Massachusetts high court: Same-sex couples entitled to marry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
What I want to know is why the hell can't I marry 4 or 5 different women?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn

What I want to know is why you'd WANT TO!

/me runs and hides from his wife...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn

You can - just do not tell each one about the others.

For some reason they get very jealous.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: DanJ
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
This is a bad judgement, and I think very few on either side of this argument want. The exact same rights under a different title isn't seperate, it's just that - different. Saying it has to be called 'marriage' is just going to feed all the hard-core people on both sides.
Why the hell should the word marriage matter?? Is marriage anywhere near sacred anymore? What is it, 50+% fail? Who knows, maybe they'll do better at it then straight people do.

Who cares; let gay people marry if they want.

Thats the problem, marriage is not sacred anymore, but it should be. Marriage has since the the beginning of time, has been that of a man and woman. And it should remain as such. This is one thing I am in total agreement with Bush and the republicans, marriage needs to be defined by law.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Marriage is a religious thing.

Where are the anti-religion crackpots on this one? Marriage should be outlawed alltogether.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: classy
This is a bad judgement, and I think very few on either side of this argument want. The exact same rights under a different title isn't seperate, it's just that - different. Saying it has to be called 'marriage' is just going to feed all the hard-core people on both sides.
Why the hell should the word marriage matter?? Is marriage anywhere near sacred anymore? What is it, 50+% fail? Who knows, maybe they'll do better at it then straight people do.

Thats the problem, marriage is not sacred anymore, but it should be. Marriage has since the the beginning of time, has been that of a man and woman. And it should remain as such. This is one thing I am in total agreement with Bush and the republicans, marriage needs to be defined by law.
WHY? Will you sit at home in a standard marriage and all of the sudden feel a horrible pain in your chest due to the fact that their is a gay couple who is professing their love for one another? Will their marriage somenhow cheapen yours? Will their happiness somehow hurt yours?

No? Then give it up. No one is forcing anyone to marry someone of the same sex. Seperate but equal isn't equal. When did we learn this? Oh right, gay people are the black people of 21st Centruy. I forgot.

Its the same as people that oppose inter-racial marriage. Just hypocrisy. Who cares; its 2 people that love eachother; let them be.

fitzhue

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2000
Can someone please explain to me the conservative view on this and why they think gay marriage should be outlawed? I'm trying to be objective here and really can't see any strong points against it besides "preserving the sanctity of marriage"...which obviously has religious implications. Thanks

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

WHY? Will you sit at home in a standard marriage and all of the sudden feel a horrible pain in your chest due to the fact that their is a gay couple who is professing their love for one another? Will their marriage somenhow cheapen yours? Will their happiness somehow hurt yours?

No? Then give it up. No one is forcing anyone to marry someone of the same sex. Seperate but equal isn't equal. When did we learn this? Oh right, gay people are the black people of 21st Centruy. I forgot.

Its the same as people that oppose inter-racial marriage. Just hypocrisy. Who cares; its 2 people that love eachother; let them be.

It does matter. Whats next, people marrying their pets? And I hear this arguement, well its the same as being inter-racial. Not even close. This is not about race or color. Quite frankly is about the continuing collapse of the foundation of a healthy society. That foundation is that of a family. Now maybe its not important to you, but it is important to me as well as a lot of other folks. So when people start marrying their Great Danes next and want to have it legalized, dont let me hear you hurl an accusation. Whats not important to you, doesn't it make it bad if its important to someone else. Who cares, if you don't care. I didn't think my caring about a certain situation was dependant on your caring. Genius. :p

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Can someone please explain to me the conservative view on this and why they think gay marriage should be outlawed? I'm trying to be objective here and really can't see any strong points against it besides "preserving the sanctity of marriage"...which obviously has religious implications. Thanks

IIRC the contention is that gays are freaks of nature, or sinners who should change their ways. That gays could be attracted to the opposite sex if they chose to and should therefore immediately stop being attracted to the same sex. Or maybe they should join the Catholic clergy.

Zephyr

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

It does matter. Whats next, people marrying their pets? And I hear this arguement, well its the same as being inter-racial. Not even close. This is not about race or color. Quite frankly is about the continuing collapse of the foundation of healthy society. That foundation is that of a family. Now maybe its not important to you, but it is important to me as well as a lot of other folks. So when people start marrying their Great Danes next and want to have it legalized, dont let me hear you hurl an accusation. Whats not important to you, doesn't it make it bad if its important to someone else. Who cares, if you don't care. I didn't think my caring about a certain situation was dependant on your caring. Genius. :p
Well, I expect this from a gay-basher (which it seems you've now made it clear that you are). The comparison of a person marrying a dog and a person marrying another individual that happens to be of the same sex as them is ridiculous. Basically you're saying that gay people aren't human and thus their marriage is like animals marrying eachother. Right?

Foundation of a family aye? I assume that means since gay people cannot reproduce with eachother that they can never have a family. God knows their are no children in foster homes that these people could save from a life of loneliness. I'm sure those kids could never ever love two parental figures knowing the conservative right of the country has so much hate for people that are different from them. The love those possible parents could give them would surely pale in comparison to the love of moving from foster home to forster home.

Chew on this. The foundation of a healthy society is a society in which people get along and respect eachothers differences, allow eachother equal rights and equal protection under the law and allow people's love to be shown publically.

And thanks for the genius comment.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003

because the word marriage has a definition. and that definition states man and woman ONLY. yes, to some people, marriage is sacred. Im not exactly the religious type, but I do view marriage as one of the few sacred institutions that we have left.
Its all the liberal thinking that has driven marriage down into the sh|tter and back. This 'live and let live' and 'do what makes ya happy' attitude destroys values and institutions that most Americans hold dear. There used to be a thing called public decency. you would try to be a good person in public and not cause a scene. or embarass yourself or those you were with. Thats gone. There used to be a time when if a woman had an illegimate child, she was shamed and was ashamed because she would be labeled a whore. This is no more. And now, were trying to break down the walls of marriage. When does it stop?

fitzhue

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys

because the word marriage has a definition. and that definition states man and woman ONLY. yes, to some people, marriage is sacred. Im not exactly the religious type, but I do view marriage as one of the few sacred institutions that we have left.
Its all the liberal thinking that has driven marriage down into the sh|tter and back. This 'live and let live' and 'do what makes ya happy' attitude destroys values and institutions that most Americans hold dear. There used to be a thing called public decency. you would try to be a good person in public and not cause a scene. or embarass yourself or those you were with. Thats gone. There used to be a time when if a woman had an illegimate child, she was shamed and was ashamed because she would be labeled a whore. This is no more. And now, were trying to break down the walls of marriage. When does it stop?

So it is my understanding you would just want to roll back hundreds of years of societal advancement? Times change, people change, get over it.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Well, I expect this from a gay-basher (which it seems you've now made it clear that you are). The comparison of a person marrying a dog and a person marrying another individual that happens to be of the same sex as them is ridiculous. Basically you're saying that gay people aren't human and thus their marriage is like animals marrying eachother. Right?

Hmmm, is it any different than you saying two guys together are the same as a man and woman together? I would think there are some very glaring differences. Try anatomy 101 or ask your mommy to tell you about the birds and the bees.

Foundation of a family aye? I assume that means since gay people cannot reproduce with eachother that they can never have a family. God knows their are no children in foster homes that these people could save from a life of loneliness. I'm sure those kids could never ever love two parental figures knowing the conservative right of the country has so much hate for people that are different from them. The love those possible parents could give them would surely pale in comparison to the love of moving from foster home to forster home.

God? If God wanted two men or two women to raise foster kids, he would have made it so they could make their own kids as well. And just because there are bad parents in the world doesn't mean we just start sending kids to whomever will take them. And this idea that gay couples adopt all these poor foster kids is a joke too. Most lesbian couples go the route of insemination and its rare to see a gay male couple with children either, let alone all these foster kids you and others keep harping about.

Chew on this. The foundation of a healthy society is a society in which people get along and respect eachothers differences, allow eachother equal rights and equal protection under the law and allow people's love to be shown publically.

And thanks for the genius comment.

You said nothing really worth chewing on. Society is built on principles and certain foundations. Hopefully out of those principles you can a have society that enjoys the very things you mentioned. Gays have been showing their public affection for years. Doesn't mean that now they should be entitled to the same status as a married couple of a man and a woman. Its amazing how stupid people like you sound. You'll sit here in your ignorance and defend gay marriage for rights and yet this country has old folks who can't get married because of certain financial reasons. I don't see you waving your towel for them. Whats next? Let me guess, you'll defend the drug dealer on the corner, saying he should be entitled to unemployment during the slow periods. LOL :p

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: fitzhue

So it is my understanding you would just want to roll back hundreds of years of societal advancement? Times change, people change, get over it.

And that means the definition of marriage should change?

CkG

fitzhue

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

I really don't see why not. If society is going to change (homosexuality is becoming more popular), then why shouldn't peoples ideals change to accept them as equal, and give them equal rights?

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Ah, fun fun.

So if a woman has an "illegitimate" child she should be shamed and made to feel ashmaed because she is a whore. And the father? You didn't say so I'm not sure how I should feel about him; though society definitely should hate that whore of a woman more. Society should make that child believe her mother is a whore. Thats what this society should be about!!! But I digress...

Allowing gay marriage does nothing to the sanctity of marriage; marriage is about love between two people and their want to be one being essentially, one entity. I'm sure if gay people start getting married that us straight people are going to stop because its no longer sacred, its no longer our thing right?? I'm sure the sky will start falling as well chicken little.

Give it up.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

marriage has a definition. and that definition states man and woman ONLY
That is driven by the religious thinking. As Wag stated you do not neet a religion - the state can marry you.
Until one can show that the gay relationship is more dangerous to society than a hetro-sexual one, then why shoul dthe be discriminated against.
Liberals may have allowed the attitudes to become visible, however, there are many conservatives that did not practice what they preached.

Those attitudes were the same way in the 1800's with respect to racial interaction.
Blacks were considered impure, however, every white man was given a slap on the back if they had a black mistress.
Let a black man sleep with a white girl, and it was a neck-tie party.

Discrimination by sex and/or race is treating a person as sub-human.
As much as people will complain, should such a case every make it all the way up to the US Supreme Court, the fact of sexual descrimination and the constituion of "all men are created equal" will prevail and shut the bigots up.

After a legal binding in one state, they can then go to another state and the binding should be enforcible. A refusal to honor the legal union will drive that case into the court systems quickly. A federal court will get the case and appeals may go all the way up.

Smart lawyers will turn any states arguement against a gay union into toothpicks.

/edit
And I consider myself an open minded conservative

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
You said nothing really worth chewing on. Society is built on principles and certain foundations. Hopefully out of those principles you can a have society that enjoys the very things you mentioned. Gays have been showing their public affection for years. Doesn't mean that now they should be entitled to the same status as a married couple of a man and a woman. Its amazing how stupid people like you sound. You'll sit here in your ignorance and defend gay marriage for rights and yet this country has old folks who can't get married because of certain financial reasons. I don't see you waving your towel for them. Whats next? Let me guess, you'll defend the drug dealer on the corner, saying he should be entitled to unemployment during the slow periods. LOL :p
Haha...ah yes we on the left sound so crazy for not wanting to stomp out the minorities among us. Nice!

And as for drug dealers, they hurt people, they cause addictions, they cause crime. You're a hypocrite for somehow insinuating that gay marriage is like drug dealers collecting unemployment. And as for the Anatomy 101 shout-out I'm going to repeat my last sentance and change some words. You're a hypocrite for somehow insinuating that gay marriage is like someone marrying a dog.

Too bad you can't openly hate black people, foreigners, or some minorities anymore; at least you've still got gay people. But hey at least your parents and grandparents got to. Hopefully your children can hate someone when they're old enough to close their eyes to the ever-changing world around them.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Gays have been showing their public affection for years. Doesn't mean that now they should be entitled to the same status as a married couple of a man and a woman.

Why? Are they going to give off cooties? Add some heebee jeebees to life? Honestly, give me one legal reason why it should not be allowed.

Its amazing how stupid people like you sound. You'll sit here in your ignorance and defend gay marriage for rights and yet this country has old folks who can't get married because of certain financial reasons. I don't see you waving your towel for them.

It is stupid and ignorant to believe all men and women deserve equal rights under the law as the rest of us?

Whats next? Let me guess, you'll defend the drug dealer on the corner, saying he should be entitled to unemployment during the slow periods. LOL :p

How is that in anyway related to gay marriage?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Classy pets/livestock/minor children etc are quite different than consenting adults who make informed consentual choices. One is voluntary the other is coersive and could be involutary.

This is why I don't oppose poligamy, prostitution, drug use, gay marriage or any other consentual crime. And we think we live in a free country LOL. If it does''nt harm you or an innocent why do you care?

Your a bigot. The only thing it's upsetting is your sensabilities which are engraned in your psyche. Much like white boys in the south had 50 years ago...some even today.

Edited for clarity if hope.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

I really don't see why not. If society is going to change (homosexuality is becoming more popular), then why shouldn't peoples ideals change to accept them as equal, and give them equal rights?

That's the point - they don't meet the definition for marriage so the want to change the definition of marriage to suit their "needs". This isn't about "rights" - this is about getting something they don't currently "qualify" for.

CkG

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: alchemize
If I support gay marriage, will they stop having parades?

I hope so, I mean, how does having two men in chaps grinding on each other help anyone?