Max Payne 3 PC to have "gloriously increased resolution and graphical detail"

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Max Payne 3 - Bought yesterday, beat it today. The game was just so engrossing! (along with the story) I'm just glad they didn't get Mark Wahlberg to do the stupid voice of MP.

So much for no consolittis...

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
No, it actually runs great and is well optimized for pc!

That is good to hear. They probably just got tired of all the complaints of their past game's unfairly bad game performance and decided not to half ass the PC versions anymore.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I've played about 30 mins of it so far, 20 mins of video, 10 minutes of gameplay...

It runs great but graphically, its' the opposite of most games. In Max Payne 3 the videos are horrible looking but the game play graphics are great. The Game play itself is pretty easy even on hard.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
It runs great but graphically, its' the opposite of most games. In Max Payne 3 the videos are horrible looking but the game play graphics are great. The Game play itself is pretty easy even on hard.

Dang. I was hoping some of that 30GB included higher-quality pre-rendered cutscenes. Alan Wake is similar that way too; the cutscenes are compressed and look like ass, but the in-game graphics are great.

I broke down and bought Max Payne 3 this morning. Still has a couple of hours to download. I'll try to post some screenshots.

If the singleplayer campaign is any less than 10 hours, I'll be disappointed. Either way I hope I can squeeze some fun out of the multiplayer as well.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
That is good to hear. They probably just got tired of all the complaints of their past game's unfairly bad game performance and decided not to half ass the PC versions anymore.

My laptop settings...
DX 11
1920x1080 fullscreen
Vsync - on
texture quality - very high
shader quality - high (i dont get the option for any higher on this)
shadow quality - very high
reflection quality - very high
water quality - very high
FXAA - high
MSAA - off
Aniso - 16x
ambient occlusion - SSAO
tessellation - normal

These settings play great on my aging laptop.
Intel Q740 (1.73ghz - 2.6ghz turbo boost) / 6gb ram / AMD HD mobility 5870 1gb

Seven

Jan 26, 2000
This game brought nostalgia... Remember playing Max Payne on my AMD Duron. However, I do feel the Rockstar tried hard. It feels like Max Payne game, but the darkness and overall mood isn't the same. I haven't played much though. Can anyone post more input about the game?

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I'm only on chapter 2 , but as others have stated, i've spent more time watching cut-scenes than actually playing.
Do i think the game is good? YES
Do i think it is as good the original Max Payne? NO
I obviously cannot comment fully on the game until i finish it, but so far I feel its "good" but not "great".
If that opinion changes by the time i'm finished, i'll post my opinion on the entire game here then.

EDIT:The Gametrailers review seems to sum up my thoughts so far exactly.
The special effects in the cut-scenes are way over done.

Last edited:

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Dang. I was hoping some of that 30GB included higher-quality pre-rendered cutscenes.
The cutscenes total ~7.5 GB and are 1080p. Of course they don't look as good as real time due to compression, but they're surely better than the 360 version given the space constants of DVD. Not sure if they bothered to make use of the extra space afforded by Blu-ray on the PS3.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
The cutscenes total ~7.5 GB and are 1080p. Of course they don't look as good as real time due to compression, but they're surely better than the 360 version given the space constants of DVD. Not sure if they bothered to make use of the extra space afforded by Blu-ray on the PS3.

It's like they deliberately made them look bad, maybe they thought it was "artsy".

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Been playing for a few minutes. Here's my thoughts so far.

The good:

• Turns out, the edgy, over-done, nitty-gritty presentation of the game is... pretty awesome. I actually really like it.
  • The pre-rendered cutscenes look really good, as opposed to what the guy above me said. If there wasn't a sudden framerate change between the movies and the actual in-game graphics, I'd have a very hard time distinguishing between the two. I actually took a screenshot thinking it was in-engine, then I realized it was an FMV.
  • At it's core, it's a very simple-minded game... essentially a glorified shooting gallery (the most glorified shooting gallery I've ever seen though). So far the environments are really great, they feel alive, there's a lot of great setpieces and intense action sequences.
  • It runs fantastic on my 7870 on Very High at 1080p. I was worried it would be an unoptimized mess like GTA4, but Rockstar proved me wrong.

The bad:

• There are some serious mouse sensitivity issues. The sensitivity knocks itself way down when you go into bullet-time, which feels very jarring and it completely throws me off. Then, during another sequence when I was shooting out of a chopper, the sensitivity suddenly skyrocketed, and my aiming reticule was going all over the place. Depending on what situation you're in, the mouse sensitivity seems to just do whatever it wants. It ruins what would otherwise be a really engaging game for me.
  • Is it a good-looking game? Yes. Is it completely groundbreaking? No. This isn't really a con, but I think some people had the wrong impression when Rockstar released the system requirements for this game. It's no system-killer by any means, but it still looks great.
  • Did I mention the mouse sensitivity issues?

The mouse controls are so bad, in fact, that I think I might just restart the game fresh and play with my 360 pad instead. It goes against my usual control preference with shooters, but considering I won't even be able to enjoy the game while fighting with the mouse control, I think gamepad is the better way to go for now.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Batman Arkham City - Same. Too intimidating. But I don't want to waste $20 bucks, so I'll force myself to beat the stupid game. It just feels like it's too long.

Ssome people are just weird. If a game is short, they cry. If its long they cry. If its just right, they still cry.

FYI I never felt that Batman - Arkham City was a long game. If you are investing money in a game, you want it to be a little long lasting atleast. And AC was worth every penny.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I'm not keen on the mouse action either but it's so easy to kill people in slow motion it hasn't been an issue. And yeah, the in game movies do look just like the game play which is very good. I guess I was put off initially by the opening videos. Glares, reflections, artefacts, varied blurriness and colour depth, for some reason it reminded me of Abrams Start Trek (which I actually liked).
On the bad side: I remember now my one problem with Max Payne franchise, it's more like a graphic novel, a cheesy one at that, then about any game I've played. I don't care about storys in games too much for me it's about gameplay. Even though I've started over again I still can't skip the story line vids, i'm finding it rather tedious considering the gameplay isn't great. I think the slow motion kill em thing was done better in Fear, what 4-5 years ago?
I hope the story picks up, I'm going to try and slog through it but it must be at least 1:1 vids to game play and that doesn't bode well for a 10 hour game.
$60 for 5 hours of sub par shooting.. man I compare that to 1500 hours in Bad Company, a lot of it very exciting.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I'm not keen on the mouse action either but it's so easy to kill people in slow motion it hasn't been an issue. And yeah, the in game movies do look just like the game play which is very good. I guess I was put off initially by the opening videos. Glares, reflections, artefacts, varied blurriness and colour depth, for some reason it reminded me of Abrams Start Trek (which I actually liked).
On the bad side: I remember now my one problem with Max Payne franchise, it's more like a graphic novel, a cheesy one at that, then about any game I've played. I don't care about storys in games too much for me it's about gameplay. Even though I've started over again I still can't skip the story line vids, i'm finding it rather tedious considering the gameplay isn't great. I think the slow motion kill em thing was done better in Fear, what 4-5 years ago?
I hope the story picks up, I'm going to try and slog through it but it must be at least 1:1 vids to game play and that doesn't bode well for a 10 hour game.
$60 for 5 hours of sub par shooting.. man I compare that to 1500 hours in Bad Company, a lot of it very exciting.

It was done pretty well in Max Payne and Max Payne 2 too...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Ssome people are just weird. If a game is short, they cry. If its long they cry. If its just right, they still cry.

FYI I never felt that Batman - Arkham City was a long game. If you are investing money in a game, you want it to be a little long lasting atleast. And AC was worth every penny.

I guess the story wasn't enough for me to keep playing, unlike mp3 I couldn't wait until I finished the game!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
So far I'm really liking the game and I would say I'm about 1/2 through. I really feel sorry for Max Payne, as the game makes us feel sorry for his angst and drunkenness. As far as the cuts cenes go, they take us away from controlling the game, however the whole point of the story is to actually let us know we're not in control as MP always seems to have trouble coming to him.

I'm eagerly awaiting to play some gang wars in Multiplayer.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Looked at some "let's play" video for a couple of minutes, there were at least 10 cutscenes in that duration which yanked you well out of your usual perspective. Highly jarring.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
So far I'm really liking the game and I would say I'm about 1/2 through. I really feel sorry for Max Payne, as the game makes us feel sorry for his angst and drunkenness. As far as the cuts cenes go, they take us away from controlling the game, however the whole point of the story is to actually let us know we're not in control as MP always seems to have trouble coming to him.

I'm eagerly awaiting to play some gang wars in Multiplayer.

Sounds like the first two games...didn't you play them?

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
that's right first 2 cut scenes were narrated by comic-style pages that lets you control how fast you can read through them.