Mayor of Chicago says she will only give interviews to "people of color" ON THE 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF HER INAUGURATION ONLY

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019
Well since it’s so clear I’m sure you won’t mind explaining how.

The first amendment gives Americans the right to petition their government for grievances and has been incorporated by SCOTUS so it applies to state and local governments. Now there are practical limits on how people can petition their governments, so they can restrict it to only qualified members of the press for press briefings and the like, but government officials cant just ban an entire race of otherwise qualified people.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hehe, we have come full circle where racism is now A-Okay.

I'm sure this is precisely what MLK wanted things to be like.
i am sure that when you mention the MLK name that Martin luther King is rolling in his grave...carry on puppet

Last edited:
Reactions: cytg111

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The first amendment gives Americans the right to petition their government for grievances and has been incorporated by SCOTUS so it applies to state and local governments. Now there are practical limits on how people can petition their governments, so they can restrict it to only qualified members of the press for press briefings and the like, but government officials cant just ban an entire race of otherwise qualified people.
Not at all. The right to petition the government for redress does not mean that the government has to grant news interviews. If the mayor wanted to she could never speak to any member of the press again.

While the idea that the mayor can’t discriminate in interviews based on race would seem to have more merit banning her from doing that would potentially violate the first amendment rights of the mayor.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
While the idea that the mayor can’t discriminate in interviews based on race would seem to have more merit banning her from doing that would potentially violate the first amendment rights of the mayor.
I disagree. The Mayor, acting in her official capacity, does not have a right to discriminate based on race.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Alternatively, instead of the world coming full circle on racism you went round the bend on sanity. I hope you realize that it is of the nature of the psychologically abused that they carry through life with a serious set of sore toes which they are impelled to stick out in the aisle so they get stepped on as others pass by simple so they can howl about how much pain they are in without ever becoming conscious of where that pain cane from, thus preventing any chance at all of confronting the real source and healing. Personally, I wish you didn’t suffer, but it was suffering a lot that actually helped me. So I hope this helps you to go deeper and not cast about in the world of today for the source of what actually happened long ago.

Everything you fear, all you fear and may not know you fear happened long ago and non of it destroyed your true self. It just buried it under a ton of lies.

Nov 8, 2012
Alternatively, instead of the world coming full circle on racism you went round the bend on sanity. I hope you realize that it is of the nature of the psychologically abused that they carry through life with a serious set of sore toes which they are impelled to stick out in the aisle so they get stepped on as others pass by simple so they can howl about how much pain they are in without ever becoming conscious of where that pain cane from, thus preventing any chance at all of confronting the real source and healing. Personally, I wish you didn’t suffer, but it was suffering a lot that actually helped me. So I hope this helps you to go deeper and not cast about in the world of today for the source of what actually happened long ago.

Everything you fear, all you fear and may not know you fear happened long ago and non of it destroyed your true self. It just buried it under a ton of lies.

I know it's hard for an inept individual like you to perceive this - but judging based on the color of one's skin isn't based on the color of one's skin. You too can be judging someone based on the color of their skin regardless of if their color is what you perceive to be an "oppressed group" or not.

But hey - what do I know about that? I'm just someone that is married to a brown girl while you perceive your white privilege from a pedestal while avoiding those evil brown people.

Carry on with your racism though ;)

• Haha

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Racism is narrowly defined as the belief one race is superior to the other(s).

Here, the mayor believes that her own race is NOT superior, but is underrepresented because of the racism of other races in journalism, and is offering a leg up based on OPRESSION, not the belief in superiority.

I know it's hard for white supremacist's like yourself to understand that giving the oppressed help is not racism,. but... I don't think you have the intellect to understand the basic fucking logic.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Not at all. The right to petition the government for redress does not mean that the government has to grant news interviews. If the mayor wanted to she could never speak to any member of the press again.

I would present the dilemma as follows: All people are equal. Racism is a delusion. Nothing is needed to fix racism but that realization. Anybody who hates others based on any criterion will cease to be a bigot on awakening to the actual truth. All those who suffer damage as the result of bigotry will be freed of all pain the moment they know there is nothing really wrong with them, at the deepest level this can be known.

Then we have the world of delusion we actually live in full of bigots and injured people, a world of half measures and subjective efforts to address the damage we carry from our past, a word of sleeping bigots who hate others because they hate themselves, the world of the aggrieved suffering their personal pain, a pain that can’t be healed except by awakening. Thus we stumble along in our sleep, banging our way along from pillar to post. This one is mine.

Feb 4, 2009
Since OP shit posted and ran, I declare this thread is now about chicken & waffles.
I never have had chicken & waffles, sounds strange and good. What is the idea do you eat the waffle and the chicken together as in put a small amount of waffle on your fork then take a small amount of chicken on your folk and dab that into some syrup or do you do something else?
Sounds like the type meal that needs a bland kind of syrup or am I wrong and a good maple syrup is the right accoutrement?
Help me out on this guys.

@fskimospy
@Amused
@zinfamous

Reactions: pauldun170

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Since OP shit posted and ran, I declare this thread is now about chicken & waffles.
I never have had chicken & waffles, sounds strange and good. What is the idea do you eat the waffle and the chicken together as in put a small amount of waffle on your fork then take a small amount of chicken on your folk and dab that into some syrup or do you do something else?
Sounds like the type meal that needs a bland kind of syrup or am I wrong and a good maple syrup is the right accoutrement?
Help me out on this guys.

@fskimospy
@Amused
@zinfamous
Chicken and waffles is fantastic, you get the saltiness of the fried chicken along with the sweetness of the syrup. While I can’t speak to the ‘right’ way to eat it I do it basically as you describe, a little of everything and the waffle holds it together.

If you’re ever in Brooklyn Pies n’ Thighs is super tasty and Sweet Chick has a bunch of neat variations on it. It sounds gross but their buffalo chicken and waffles is great.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Chicken and waffles is fantastic, you get the saltiness of the fried chicken along with the sweetness of the syrup. While I can’t speak to the ‘right’ way to eat it I do it basically as you describe, a little of everything and the waffle holds it together.

If you’re ever in Brooklyn Pies n’ Thighs is super tasty and Sweet Chick has a bunch of neat variations on it. It sounds gross but their buffalo chicken and waffles is great.

Can't imagine why that would be gross as the right way to eat chicken and waffles is drenched in roughly equal parts butter, syrup, and Frank's.

Reactions: fskimospy
Feb 4, 2009

But what do you do with the bone in the chicken, let it sit on syrup?
That part seems sort of gross to me. However I don't like bones in the stuff I eat.

ooops I missed @Vic

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019

I never said she had to give interviews. In choosing to give interviews, she opens up them as an avenue for Americans to exercise their right to petition their government. SCOTUS has weighed in on how governments can restrict this right due to the practicality of it. It would be impossible for the mayor of Chicago to grant an interview to every person who wanted one. Race is not an acceptable criteria to restrict rights.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I never said she had to give interviews. In choosing to give interviews, she opens up them as an avenue for Americans to exercise their right to petition their government. SCOTUS has weighed in on how governments can restrict this right due to the practicality of it. It would be impossible for the mayor of Chicago to grant an interview to every person who wanted one. Race is not an acceptable criteria to restrict rights.
1) If you acknowledge she doesn’t have to give interviews to everyone then why is it a violation of their first amendment rights? It’s established that the public has no right to attend public meetings so why would they have a right to attend private ones?

2) Is it established that by giving an interview this is her acting in her official capacity as mayor? What official act is she performing? I could see if she barred white people from a press conference at city hall that would be a violation but sitting down for a private interview seems like a pretty big stretch.

3) Doesn’t the mayor have a first amendment right to speak or not speak to anyone she wishes to, even if it’s for a bigoted reason?

Reactions: JEDIYoda and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
3) Doesn’t the mayor have a first amendment right to speak or not speak to anyone she wishes to, even if it’s for a bigoted reason?
Have you been listening (to conservative propoganda) at all? It's only racist because she isn't white, silly.

I don't know why these obvious realities always have to be told to you libruhls.

/s

Let the fucktards freak out over ONE day being reserved for reporters of color to obtain interviews. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be the straw that makes their heads pop. I can dream.

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019
1) If you acknowledge she doesn’t have to give interviews to everyone then why is it a violation of their first amendment rights? It’s established that the public has no right to attend public meetings so why would they have a right to attend private ones?

Because it would be impractical for everyone to be allowed to attend a public meeting. SCOTUS has establish guidelines on how and when you can restrict First Amendment rights based on practicality.

2) Is it established that by giving an interview this is her acting in her official capacity as mayor? What official act is she performing? I could see if she barred white people from a press conference at city hall that would be a violation but sitting down for a private interview seems like a pretty big stretch.

They are interviewing her on the anniversary of her inauguration as mayor.

No.

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because it would be impractical for everyone to be allowed to attend a public meeting. SCOTUS has establish guidelines on how and when you can restrict First Amendment rights based on practicality.

So? If people have no right to attend public meetings why would they have a right to attend private meetings, as accommodating everyone would be even less practical?

They are interviewing her on the anniversary of her inauguration as mayor.
So? What official function is she performing in this interview, specifically?

Can you expand on this? Are you saying that elected officials can be compelled to speak with people they don’t wish to? Do you have examples of this?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

What happened to diversity and inclusion? Isn't "white" a color? This is just wrong on so many levels. During a time of attacks on Jews and Asians, do we really need a mayor of one of the largest cities in America taking this kind of stance against people of a certain color?

Your thread title was intentionally incomplete and therefore intentionally and factually misleading. I fixed it for you.

Perknose
Forum Director

White is all colors combined.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It never ceases to amaze how triggered the right-wing nutjobs get at the prospect of being treated the way they treat everyone else. One would think that would be their sign, but it never is..

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
As someone else said

"I'm going to quote the post that should have ended the thread and what should have led to OP updating the thread title "

Mayor says she's limiting interviews to benefit minorities on one day in her entire career, a move which will hurt precisely no-one and is designed to draw attention to diversity issues in society, and two race apologists here want to chant racism.

Jesus guys, get a freaking life. At least try to practice what you preach.

And here is some1, jubelei and and whatnot having a meltdown.

Reactions: Meghan54

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It never ceases to amaze how triggered the right-wing nutjobs get at the prospect of being treated the way they treat everyone else. One would think that would be their sign, but it never is..

Many of them are stuck with a Get or get Gotten view of reality. This is why they are obsessed with Alpha Males and Cucks, everyone is part of a Hierarchy wherein the Lessers acquiesce to the Superiors.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Mayor says she's limiting interviews to benefit minorities on one day in her entire career, a move which will hurt precisely no-one and is designed to draw attention to diversity issues in society, and two race apologists here want to chant racism.

Jesus guys, get a freaking life. At least try to practice what you preach.
You have to remember that white people have been oppressed their entire lives. Anything to benefit anyone but themselves is racist.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019
So? If people have no right to attend public meetings why would they have a right to attend private meetings, as accommodating everyone would be even less practical?

There are quite liberal guidelines that public officials need to follow when restricting rights based on practicality.

So? What official function is she performing in this interview, specifically?

Receiving petitions from the governed.

Can you expand on this? Are you saying that elected officials can be compelled to speak with people they don’t wish to? Do you have examples of this?

They usually find a loophole by prioritizing other things.

• Haha