Mayor of Chicago says she will only give interviews to "people of color" ON THE 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF HER INAUGURATION ONLY

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
The obvious response is for the media to simply say ok, and never report another word she says or show up at a press conference.
Work within the system, don't fight it.
Or, here's a thought. Maybe media companies should send a person of color reporter. If they can't find a single person of color reporter among their staff.. well, then...

Reactions: Pohemi and cytg111

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Where was all this outrage when the president of the united states would only do tv interviews with fox news? How about when he would only answer questions he wanted while insulting reporters and calling them fake news during official press conferences? I guess it's ok when a white man does what the fuck he wants but when it's a woman and/or minority you all lose your fucking minds.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Hey, I think I found your "Waldo". I see one Black person all the way back on the far left.
Damn you are right. Hey you know... about 200 people, 1 black guy ~ 0.5% ... IF you
1. Adjust for % blacks in the US... AND
2. use some1 logic
3. felix math
4. jubilei insight
That representation totally checks out!

Reminds me of Shapiro and Peterson, equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome, and how equality of opportunity is reached long ago... following that logic that means that inherently black people just dont like politics and power.

Reactions: Pohemi

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Where was all this outrage when the president of the united states would only do tv interviews with fox news? How about when he would only answer questions he wanted while insulting reporters and calling them fake news during official press conferences? I guess it's ok when a white man does what the fuck he wants but when it's a woman and/or minority you all lose your fucking minds.

Well DUH! Seriously, how else can conservatives act? As if they actually give one flying fuck about facts or truth or competent governance…they are essentially a pack of freeloaders and racist charlatans and thieves.

That’s about all you can say nicely about a group that sees its own speech being utterly and fully protected from any consequences while attempting to silence opposing viewpoints.

Reactions: Linux23 and Pohemi

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
He should be happy! Weren’t all the rioters Antifa plants? Won’t this lead to convictions?
07capitol-victim-superJumbo.jpg

Ashli Babbitt: Antifa Commander

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Or, here's a thought. Maybe media companies should send a person of color reporter. If they can't find a single person of color reporter among their staff.. well, then...
That works as well. Personally I don't care who she will or won't talk to. If the voters decide they don't like it they'll swap her out soon enough.
For the official record, I absolutely won't be voting against her.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Hey, I think I found your "Waldo". I see one Black person all the way back on the far left.

You beat me to it. I think he's sitting in the back of the room full of whites...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
You beat me to it. I think he's sitting in the back of the room full of whites...
To me it almost appears that gent is frantically looking around for his church sponsored tour group he got separated from and is wondering what in the hell he’s stumbled into.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and dank69

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

What happened to diversity and inclusion? Isn't "white" a color? This is just wrong on so many levels. During a time of attacks on Jews and Asians, do we really need a mayor of one of the largest cities in America taking this kind of stance against people of a certain color?

Your thread title was intentionally incomplete and therefore intentionally and factually misleading. I fixed it for you.

Perknose
Forum Director

Apparently not a color..

Atkinson Cotton Warehouse, a cotton gin in Memphis, Tennessee, subjected Black employees to extraordinary racial discrimination, refusing to allow them to drink out of a “whites only” water fountain, calling them racial slurs, and threatening them with hanging — not decades ago, but in 2014.

Employee Untonio Harris used his cell phone to record his white supervisor making threats against African American workers if they attempted to drink from a water fountain designated only for white people.

“Hey!” says the supervisor in the recording.
“What?” asked Harris.
“I need to put a sign here that says ‘white people only’.”
Harris also recorded his attempt to use the microwave.
“I am going to use the microwave,” said Harris in the recording.
“Hell no!” said the supervisor.
“Why can’t I use the microwave, man?”
“Because you are not white.”
“For real?”

“As a white man, we don’t even let Larry use it.” Larry is an African American man who has worked at the cotton warehouse for at least a decade.

In the recording, the supervisor goes on to talk about the days of racial segregation. “Back then, nobody thought anything about it. Now everybody is made to where to think it’s bad,” says the supervisor in the recording.

Thirty seconds later in the same recording:
“Put your sign on the wall then, because I am fixing to drink it,” said Mr. Harris. “What would they do when they catch me drinking your water?”

“That’s when we hang you,” said the supervisor.

• Wow

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019
This is quite clearly in violation of the 1st and 14th amendment. I hope the civil rights division at the Justice department will look into this, but they probably wont since its a Democratic Mayor and a Democratic Administration.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I didn’t like Lori Lightfoot, only because she reminded me of so many other big city “machine” Democrat pols whose only talent is deflecting criticism and clinging to power. But I’ll admit I knew next to nothing about her or her track record. The more I learned about her, the more I’ve come to understand she was exactly what Chicago needed.
She has had an interesting run as mayor. She ran her campaign fully embracing the "outsider" candidate role who promised to be anit-machine, anti-nepotism, pro-transparency, etc. This was her first ever run for elected office. She was running to replace a disgraced Rahm Emanuel who had been working for months to sweep the Laquon MacDonald murder under the rug. She was also running against two lifetime Dem machine politicians in Bill Daley and Toni Preckwinkle.

There was so much excitement in Chicago when she got elected. Voters felt like they were finally going to have a "peoples'" mayor and no more political insider pay-to-play corruption. Unfortunately she seems to have run into a wall. Just because she is in favor of transparency, reform, and accountability doesn't mean any of the City's 50 alderman are, nor are many of the City's departments like schools, police etc. She has basically been in battle with everyone else since she was elected, and the City machine is not happy with her. She's had some pretty bad dust ups with the political machine and usually ends up losing. She has let the public school union walk all over her, same with police. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a one-term mayor.

Nov 8, 2012
She has had an interesting run as mayor. She ran her campaign fully embracing the "outsider" candidate role who promised to be anit-machine, anti-nepotism, pro-transparency, etc. This was her first ever run for elected office. She was running to replace a disgraced Rahm Emanuel who had been working for months to sweep the Laquon MacDonald murder under the rug. She was also running against two lifetime Dem machine politicians in Bill Daley and Toni Preckwinkle.

There was so much excitement in Chicago when she got elected. Voters felt like they were finally going to have a "peoples'" mayor and no more political insider pay-to-play corruption. Unfortunately she seems to have run into a wall. Just because she is in favor of transparency, reform, and accountability doesn't mean any of the City's 50 alderman are, nor are many of the City's departments like schools, police etc. She has basically been in battle with everyone else since she was elected, and the City machine is not happy with her. She's had some pretty bad dust ups with the political machine and usually ends up losing. She has let the public school union walk all over her, same with police. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a one-term mayor.

Right. Yes. Of course. It was the system bringing her down, maaaaaaaan'.

It had nothing to do with a complete fucking moron in a high office position that can command every part of the system. Responsibility from the top? Nawwww it's even higher than that man!

lol you guys crack me up. This woman is a complete fucking idiot of epic proportions.

What an amazing track record.

Shutting down the lakefront. Cutting off citywide liquor sales. Driving around the city to personally break up large gatherings, inspiring a hilarious string of memes that softened her hard edges.

Her self-declared war on poverty made infinitely more difficult in black and Hispanic neighborhoods that have borne the brunt of the layoffs and deaths

Since then, Lightfoot has been faced with so many controversies that she jokingly has compared herself to the central character in the bible’s Book of Job.

She erased what she said was an $838 million shortfall — without a massive property tax increase — by balancing her $11.6 billion budget with assumptions and one-time revenues.

During the budget battle, Lightfoot angrily accused ride-hailing giant Uber of “paying off” black ministers with an offer of $54 million to kill her $40 million congestion fee. The unsubstantiated charge offended the ministers, a powerful political force.

After the council vote, the mayor again showed how intolerant she is to dissent. She used her political action committee to shame the 11 aldermen who dared to vote against a budget they said “woefully underfunds” affordable housing and mental health.

Lightfoot also endured an 11-day teachers strike that ended, only after she lost the public relations battle to a machine-like Chicago Teachers Union and essentially gave away the store to the union that backed her vanquished opponent Toni Preckwinkle, the Cook County Board president.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is quite clearly in violation of the 1st and 14th amendment. I hope the civil rights division at the Justice department will look into this, but they probably wont since its a Democratic Mayor and a Democratic Administration.
Well since it’s so clear I’m sure you won’t mind explaining how.

• Love
Reactions: feralkid

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Right. Yes. Of course. It was the system bringing her down, maaaaaaaan'.

It had nothing to do with a complete fucking moron in a high office position that can command every part of the system. Responsibility from the top? Nawwww it's even higher than that man!

lol you guys crack me up. This woman is a complete fucking idiot of epic proportions.

What an amazing track record.
If she's so bad why not go with the white Republican solution and just rewrite history. I'm perfectly comfortable with her being how you labeled her a "complete fucking moron". Now if it's one you white guys then we have a problem.

Nov 8, 2012
If she's so bad why not go with the white Republican solution and just rewrite history. I'm perfectly comfortable with her being how you labeled her a "complete fucking moron". Now if it's one you white guys then we have a problem.

we all know the answer for low intelligent individuals like yourself:

Just put in someone of power with a different gender and different skin color - and everything else is good to go. No corruption. Everything is fixed simply by getting out Cis-gendered white males out of office.

Why actually hold people to account for themselves, when you can just put in someone with a different skin color and give them a pass on everything?

Things are definitely not getting worse. Tons of people are flocking to Chicago - and especially the inner-parts. Right.... Right? you believe me, right?

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
Hey dumbshit. If the president said he wouldn't do interviews with blacks you'd be on his ass. As you guys were for 4 plus years while he was president. And when it happens in reverse. Oh you're supporting the person. Hypocrite.

Nov 8, 2012
Hey dumbshit. If the president said he wouldn't do interviews with blacks you'd be on his ass. As you guys were for 4 plus years while he was president. And when it happens in reverse. Oh you're supporting the person. Hypocrite.

Right, but when its with "Those people" its "good" but when its for the other people its bad.

We should obviously set a distinction between things - perhaps a "black fountain" and a "white fountain" so we don't have any cross- contamination and to ensure the purity of the black fountain.