Maybe a President Giuliani is exactly what the U.S. needs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Having read his book on Leadership I would have no problem with him as President.

Knowing that he takes the time to personally ruin those who annoy him using the power of his office would have me voting for Hillary before him.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Knowing that he takes the time to personally ruin those who annoy him using the power of his office would have me voting for Hillary before him.

I suggest you read up on the Clintons. The politics of personal destruction were invented by them. Cross a Clinton, and "destroy" could be literal, not figurative.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Having read his book on Leadership I would have no problem with him as President.

And having read your posts here, we are not surprised.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

It is a good book... people who oppose him ought to give it a read.

All I know is Rudy was a great mayor and a great leader. In any crisis he faced -a fire, a main break, a blackout, Flight 800- he throws on the clothes of an emergency worker, tours the scene, gather the heads of his agencies, designs a plan of action, and makes public appearances informing the city what's going on in detail. And he did it within a couple hours of the incident.

Most lame attacks he incurred for his "grandiosity" and building a "bunker" were weaksauce partisan jabs from people who disliked him personally, and most of even his opponents eventually rallied to him for his good work. The plan he devised after September 11 was brilliant. And his crisis-management was just a piece of his overall method of governance. The bottom line is, he was elected in 1993 to bring order to a city on the verge of civil collapse (and he hasn't just done it through great stewardship of the NYPD). He did it make making it clear to all that what seemed as an ungovernable city was in fact governable in all ways-- by the sheer will and leadership he brought to the job.

I may or may not think he'd make a good president or even that great as a person, but I will always acknowledge and respect what he did as a mayor.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster

I suggest you read up on the Clintons. The politics of personal destruction were invented by them. Cross a Clinton, and "destroy" could be literal, not figurative.

I knew about the Clintons before they came on the national spotlight. I probably know more dirt about them than you. Rudy is still worse.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I knew about the Clintons before they came on the national spotlight. I probably know more dirt about them than you. Rudy is still worse.

As did I, which means you might want to go back to the late 1970's and do some research. The Clintons were every bit as dangerous in Arkansas as they are in Washington.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

As did I, which means you might want to go back to the late 1970's and do some research. The Clintons were every bit as dangerous in Arkansas as they are in Washington.

No no, I know a lot more than you and everything you just said is wrong.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

And I maintain that if you did the same research on Rudy you would find how he doesn't ruin for advancement so much as for the pleasure of the torment. Did he really need to persecute a taxi cab driver because he reported that officers were changing lights to red in order to hand out tickets? No. He just was annoyed and made him a hobby.

No thanks.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cwjerome

All I know is Rudy was a great mayor and a great leader. In any crisis he faced -a fire, a main break, a blackout, Flight 800- he throws on the clothes of an emergency worker, tours the scene, gather the heads of his agencies, designs a plan of action, and makes public appearances informing the city what's going on in detail. And he did it within a couple hours of the incident.

Most lame attacks he incurred for his "grandiosity" and building a "bunker" were weaksauce partisan jabs from people who disliked him personally, and most of even his opponents eventually rallied to him for his good work. The plan he devised after September 11 was brilliant. And his crisis-management was just a piece of his overall method of governance. The bottom line is, he was elected in 1993 to bring order to a city on the verge of civil collapse (and he hasn't just done it through great stewardship of the NYPD). He did it make making it clear to all that what seemed as an ungovernable city was in fact governable in all ways-- by the sheer will and leadership he brought to the job.

I may or may not think he'd make a good president or even that great as a person, but I will always acknowledge and respect what he did as a mayor.

Well there's the problem. He's not running for mayor, he's running for President. And instead of a Rudy who acts like he read his own book, we get a Rudy who seems to be obsessed with being a pale imitation of GWB, with less religion but more national security fanaticism. I agree that Rudy did some good things as mayor of NYC, the problem is that the Rudy who was mayor doesn't seem to be the Rudy who's running.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: cwjerome

Well there's the problem. He's not running for mayor, he's running for President. And instead of a Rudy who acts like he read his own book, we get a Rudy who seems to be obsessed with being a pale imitation of GWB, with less religion but more national security fanaticism. I agree that Rudy did some good things as mayor of NYC, the problem is that the Rudy who was mayor doesn't seem to be the Rudy who's running.

We've had our bellies full of male egomaniacs. It's time for a woman anyway.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This conversation might interest me more if Giuliani's policies weren't so crazy. Either he's incompetant and so you don't want him in office, or even worse... what if he actually IS good at implementing his policies? Does anyone really want a person as crazy as he is foreign policy wise to be effective?

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus
Does America need a leader who can get things done? Is Rudy Giuliani that guy?

Bush is getting things done...but it's his own agenda. He has destroyed the United States in every way, shape and form. Looks like he did a good job of it too.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Now here is a sexist absurdity from Moonbeam---------We've had our bellies full of male egomaniacs. It's time for a woman anyway.

How about a normal person for a refreshing change? Someone who is not an egomaniac. But lately, the only people who run for President are egomaniacs. Male or female, its not a dimes worth of difference. At least we don't yet compare cock size to tit size. But that is where we are heading.

Right now America is deeply divided and we need someone who can bring us together. Some of the candidates are in government and others hold no posts. But we see all the current rascals promising the moon and the sky with none, through sheer force of intellect, able to bring us together. They are too busy campaigning to bother with silly things like demonstrating leadership on the pressing issue of the day.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

I think it's the exact same guy... and I tend to think a lot of people, like you, just buy the "consensus" from the Left to form an assessment.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
When I read the title I thought "He must mean that by electing someone that's sure to continue Bush's policies, Americans will get burned so badly they'll stop electing such retards for a while". But I guess you meant it literally. Wow.

I'm being serious here, but if there was ever a Bush vs Guiliani election, I'd vote for Bush. Guiliani has all of Bush's bad traits (loyalty over competence, a cult of personality, an authoritarian streak, contempt for openness and accountability, rabidly pro-war views etc)
Here's some reading:
http://www.rollingstone.com/po...uliani_worse_than_bush

And an introduction to his foreign policy advisers - people too insane to make it into the Bush admin.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/056028.php

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Wow. Consider what you just said. How about reading a book about Guiliani that HE didn't write about himself.
Let me explain since obviously you need some education. When someone writes a book about how great they themselves are, you must consider the source.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: techs

Wow. Consider what you just said. How about reading a book about Guiliani that HE didn't write about himself.
Let me explain since obviously you need some education. When someone writes a book about how great they themselves are, you must consider the source.

I think you missed the idea, sparky.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Now here is a sexist absurdity from Moonbeam---------We've had our bellies full of male egomaniacs. It's time for a woman anyway.

How about a normal person for a refreshing change? Someone who is not an egomaniac. But lately, the only people who run for President are egomaniacs. Male or female, its not a dimes worth of difference. At least we don't yet compare cock size to tit size. But that is where we are heading.

Right now America is deeply divided and we need someone who can bring us together. Some of the candidates are in government and others hold no posts. But we see all the current rascals promising the moon and the sky with none, through sheer force of intellect, able to bring us together. They are too busy campaigning to bother with silly things like demonstrating leadership on the pressing issue of the day.

You mean somebody who has the maturity not toact like a child and call people sexist and absurd?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
And I maintain that if you did the same research on Rudy you would find how he doesn't ruin for advancement so much as for the pleasure of the torment. Did he really need to persecute a taxi cab driver because he reported that officers were changing lights to red in order to hand out tickets? No. He just was annoyed and made him a hobby.

No thanks.

Is that all you've got on Rudy? Man, that's weak :laugh:

"But, but, he persecuted a taxi cab driver!"

:roll:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

No thanks.

Is that all you've got on Rudy? Man, that's weak :laugh:

"But, but, he persecuted a taxi cab driver!"

:roll:

No, that's not all there is about Rudy. This isn't a pissing match. If you want a President that's petty and vindictive, go vote for him. I gave an example of what a prick he is. You want to bitch about Hillary? Fine. You want to defend POS behavior by rolling your eyes? Be my guest.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
No, that's not all there is about Rudy. This isn't a pissing match. If you want a President that's petty and vindictive, go vote for him. I gave an example of what a prick he is. You want to bitch about Hillary? Fine. You want to defend POS behavior by rolling your eyes? Be my guest.

No, I'm just calling you on your BS. As usual.

Anyone who's been around here more than a day or two knows I'm not Giuliani's biggest fan. In fact, I've said numerous times that a Giuliani-Clinton race will be disastrous for this country, because it would be like choosing from bad, or worse.

I haven't defended Giuliani a bit. I've said many times that he'll have a lot of tough questions to answer - just like Hillary - when the time comes.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Bush was exactly what this country needed. We were on our way to being a world superpower and dominant force of the planet. Imagine if Bush had come to power in say 2050 when he could have taken over the world. It is a blessing in disguise, doubtlessly, that he sent us packing into the realm of the banana republic, hated and mistrusted by the rest of the world. And he's helping us to get to our feelings of being a worthless piece of shit.

Yep, because we were so beloved by "the rest of the world" prior to 43. I often wonder what sort of bubble one has to live in to believe such utter bullshit. :roll:

You actually were, we were looking up to the US before you went completely nuts and attacked Iraq without any reason, using lies and misconceptions to get your way and when that failed to convince the world community that is not as gullible as the US congress apparently is.

I think this is actually the case for most of the worlds countries.

You were once a force to be reckoned with, now you are just meh, nobody really cares anymore.

President Bush speaks and we all know what he's going to say before he says it, terrists, nukular and Iran and other assorted bullshit. He's good for a laugh but unfortunately there are people that take the clown seriously.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
You actually were, we were looking up to the US before you went completely nuts and attacked Iraq without any reason, using lies and misconceptions to get your way and when that failed to convince the world community that is not as gullible as the US congress apparently is.

You mean that "world community" that had their hands in the cookie jar? :roll:

(You know, the ones with the back-room oil deals, weapons exchanges, et al.?)

Jun 26, 2007

No, I'm just calling you on your BS. As usual.

Anyone who's been around here more than a day or two knows I'm not Giuliani's biggest fan. In fact, I've said numerous times that a Giuliani-Clinton race will be disastrous for this country, because it would be like choosing from bad, or worse.

I haven't defended Giuliani a bit. I've said many times that he'll have a lot of tough questions to answer - just like Hillary - when the time comes.

Sure you're not Giulianis biggest fan, you're the biggest fan of Bush, i bet if he stated that the country is in an emergency and postponed the elections 10 years you'd be defending him over it.

I don't know much about Giuliani but if what Hayabusa Rider says is true, then he's not really fit to run for president or even mayor, i'd take Hayas judgement over yours any day of the week since you are apparently completely insane.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Sure you're not Giulianis biggest fan, you're the biggest fan of Bush, i bet if he stated that the country is in an emergency and postponed the elections 10 years you'd be defending him over it.

Sure thing. :roll:

I don't know much about Giuliani but if what Hayabusa Rider says is true, then he's not really fit to run for president or even mayor, i'd take Hayas judgement over yours any day of the week since you are apparently completely insane.

Here's an idea...don't comment until you do know something about what (or who) you are commenting on. What a novel idea!