Maybe we should have a general Meatball Ron (desantis) thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The best thing about not going on Reddit anymore is that I completely forgot this asshole existed.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

Federal Judge Gregory Presnell has placed a preliminary injunction on a Florida bill called the "Protection of Children Act" which bans individuals under the age of 18 from attending drag performances. Judge Presnell used a law called the "Parental Bill of Rights" law, which DeSantis signed into law in 2021. Bet DeSantis didn't see that one coming.

The Parental Rights in Education bill text can be accessed here:

Download the PDF in the Bill Text link.

It is interesting that the "Parental Bill of Rights" protects a parents right to how their kids are educated. The specific text is in the first paragraph and reads "requiring such procedures to 6 reinforce the fundamental right of parents to make decisions regarding the upbringing and control of their children in a specified manner." This seems like it can be used to ban the bible in classrooms. There's some other text about a parent being able to sue the school. I say this is interesting because an enterprising parent can sue the school district for including the bible in the school. That, my friends, is indoctrining my child into a different religion. And it most definitely affects the well being and education of a student who does not believe in the bible.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
by the way, "Parent's Rights" movements go back as far as the Scopes trial in TN, popularly, and I think even a bit further back than that. It's the same movement, that has never once deviated from the real purpose of Christian and nationalistic indoctrination into all children.

Every complaint has only ever been about challenges to the notion of the Christian God according to these illiterate zealots, and the people that organize these movements trace their funding and their interest in a singular line through all of these movements. It's certainly not about their children, it's about forcing all children into becoming proper Christian soldiers for the US state. If it ever was about their children, these movements would never exist. They can always run along to their closets and saddle their own children with a lifetime of uncompetitive ignorance, but no. They must attack the public school system. ...oh, it's also because they are cheapskate losers that don't want any real responsibility for their own children. The state must handle their responsibilities for them, but only when done the proper way.

It's not at all a new term, and they've been using this same euphemism for generations. It's anti-democratic, grossly anti-constitutional, and that is the purpose.

These are ghouls, all of these people, and they are not conducive to a free society, anywhere in this world.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Ron DiShonest flaunts campaign finance rules / laws again.

That’s because the helicopter DeSantis posed in front of is property of the Texas Department of Public Safety, according to Federal Aviation Administration records. And experts say his use of Texas government resources for his own political purposes appears to constitute a campaign finance violation.

FzkUo7eWIBIuZhx

I'm waiting for a Ron Rambo cardboard cutout to come out soon.

H38081Trumbo%20500x500-500x500.webp

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Got to get rid of all that bad woke stuff and agencies that I don't like.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that if he is elected president he would seek to close four federal agencies as part of an effort to reduce the size of government.

"We would do Education, we would do Commerce, we'd do Energy, and we would do IRS," DeSantis said in an interview with Fox News’ Martha MacCallum when he was asked whether he favored closing any agencies.

"If Congress will work with me on doing that, we'll be able to reduce the size and scope of government," he added. "If Congress won't go that far, I'm going to use those agencies to push back against woke ideology and against the leftism that we see creeping into all institutions of American life."

DeSantis’ campaign didn't immediately respond to a request for further details about his remarks.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Ron DiShonest flaunts campaign finance rules / laws again.

FzkUo7eWIBIuZhx

I'm waiting for a Ron Rambo cardboard cutout to come out soon.

H38081Trumbo%20500x500-500x500.webp
Should have just used AI to generate his photo op :p

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Got to get rid of all that bad woke stuff and agencies that I don't like.

Look at who might benefit from those depts going away.

Education - rich people using private schools. And really, who needs education anyway when you have Jesus.

Commerce - can't have oversight over the rich and their business, and no this isn't a global economy.

Energy - Fossil fuel companies, nuff said

IRS - the rich will pay less taxes!

I'm all for government reform and better efficiency. Doing away with giant govt depts--without some evidence of what would replace them other than "NO WOKE"--is about as childish as Bernie's zealots saying do away with wall street. At least the Bernie people have the right villain, even if they have no real clue about how to fix anything.

This is just pandering to the simple-minded, aka the GOP base that he's trying to wrest away from Trump. Next up, "we'll balance the US budget just like you balance your household budget".

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Hey let's make the whole state radioactive. I bet there will be glowing reviews of Florida roadways!
Wow, someone had to have just recently added this to the wiki site. on phosphogysum.

EPA approved the use of phosphogypsum for road construction during the Trump Administration in 2020, saying that the approval came at the request of The Fertilizer Institute, which advocates for the fertilizer industry.[8] Environmentalists opposed the decision, saying that using the radioactive material in this way can pose health risks.[9] In 2021, the EPA withdrew the rule authorizing the use of phosphogypsum in road construction.[10]

The state of Florida has approximately 80% of the world's phosphogypsum production capacity. In May 2023, the Florida legislature passed a bill requiring the Florida Department of Transportation to study the use of phosphogypsum in road construction, including demonstration projects, though this would require federal approval.[11] The law, which requires the department to complete a study and make a recommendation by April 1, 2024, was signed into law by Governor Ron DeSantis on June 29, 2023

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Hey let's make the whole state radioactive. I bet there will be glowing reviews of Florida roadways!

Will it make the roads glow in the dark? Could save on street lighting!

It's not clear to me from this - does the "red orange glow" in response to UV, only occur as long as the UV is present, or will it continue to glow after the UV is no longer present (i.e. after sunset)?

Maybe use it as building material for the governor's mansion? Would highlight the importance of the building if it glowed all through the night.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
  • Haha

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
WTF is it with these idiots and the Department of Energy? Do they not have any idea what they actually do?

Unlike @Fenixgoon, I do not think it is a lack of intelligence about what the DoE does. It is a willful rejection by GOP party leaders of what the DoE does.

So broadly speaking, the DoE provides guidance and regulations on how to advance the energy infrastructure of the entire US. You just need to look at Texas to see what the GOP wants.

They want each state with a separately operated energy grid, rather than an integrated energy grid that can assist each other in times of need. Cause screw the federal government, or your neighboring states. They think that individually operated power grids somehow means more state rights, or more personal freedom somehow. Even if it means screwing over your own constituents in times of need, such as what Texas recently experienced, multiple times. The very thing a national grid is meant to help prevent.

No more crap about advancing green energies. Even though renewable forms of energy are becoming more and more economical, with less environmental impact. Cause screw renewables. Fossil fuels 4 life.

And screw the environment. No real reason, except the GOP has convinced their constituents it is not real, and also to own da libs.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Unlike @Fenixgoon, I do not think it is a lack of intelligence about what the DoE does. It is a willful rejection by GOP party leaders of what the DoE does.

So broadly speaking, the DoE provides guidance and regulations on how to advance the energy infrastructure of the entire US. You just need to look at Texas to see what the GOP wants.

They want each state with a separately operated energy grid, rather than an integrated energy grid that can assist each other in times of need. Cause screw the federal government, or your neighboring states. They think that individually operated power grids somehow means more state rights, or more personal freedom somehow. Even if it means screwing over your own constituents in times of need, such as what Texas recently experienced, multiple times. The very thing a national grid is meant to help prevent.

No more crap about advancing green energies. Even though renewable forms of energy are becoming more and more economical, with less environmental impact. Cause screw renewables. Fossil fuels 4 life.

And screw the environment. No real reason, except the GOP has convinced their constituents it is not real, and also to own da libs.
The DOE also controls and maintains nuclear weapons.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Of course not. That would require them to 1) be intelligent 2) not stoke culture wars
You're making the mistake conflating Desantis with Trump, a true idiot. Desantis is doing and saying anything to get him elected. You don't get to go to Yale and Harvard if you're an idiot and don't come from a rich family nor a legacy family. you don't work in law in the navy. His dad installed cable boxes or whatever they were and his mother was a nurse. had they used condoms desantis would have been prevented.

Desantis in the early days of covid did what liberal lawmakers were doing and only turned once that was deemed uncool. this man is no natural born leader. he's a follower and he'll follow other leaders like a dog sniffing another dog's ass hole.

Reactions: Zorba

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You're making the mistake conflating Desantis with Trump, a true idiot. Desantis is doing and saying anything to get him elected. You don't get to go to Yale and Harvard if you're an idiot and don't come from a rich family nor a legacy family. you don't work in law in the navy. His dad installed cable boxes or whatever they were and his mother was a nurse. had they used condoms desantis would have been prevented.

Desantis in the early days of covid did what liberal lawmakers were doing and only turned once that was deemed uncool. this man is no natural born leader. he's a follower and he'll follow other leaders like a dog sniffing another dog's ass hole.
DeSantis is baby Trump but a little smarter and savvier. However he is just as evil.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
DeSantis is baby Trump but a little smarter and savvier. However he is just as evil.
I would argue DeSantis is the more evil of the two. Trump is pretty much a moron looking to feed his ego we have ample evidence to prove that. DeSantis on the other hand takes the positions he does purely to gain power, he is much more calculating than Trump in that regard.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I would argue DeSantis is the more evil of the two. Trump is pretty much a moron looking to feed his ego we have ample evidence to prove that. DeSantis on the other hand takes the positions he does purely to gain power, he is much more calculating than Trump in that regard.

Yeah, it's a mildly-interesting philosophical tangent - though not of much political significance. I still maintain Trump is in good part a prisoner/victim of his own massive psychological dysfunctions, and thus harder to hold morally responsible, while DeSantis is more straight-forwardly morally-reprehensible.

But that's a never-ending debate in general - where one draws a line between mental illness and moral culpability. On a practical level though, Trump being psychologically messed-up ultimately makes him less politically-effective.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
based on what desantis is like i bet he was bullied because kids thought he was gay. Probably a victim of smear the queer on a daily basis.

Definitely. The small dick energy is strong with that one.