Mayor of San Juan: "Help us, we're dying!" Trump: "Such poor leadership"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Doesn't matter.

His fans love this. Been on YouTube lately? All you see are "Don't send them money Trump." or, "PR isn't even a US state. F××× them."

Many of Trumps loyal fans are downright racist.
Ridiculous. They are US citizens for God's sake.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Pretty sure you can't really call a natural disaster a genocide. If inaction amounts to genocide, then wouldn't Clinton have been responsible for Rwanda?

https://www.google.ch/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2004/mar/31/usa.rwanda

Or was that ok because it's not a territory?

"Close to genocide." Not actual genocide. Still hyperbolic, but an important distinction.

And leave it to one of the resident Trump worshippers to try to spin this into an attack on Clinton. Trump's response is completely uncalled for, and you can never question this.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I know, it was horrible, every Republican in Congress was scrambling to send food, military and financial aid to all the Americans trapped in Rwanda but Crooked Hillary stepped up and said “No!!!”

Reminds me of the time Hillary persuaded Bill to ignore Bosnia, because she felt it would interfere with her health care proposal, or serve as a distraction.

Taking the advice of Al Gore and National Security Advisor Tony Lake, Bill agreed to a proposal to bomb Serbian military positions while helping the Muslims acquire weapons to defend themselves—the fulfillment of a pledge he had made during the 1992 campaign. But instead of pushing European leaders, he directed Secretary of State Warren Christopher merely to consult with them. When they balked at the plan, Bill quickly retreated, creating a "perception of drift." The key factor in Bill's policy reversal was Hillary, who was said to have "deep misgivings" and viewed the situation as "a Vietnam that would compromise health-care reform." The United States took no further action in Bosnia, and the "ethnic cleansing" by the Serbs was to continue for four more years, resulting in the deaths of more than 250,000 people.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2008/03/the_tall_tale_of_tuzla.html

But they aren't even Americans, as you point out, so who cares, right?

Feb 16, 2005
Reminds me of the time Hillary persuaded Bill to ignore Bosnia, because she felt it would interfere with her health care proposal, or serve as a distraction.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2008/03/the_tall_tale_of_tuzla.html

FULLY ENGAGED HERR DRUMPF!
20104615457_SF1978_1x02_Deflectorshield.gif

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
And leave it to one of the resident Trump worshippers to try to spin this into an attack on Clinton.

Curious comment to level at someone who's only ever voted democrat. I'm pretty much the only liberal posting on P&N! Don't know what the hell you guys are, but it's certainly not liberal. That's why I have to borrow the regressive moniker for ya'll, to distinguish between us. Sad.

Feb 4, 2009

How exactly does it remind you of PR, Trump is acting like Hillary or something else? Please be exact as possible otherwise it's just more of this

tenor.gif

*my new favorite gif*

Reactions: Thebobo

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
republicans dont care about people who arent white. They see this place as a foreign territory who shouldnt get aid.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

I’m so glad America has learned from her previous mistakes and we have a new "America first!" policy--America will be first to respond everywhere!

Have we armed the Rohingyas yet??

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The entire territory will be without power for several months, and there's no clean drinking water. A region that was already struggling financially has just been gutted. Saying it's "close to genocide" may be hyperbolic, but it's not entirely without merit -- this is disaster on an unprecedented scale for an American territory.

May have been hyperbolic? Surely it was hyperbolic. She was probably dead tired and stressed to the max - not that I’d expect Trump to notice. I think people at the federal level are getting freaked over the unprecedented funding it’s going to take to restore Puerto Rico to pre-hurricane levels. I’m guessing the private insurance rates are low on the island. Is there even a preliminary bill in the works on an aid package?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Curious comment to level at someone who's only ever voted democrat. I'm pretty much the only liberal posting on P&N! Don't know what the hell you guys are, but it's certainly not liberal. That's why I have to borrow the regressive moniker for ya'll, to distinguish between us. Sad.

Uh huh. Sounds like you just don't have an excuse.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I wonder if there’s a difference between intervening in a civil war and helping victims of a natural disaster. I also wonder if advice from a non-president several decades ago about an entirely different issue is relevant to Trump’s failure here.

Wait, I’m not the stupidest person alive. I don’t wonder about any of those things.

Your posts are normally pretty dumb and transparent but this is sad even for you.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

You are what passes for a liberal? No wonder people think liberals are douches.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Uh huh. Sounds like you just don't have an excuse.
For being a liberal? Why would I need an excuse? What's your excuse for being regressive, I wonder... If you guys weren't so irritating and stupid then maybe Trump wouldn't have won. So much of it was a reaction to (or result of) political correctness and the left's open alliance with fascism/Islam. Maybe some liberals in swing states would have shown up to vote instead of giving up. Well, definitely if they ran a candidate better than Trump, which Hillary simply wasn't. Doesn't make me a trump supporter. #Trump 2020.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
For being a liberal? Why would I need an excuse? What's your excuse for being regressive, I wonder... If you guys weren't so irritating and stupid then maybe Trump wouldn't have won. So much of it was a reaction to (or result of) political correctness and the left's open alliance with fascism/Islam. Maybe some liberals in swing states would have shown up to vote instead of giving up. Well, definitely if they ran a candidate better than Trump, which Hillary simply wasn't. Doesn't make me a trump supporter. #Trump 2020.

That's a pretty piss-poor attempt at diversion. Do you consider Trump's attacks on San Juan's mayor and Puerto Ricans to be acceptable, yes or no?

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
That's a pretty piss-poor attempt at diversion. Do you consider Trump's attacks on San Juan's mayor and Puerto Ricans to be acceptable, yes or no?
If you insist on using such babyish language, then no, but that's a strange question. Something like this matters not at all (I mean, except maybe to puerto ricans), since obviously it's "unacceptable," in your childish sense, to any thinking person that he's in a position to have made those statements in the first place. And obviously him doing what he was elected to do would be "acceptable" to the people who voted for him. He's president and will probably win again. Is that unacceptable? What does that mean? Whatever happens happens, has to be accepted, whether or not it's acceptable (what?). It's politics. We aren't his parents. What's your point with this acceptableness line?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If you insist on using such babyish language, then no, but that's a strange question. Something like this matters not at all (I mean, except maybe to puerto ricans), since obviously it's "unacceptable," in your childish sense, to any thinking person that he's in a position to have made those statements in the first place. And obviously him doing what he was elected to do would be "acceptable" to the people who voted for him. He's president and will probably win again. Is that unacceptable? What does that mean? Whatever happens happens, has to be accepted, whether or not it's acceptable (what?). It's politics. We aren't his parents. What's your point with this acceptableness line?

You arent a liberal. You pop up from time to time with a libertarian bent. I dont blame you for not voting republican though. That just means your smart.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

Wtf... From what I can tell. You put equated a on going shit storm in a foreign country with non Americans with a natural disaster with Americans on American soil...

Seriously. When you look at the sky do you see unicorns?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well, although the Puerto Ricans cannot vote for pres. in the general if they're in Puerto Rico, they can certainly vote in the primaries. I wonder if Trump knows this. He may pooh pooh Puerto Rico's small population in comparison with other states, and he may think that Puerto Rico would vote Democrat as many Repubs on the Hill feel they would if they attained statehood, but Trump isn't doing himself any favors by engaging in a war of words and tweets between himself and the Puerto Ricans who are at this very moment in very dire straits where emotions are running at its highest.

Trump has now set himself up as a primary focal point for the Puerto Ricans to lay all of their fear, anger and woes on.

In a tight race where Trump can get primaried out of contention, he should know better but I guess his shallow ass ego won't let him disengage from his self-destructive behavior as we've witnessed time and again.

He's already skating on ice that's about as thin as his tolerance for criticism and one would think he'd realize that he needs more than his base to score a win come 2020 given how his administration is heavily under siege at this very moment, largely due to Trump's own behavior and the horrific job the Repubs in the legislature are doing.

To think that we must all suffer for another ~3 1/2 years under his and his fellow Repub's watch in DC is at the moment too painful to even think about.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Wtf... From what I can tell. You put equated a on going shit storm in a foreign country with non Americans with a natural disaster with Americans on American soil...
What?

d06a1ca136fc6f8ec538f71369fd4d226422dd45d0fbc8f525d21e368a82c3e2.jpg

I've already acknowledged that it's different, and that many Americans apparently only care about other Americans (but apparently also not enough to let brown islander Americans participate politically).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You're right. He should have had a book tour and done numerous interviews about why he couldn't help Puerto Rico and how it wasn't his fault. Take a cue from your pal Hillary and the election :innocent:. Childish rants are seemingly a part of politics nowadays for everyone. Both parties are a joke.
Put style to the side for a moment, you are comparing a mayor pleading for her dying people vs a guy lashing out from his golf course??

Really??

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

It's not just politics, and it damn well matters more than you're claiming. There are about 3.5 million American citizens going without clean water, without electricity, without large chunks of the infrastructure that you take for granted... and even when they get the basics back, their economy will still be in tatters. That the President is turning this massive human tragedy into an "omg fake news Democrats #MAGA" moment by attacking San Juan's mayor and the Puerto Ricans themselves isn't just "politics," it's despicable -- it's an embarrassment to the entire country. Do you want that in a leader?

My point is simple: you've been trying everything in your power to avoid condemning Trump. It's funny to watch, actually. The more and more you're confronted with the inescapable truth, that you must denounce Trump and admit he's not fit to lead, the harder you fight back. Diversion, distraction, anything but saying "no President should ever behave this way." I'm glad you've finally said it was unacceptable, but why was it so incredibly hard for you to acknowledge this reality?