McCain vs. Obama

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I figured that I would start a thread dedicated to their comments and campaigning against each other. I would like to see it stay as first person related as possible with third party or proxy attacks going in their own thread.

First shots fired:

McCain says that Hamas is rooting for Obama and have practically endorsed him.

"I think it's very clear who Hamas wants to be the next president of the United States," McCain, the putative Republican presidential nominee, said in a conference call on Friday with conservative bloggers.

"I think that the people should understand that I will be Hamas's worst nightmare," he said in response to a question from Jennifer Rubin of Commentary magazine.

Campaign spokesman Brian Rogers said Hamas support "is a legitimate issue for the American people to think about."

If Hamas is rooting for Obama then Osama and his merry Al Qaeda men will definitely be rooting for McCain.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
I wonder if it would be big news if McCain had been confused about the number of US states like Obama has been twice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws&eurl

http://www.powerlineblog.com/a...es2/2008/05/020481.php

Nah! It probably wouldn't even make the news if McCain or Bush had said anything like that... twice...

/taps sarcasm meter

You realize that that was obviously an intentional joke about how much he'd traveled in the past months, right?

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I figured that I would start a thread dedicated to their comments and campaigning against each other. I would like to see it stay as first person related as possible with third party or proxy attacks going in their own thread.

First shots fired:

McCain says that Hamas is rooting for Obama and have practically endorsed him.

"I think it's very clear who the entire freaking world wants to be the next president of the United States," McCain, the putative Republican presidential nominee, said in a conference call on Friday with conservative bloggers.

"I think that the people should understand that I will continue GWB's bully cowboy foreign policy," he said in response to a question from Jennifer Rubin of Commentary magazine.

Campaign spokesman Brian Rogers said Hamas support "is a non-issue because the rest of the world doesn't want to see GWB2 either."

Fixed

(finally)

whoops, one of Obama's Middle East advisers is fired for having multiple meeting with Hamas

One of Barack Obama?s Middle East policy advisers disclosed yesterday that he had held meetings with the militant Palestinian group Hamas ? prompting the likely Democratic nominee to sever all links with him.

Obama's not having great luck with advisers - from Goolsbee to Rice to Samantha Power to this guy. Doesn't say much for his judgment in selecting people to surround himself with.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
"You realize that that was obviously an intentional joke about how much he'd traveled in the past months, right?"

Yeah, that's why he was also confused about it before...

He meant 47, of course. He made an error.

An error that McCain, Bush, or Clinton would get slaughtered for.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: sportage
People wonder and ask if Obama was "really" swayed by Reverend Wright? or as Obama says, just another church go-er there for church.
But the answer and truth might be there in a some way.
Reverend Wright?s personal beliefs might explain why Mrs. Obama said she was ?for the first time proud in America". A comment many took as questionable.
Or Obama's choice to not wear the "flag pin".
Those were small nit picky issues, but might explain why the Obama's do what they do and say what they say. Maybe Reverend Wright did have influence?

Really doesn?t add up to anything, except in trying to get an idea how Obama thinks and where he's coming from. And his ability to be up front with the voters.

As to McCain, I don't buy this "he's another Bush" argument. Or that McCain would be another Bush admin.
McCain was once loved by democrats, remember 2000? And McCain has many times sided with liberal democrats when it was for the good of the people, in his view. McCain is not afraid to be his own man. Not like Bush who is head strong no matter right or wrong.

I actually think McCain just might be able to actually bring the war to a close. I don?t think McCain is the type to ignore something that is not working. McCain knows war, unlike Bush/Cheney. I think McCain would want to close down the war more than anything, and go after those really responsible for the 9/11 attacks.
I doubt McCain would screw around with a war that is going no where. And he would demand people under him to produce, or else...
Not like Bush who gives praise to the jerks he appoints, and refuses to see failure.

McCain "could" just be one of the best presidents we ever had. Especially in working with liberal democrats for a common goal. McCain is not afraid or so head strong that he can not take the right actions regardless of left or right, red or blue.
I think McCain has had enough of that retarded Bush thinking.

The only problem I see with McCain is age. He has, after all, had cancer. And who he selects as his VP would be much more important than who Obama or Hillary picks.

So I could see McCain winning, especially if its against Obama. American's still have real issues with race, thats a fact.
I will support Obama and vote Obama, but McCain would not be another Bush admin.
I think republican's will have more of an issue with McCain than democrats will have.

your perception doesn't really fit todays reality. Sure McCain had everyone thinking he was a GOP maverick back in 2000. Today I don't think that is the case. Consider for one, he solicits the hardcore Christian right for support whereas before he would badmouth that group of people any chance he had.

just one example of McCain falling to the pressures of the GOP...and looking more like GWB in the process.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
I think that McCain can gain a lot from opening up his life story a bit more. His service in Vietnam, the whole torture and POW experience, adoption of a Bangladeshi child, etc. Those are things that would appeal to some people. I think that Obama has a privileged upbringing compared to McCain even though I prefer some of Obama's life factors (his education).

It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Are you on crack? :confused:

He grew up in Hawaii and attended some of the finest schools in the country.

:laugh:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
"You realize that that was obviously an intentional joke about how much he'd traveled in the past months, right?"

Yeah, that's why he was also confused about it before...

He meant 47, of course. He made an error.

An error that McCain, Bush, or Clinton would get slaughtered for.

Okay, wow... you're an idiot.

BTW, have you ever actually seen any of Bush's many unintentional fax paus? My personal fav was when he welcomed Queen Elizabeth II to the White House, commenting that she hadn't visited since 1776.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
If all this business about Rev Wright came out before the primaries had started would Obama be where he is today, no way. A lot of those caucus states are going to switch once people go into a voting booth, voting for Obama just looked fashionable for the time.

Please oh Sky Fairy man send us a third option, so that we do not have to pick between two turds. Or if possible perhaps you could have a tornado take Obama away and a lightning bold hit McCain, and why your at it have one hit Bush to Cheney too :).

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We will see how clean the campaign will be as 08 progresses toward November. The 527 groups on both sides may tend to sling much of the mud, but if Obama and McCain denounce the ads runs on their behalf, there may be some hope for a clean campaign.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
We will see how clean the campaign will be as 08 progresses toward November. The 527 groups on both sides may tend to sling much of the mud, but if Obama and McCain denounce the ads runs on their behalf, there may be some hope for a clean campaign.

i am hopeful for that outcome. however, running a clean campaign will always be in obama's favor no matter who he runs against. imho, mccain's handlers realize this and have strategized accordingly. just as in hillary's situation where she found herself behind in the race and continuously falling behind, i believe mccain also realizes that given the current situation where due to gwb's utter failure at the helm, the repubs are badly disadvantaged this election cylce and he is going to be taking over where hillary left off: behind and losing ground, only in his case he's entering this race as tail end charlie from the get-go.

with that in mind, desperation will again be the modus operandi and mccain will be forced to employ the same dirty tactics that hillary used as attacking obama on the high ground is playing to obama's strengths.

either way, there's that perception hanging in the air that the obama juggernaut appears unstoppable at the moment, and that momentum will carry him to the oval office.

this leaves mccain with few favorable cards to play, forcing him to call out the swiftboat surrogate crew early on and often.