCain.
1.) I never said that I believed the "Swiftboat debacle" was based in fact...you're vastly superior brain stem is starting to imagine things...better get that checked out.
2.) Wikipedia defines Swiftboating as follows:
Swiftboating
"Swiftboating is American political jargon that is used as a strong pejorative description of some kind of attack that the speaker considers unfair or untrue?for example, an ad hominem attack or a smear campaign."

Dude...the OP linked an article full of speculation and innuendo intended to SMEAR McCain regarding his military experiences. Your definition of 'swiftboating' appears to include additional requirements to 'truly' be considered swiftboating (e.g., the opposition "distributing band-aids and flip-flops" and "Anyone who didn't serve with him being presented as serving with him with the real story on what happened during his tour of duty"). Wikipedia doesn't narrowly define the word as you do. You apparently think the term is only applicable to the 2004 Kerry swiftboarding debacle. It is a generic term to describe a smear campaign...which is exactly what's going on with the McCain witch hunt. The difference between what you believe the word 'swiftboating' to mean compared to the Wikipedia definition is a matter of semantics...it's obvious that you play with semantics (meaning of words) to fit your narrow worldview.

3.) My apologies if you indeed are not "trying to smear McCain". It's obvious that you're bitter about what happened in 2004...I guess I'm surprised that you aren't equally concerned with what's happening now assuming you find the swiftboating of anyone an unacceptable practice.
Edit: Damn quotes
 

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
11,521
0
76
YAJHTUMT... *Yet Another Jpeyton Hates the US Military Thread*

nothing to see here kids.. move along...
 
Aug 23, 2000
15,511
1
81
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Just as I was against attacking (swiftboating) Kerry in '04, I'm against people trying to smear someone who served their country simply for political reasons. Don't like the guy? Fine. Don't like his politics? Fine. Stop trying to smear his military service though, the fact is that he served, and was honorably discharged etc. There are plenty of things not to like about McCain, trying to smear his military past is only going to get the dems in trouble in '08.
Well they can try to smear his military service because Ole Obama doesn't have one.
I'd rather vote for a guy to be Commander -in - Chief of the armed forces that has actually served in the military.
Let's not forget that McCain spent 5 1/2 years as a POW. You can probably find a way to make that a negative thing on him, in stating that he was a Communist sympathizer or some other outlandish spin on a man that has already put in way more time for this country than his rival.
 

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
27,158
6
81
Hey, you liberals know that attacking John McCain's military record is a loser for the democratic party...right?



*EDIT*

LOL a Huffington Post link....
 

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
11,521
0
76
I think it would be a huuuuuge mistake for the Dems to try this attack vector with McCain. Drawing attention to his honorable service is probably the last thing you want to do...

Then again, jpeyton's none too bright. To him, this is just another chance to virtually spit/shit on a US soldier... He lives for that.
 

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
16,937
3,083
126
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Just as I was against attacking (swiftboating) Kerry in '04, I'm against people trying to smear someone who served their country simply for political reasons. Don't like the guy? Fine. Don't like his politics? Fine. Stop trying to smear his military service though, the fact is that he served, and was honorably discharged etc. There are plenty of things not to like about McCain, trying to smear his military past is only going to get the dems in trouble in '08.
Well they can try to smear his military service because Ole Obama doesn't have one.
I'd rather vote for a guy to be Commander -in - Chief of the armed forces that has actually served in the military.
Let's not forget that McCain spent 5 1/2 years as a POW. You can probably find a way to make that a negative thing on him, in stating that he was a Communist sympathizer or some other outlandish spin on a man that has already put in way more time for this country than his rival.
Republicans didn't have a problem smearing McCain back in 2000...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY