McCain the "Great Conservative"

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
McCain more conservative than his independent label portrays

Mr. Conservative

"John McCain hasn?t betrayed conservatism; his party has."

And on and on and on.

This "McCain is the fountainhead of conservatism" mythology is gaining steam and is really amusing. It also shows how worthless the term is, as well as the liberal-conservative that has so blinded American political discourse.

First, McCain wasn't conservative enough, wasn't a real conservative, according to people like Limbaugh, many other Romney supports, many fundamentalist Christians, et cetera. Now that he's the nominee, he's been branded as the true savior of conservatism. The Reagan deification process is already beginning and he's not even dead.

Some relevant topics:

The Liberal-Conservative Dichotomy is illusion
The myth of Republican fiscal conservatism

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The American people will vote as they want. They will vote out of sickness or they will vote out of health. The media will dance with their feelings. It is very hard to awaken.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The American people will vote as they want. They will vote out of sickness or they will vote out of health. The media will dance with their feelings. It is very hard to awaken.
I didn't order Chinese take-out.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
There's nothing conservative about spending 100 years in Iraq. There was nothing conservative about going there in the first place, and he can't even admit it was a mistake.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: superstition

I didn't ask to be Confucius. ;)

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
HAHA, McCain a conservative. I guess when you're as liberal as the mainstream media is you'd think McCain really is a conservative...;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
republicans are kidding themselves if they think November is going to be anything other than a 50-state Obamacrat victory.

Hope is awakening in the hearts of Americans and even those small-town hicks in PA are learning to stop being afraid of Change and "people not like themselves."

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
McCain more conservative than his independent label portrays

Mr. Conservative

"John McCain hasn?t betrayed conservatism; his party has."

And on and on and on.

This "McCain is the fountainhead of conservatism" mythology is gaining steam and is really amusing. It also shows how worthless the term is, as well as the liberal-conservative that has so blinded American political discourse.

First, McCain wasn't conservative enough, wasn't a real conservative, according to people like Limbaugh, many other Romney supports, many fundamentalist Christians, et cetera. Now that he's the nominee, he's been branded as the true savior of conservatism. The Reagan deification process is already beginning and he's not even dead.

Some relevant topics:

The Liberal-Conservative Dichotomy is illusion
The myth of Republican fiscal conservatism

Your point might have merit if the authors of these pieces were well-known conservatives (Krauthamer, Brooks etc).

I don't recognize either of them. As far as I'm concerned this "McCain is a real & staunch Conservative!" stuff might just be an effort to discourage independants from voting for him by lefty authors who, of course, see him as very conservative from their perspective.

Fern

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
There's nothing conservative about spending 100 years in Iraq. There was nothing conservative about going there in the first place, and he can't even admit it was a mistake.

Everything about McCain screams Neocon, not conservative. His nomination in the wake of GWB only continues to prove conservatives no longer have a political party.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So is "neocon" the term for "conservative I don't agree with"?

Pro government conservative. Big on security. The authoritarian anti-thesis to our constitution and our liberty. Yes, I find I don?t agree with that model of conservative.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So what you are saying when all of the crybaby Billary supporters vote Obama this fall politics is a "team" sport? Color me surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

LOL!!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Uphill battle for Mr McCain. The repugs really have their work cut out for them with this one. Has anybody else noticed that his response to questions is always cute little jokes? I mean, ALWAYS. I don't think he is capable of anything but little jokes. He's likeable but quite useless.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: loki8481
republicans are kidding themselves if they think November is going to be anything other than a 50-state Obamacrat victory.

Hope is awakening in the hearts of Americans and even those small-town hicks in PA are learning to stop being afraid of Change and "people not like themselves."

A 50 state victory?

Hmm. I think I'd like to make a bet with you.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Atreus21
So is "neocon" the term for "conservative I don't agree with"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism

Neo-conservatism is not new, and not conservative.

Nor is modern liberalism modern or liberal.

I agree with that, too. :D

We need to form a new party to counter balance the merging of the government interests that have tainted both R and D.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
BWAHAHA

the right couldn't STAAND McCain barely 8 months ago

what a joke.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: JD50
HAHA, McCain a conservative. I guess when you're as liberal as the mainstream media is you'd think McCain really is a conservative...;)

I thought Ron Paul was the true conservative in the Republican lineup.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Dari
I thought Ron Paul was the true conservative in the Republican lineup.
The Republican hierarchy considered RP the crazy uncle you only tolerate because he has the same last name, and shuffle off out-of-sight at the first opportunity (Constitutional governance! Whoever heard such a thing!). Mike Huckabee/Mitt Romney/Fred Thompson/Mitt Romney/Mike Huckabee (in that approximate order) was the true Conservative savior.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: OrByte
BWAHAHA

what a joke.

Who says the "right" likes him now?

Some unknown authors give their opinion that McCain is more conservative than the right thinks and that means what exactly?

Get back to us when Rush & Hannity et al start calling him the "next Reagan".

Fern

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: OrByte
BWAHAHA

what a joke.

Who says the "right" likes him now?

Some unknown authors give their opinion that McCain is more conservative than the right thinks and that means what exactly?

Get back to us when Rush & Hannity et al start calling him the "next Reagan".

Fern
OH..ok...

so the "right" doesn't like their candidate then... :eek: