Maybe hot deal: AMD Radeon R7 450 (OEM) 4GB GDDR5 GPU $59.99 @ Newegg (Computer Headquarters) (Maybe 7770 with only 512shaders and 4GB VRAM)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not a hot deal: $219.00 from HP:

Maybe a hot deal: $59.99 *REFURB* from a Newegg Marketplace seller (Computer Headquarters):

Also on ebay:

How bad can a card with DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI be, with 4GB of GDDR5? Seems modern.

Anyone know the specs on this card, like number of CUs or shaders or cores? CNet has specs, but it says "DDR3" for memory, so who knows what other of their specs is wrong.

TPU has some specs, but all three variants of their cards, show "no outputs", like this was some sort of early compute card, and doesn't have display outputs. Which HAS to be wrong, the HP page and specs clearly call out an HDMI, DVI (with DVI-to-VGA adapter in box), and DisplayPort, and "Support for 4 displays".

So I'm not really sure what to make of this card. Sort of an enigma. I ordered a few to play with, hopefully the picture on Newegg is accurate, and they DO have display outputs.

I figure that they can't be much worse than an RX 550 4GB GDDR5. Indeed, TPU's specs refer to a 7770 Cape Verde Islands die, but with 512 shaders instead of the full 640 shaders. So, basically similar to an RX 550, I guess (although that is 14nm Polaris).

Edit: Now I'm thinking that driver support MAY be IFFY on these cards, if they are OEM-only, and not naturally-supported as GCN-variant cards by AMD's normal driver distribution packages. Hopefully, Win10 will be able to pull in a working driver for these cards off of the internet somehow, even if that's true.

Not sure how these are for gaming, will have to maybe see if one can run the Heaven 4.0 benchmark. I'll see how it stacks up to a GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (19.x FPS in "Extreme") and a GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 card (53.x FPS in "Extreme").

UserBenchmark does have some entries, some with different PCI IDs, hence three different listing groups all called "R7 450".
Only scores 9% or so, but if you look at the FPS, it's nearly always above 30FPS on the benchmarks. I'll give mine a go on Heaven, and see how it stacks up to a GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 and a GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 card.

Edit: Here's a listing at walmart.com, with some more specs (sold out, $99.99):

Edit: Seems that these cards came out around 2016-2017?

Here's a gameplay video with one of these cards, and an i5-7400 (Kaby Lake quad-core) on YT:

Doesn't seem so bad, really.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I actually tried to cancel my order for a few of these. Going to wait a bit. Deal might be gone by then, but oh well. I didn't really have the money spare anyways.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Vendors ebay store is full of curious stuff, same place I bought my RX 460 from last year. Seems like the branded, HP/Dell etc AMD video cards can be a bit weird. Price was right for me at the time, and no issues with the card for me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you're feeling adventurous, as I was this morning, peruse ebay for "i5-6500 tower", and the top listing, from "l4techs", has them with 8GB of DDR4 and a 1TB HDD for $169 shipped free from Cali. HP 400 G3 micro-Tower or something like that. If you do an image search for it, you can see the insides. The pics I saw, showed 4 DIMM slots, but only two soldered on (in the YT unboxing vid). 3x SATA ports on mobo, HDD and DVD provided, so you can add a SATA SSD. (Much like the layout of the "HP Power Gaming PC from Walmart", there is an additional HDD/SSD bay empty, and presumably a spare SATA power cable available, though I could not verify that from the video.) I think, on the MT and not the SFF versions, that the PSU is ATX and can be swapped.

I *think* that's one of the factory models of PCs that are mentioned in the HP specs page on the HP page for the card in the OP. So you would be re-creating a factory somewhat-gaming-PC build. I'm curious (if my order for these cards doesn't get cancelled, for some reason) how they perform, in an i5-6500 rig, which honestly, isn't much different than the i5-7400 mentioned in the YT gameplay vid for the card in the OP.

Potentially, combining the two, that's a gaming-worthy PC, for $170 + $60, or $230. Of course, you'll probably want to add a 240/250GB-class SSD, for another $30-40, and possibly swap out the RAM for a 16GB kit (3000 speed is dropping to $55 for cheap brand names).

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Gaming PC is a term rapidly losing its meaning, other than "has some 3D hardware" vs a "work" PC. Its more like what game do you want to play, what video card does it need?