May 4, 1970 ~ a major turning point in US history

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Do they even teach about what happened at Kent State on May 4, 1970 in schools today?

It was the final day, the true end of innocence, after JFK, MLK, RFK...the day America turned on its own.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126423778

KentState.jpg

life.jpg

Cheeseplug

Dec 16, 2008
As a current student at Kent State, I would like to point out that the shootings were the best thing that ever happened for the university. Everybody knows the name "Kent State" thanks to what happened.

Last edited:

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
As a current student at Kent State, I would like to point out that the shootings were the best thing that ever happened for the university. Everybody knows the name "Kent State" thanks to what happened.
The best thing? I see Kent State is accepting idiots now. How charming.

Kent State has a blood stain that will never wash off.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Grew up 25 minutes from it, know people who were there, know someone who knew one of those killed... yea...

Danube

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Do they even teach about what happened at Kent State on May 4, 1970 in schools today?

I'm betting it gets over-taught. Only in a tremendously successful country could one relatively minor gov shooting became so overplayed. A truly poignant photo and moment in isolation. In the sweep of the human drama on earth it's a blur (unless the lib media gets it).

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
According to my dad (actually alive at the time), everyone shot got what they deserved, they should not have been taunting the National Guard.

*facepalm*

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
American soldier's firing on American students on American soil. Totally not a big deal at all.

I find it amazing that in this hyper partisan, politicized time with everyone and their dog screaming about how Obama is going to throw republicans in death camps and kill everyone's grandma that this could not be a big deal.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Makes the claims against Obama being a tyrant and taking liberties away seem pretty weak doesn't it.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Unless you were living in those years and old enough to recognize the insanity of the times, you won't believe me when I tell you the entire country was crazy and, I don't mean in a good way.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003

A an alumni, I say you are an idiot for the above comment. It really shows your lack of understanding of what happened.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I'm betting it gets over-taught. Only in a tremendously successful country could one relatively minor gov shooting became so overplayed. A truly poignant photo and moment in isolation. In the sweep of the human drama on earth it's a blur (unless the lib media gets it).

Interesting point. I guess Obama is free to shoot a few Tea Partiers, but just a handful, to show what a civilized and advanced country we are. A true celebration of freedom.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Unless you were living in those years and old enough to recognize the insanity of the times, you won't believe me when I tell you the entire country was crazy and, I don't mean in a good way.

What I have never understood is how it got to the point where deploying the National Guard to confront STUDENT protesters was acceptable. It is one thing to deploy them for more general insurrection and rioting, but college students?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
What I have never understood is how it got to the point where deploying the National Guard to confront STUDENT protesters was acceptable. It is one thing to deploy them for more general insurrection and rioting, but college students?

It was just another symptom of our insane society. Using the word 'insane' is not rhetoric, our country was literally tearing itself apart. The people in power believed they knew what was best for the country in the face of widespread discontent. It was a classic case of conservatives believing that they could force the disruptive forces to at least acquiesce, if not agree with, their policies.

The thing to keep in mind is that the definition of conservative and liberal THEN had nothing to do with their definitions NOW. On behalf of the conservatives, they honestly thought that evil/communist forces were actively seeking to overthrow our country and afraid that they were close to doing it. On behalf of the rest of us, mostly we were clueless about the rest of the world. In today's society, which isn't anywhere near comparable, think of your favorite helicopter soccer mom and now picture that person in charge of your local government, ALL the media and, ALL education. Now, think of everyone younger than 30 as her child. Scary huh?

Danube

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Interesting point. I guess Obama is free to shoot a few Tea Partiers, but just a handful, to show what a civilized and advanced country we are. A true celebration of freedom.

Well its obvious at this point that Obama is playing for the other team. If a few Marxist agitators got shot inciting violence in name of bringing down US (like Van Jones advocated ) it would be no biggie with the people. If people peaceably protesting for their constitutional rights (as the well educated tea partiers do) got shot by Obama (more likely) then that would be a problem.