Max Payne 3 Next big graphics powerhouse ?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
A CPU will not make the game get more frames per second period and all the OCing on the AMD CPUs will do is alleviate the bottle neck and put it back onto the GPU where you want it to be. You will not see much more if any frame rates if you are OCing the Intel 2600K because it is already feeding the GPU to the max. The 8150 should catch up to the stock clocked 2600K in this game when it is OCed to around 4.5Ghz or more.

Your baseless guesswork is interesting and irrelevant. Moving the bottleneck to a different part if your system doesn't make a shitty processor good. You can polish that turd all you want, it's still a turd.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Your baseless guesswork is interesting and irrelevant. Moving the bottleneck to a different part if your system doesn't make a shitty processor good. You can polish that turd all you want, it's still a turd.

He is correct in this case, and I don't think he is trying to say BD is "better" than i5/i7. OCing the BD up to a certain point to be GPU limited will mean you will get the same fps as other CPUs.

Overall BD is not as good as i5/i7 obviously, but when GPU limited you would get the same fps regardless of CPU.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
The 8150 is solid in between an i5 2500K and i7 2600K and that's plenty fast even if it needs an OCing.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
He is correct in this case, and I don't think he is trying to say BD is "better" than i5/i7. OCing the BD up to a certain point to be GPU limited will mean you will get the same fps as other CPUs.

Overall BD is not as good as i5/i7 obviously, but when GPU limited you would get the same fps regardless of CPU.
Once again we have noobs trying to claim that a CPU is what renders frames in game LOL I guess I should just sell my GTX 560 in that case and get "Intel" core i series in my rig so I can play games LOL.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
After the patch upgrade

at 25x14 Max, no MSAA, max FXAA I average 100-120 FPS and it rarely goes below 80-100 FPS or so :)

This is with a single oced 7970.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Gordon a good game should be GPU bottlenecked not CPU.So yes unless its a strategy or some sort of odd exception an oced BD can play most of the games on par with i5/i7.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Gordon a good game should be GPU bottlenecked not CPU.So yes unless its a strategy or some sort of odd exception an oced BD can play most of the games on par with i5/i7.
Yes most games are not GTA IV LOL so I should keep my GPU then I suppose ROFLMAO !

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Just noticed. I had enabled SSAO instead of HDAO.

With the same settings and FXAA disabled but HDAO enabled, I now average around 70s to 90s with min above 60s.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Just noticed. I had enabled SSAO instead of HDAO.

With the same settings and FXAA disabled but HDAO enabled, I now average around 70s to 90s with min above 60s.
FXAA is a low end option for running AA so it's a poor mans AA if you will and personally I rather run with FXAA off and no AA

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
I don't think the framerate is being reported accurately. It shows me getting about 200 FPS with 1 680 but there is a lot of mouse lag with 2xMSAA. When I reenable SLI it still shows about 200 FPS but the mouse lag is gone. I think R* doesn't know how to code a PC game.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Once again we have noobs trying to claim that a CPU is what renders frames in game LOL I guess I should just sell my GTX 560 in that case and get "Intel" core i series in my rig so I can play games LOL.

I'm well aware of what renders graphics smart guy. Let me explain it again in simpler terms so you can grasp this concept. When BD can't outperform it's predecessor while having a clock speed and a core count advantage, it's a failure in my opinion. Is that simple enough for you not to confuse it with rendering, bottlenecks and overclocking?

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
I'm well aware of what renders graphics smart guy. Let me explain it again in simpler terms so you can grasp this concept. When BD can't outperform it's predecessor while having a clock speed and a core count advantage, it's a failure in my opinion. Is that simple enough for you not to confuse it with rendering, bottlenecks and overclocking?
Note none of the Phenom II CPUs on that chart smack around the 8150 in fact it took the fastest "for gaming" Phenom II CPU you can get in the form of Phenom II x4 980 @ 3.7Ghz which is clocked higher stock for stock as compared to 8150. Even the the BD had a higher average framerate all @ stock clocks than the PII x4 980 and all bets are off for the PII x4 980 when the 8150 crushes it OC for OC. I dont see your logic in smashing on a CPU that is faster than what you claim.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
And what happens when you stop pretending the graph showing an X6 1100T @ 3.3GHz out performing an 8150 at 3.6GHz doesn't exist?

Im claiming BD sucks. Go ahead and keep trying to tell yourself a CPU doesnt suck even though it cant keep up despite having 2 more cores and a 300MHz advantage. You aren't going to convince anyone who isn't already a fan.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
FXAA is a low end option for running AA so it's a poor mans AA if you will and personally I rather run with FXAA off and no AA

Msaa was broken in this game and when you enabled it whether or not you also had fxaa enabled it did not remove jaggies. Fxaa alone was e only working AA method. Has this been fixed in a later patch? I finished the game and uninstalled to reclaim space lol.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Msaa was broken in this game and when you enabled it whether or not you also had fxaa enabled it did not remove jaggies. Fxaa alone was e only working AA method. Has this been fixed in a later patch? I finished the game and uninstalled to reclaim space lol.
I mostly always run the AA/AF from the control panel because I am still used to the old days of when I was running AMD Radeon and Ati cards. But I agree Nvidia cards dont seem to do much in some games in the way of AA/AF it's a shame really but in some games they do it up superb Skyrim comes to mind 8x (supersample) please.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well no i mean the game did not recognise when you enabled msaa and the control panel could not force it. AMD cards exhibit this too. It is limited to this game specifically. I dunno what is wrong...maybe driver, maybe game code.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Well no i mean the game did not recognise when you enabled msaa and the control panel could not force it. AMD cards exhibit this too. It is limited to this game specifically. I dunno what is wrong...maybe driver, maybe game code.
I would just not mess around with these fancy things like MSAA, SSAO, HDAO, FXAA ect and stick with what looks the most sexy 8x (Sexysample) in NV control panel.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Again the control panel doesn't work. You cannot force aa in this game...i tried every setting. Fxaa is currently the only aa method that shows an iq difference at all. Unless its been fixed...

Also the ssao and hdao settings aply in the game's options itself.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Again the control panel doesn't work. You cannot force aa in this game...i tried every setting. Fxaa is currently the only aa method that shows an iq difference at all. Unless its been fixed...

Also the ssao and hdao settings aply in the game's options itself.
Me thinks the AMD cards are a different story.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Post patch, currently in Chapter 3.

These are the highest settings I have tried so far:
25x14
All MAX
no MSAA
MAX AF
MAX FXAA
HDAO (SSAO is less intensive and gives higher frames)

FXAA doesn't even at max doesn't affect the FPS of the game, still 100-120 average either way.

Currently in the game I was averaging 100-120 FPS and sometimes >120 FPS. FPS occasionally dip below 90-100 and rarely dip below 80-90. Practical gameplay minimum is 80s/90s. Perhaps maybe 60s-80s in some parts of the game as well.

This is with 7970 @ 1175 1550 and 2600k 4.3 and 16gig ram

Damn well optimized game

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Max Payne 3 has nice graphics but I wouldn't call it a powerhouse. A GTX 570 can completely max it out at 1080p.