Mass Shooting at Dark Knight Rises Premier in Aurora Colorado (12 Dead, 59 Injured)

LightRider

May 10, 2001
rgvzgm.blogspot.com
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...ark-knight-rises-screening-in-aurora-colorado

Updated at 5:35 a.m. ET: At least 14 people were killed and dozens of others wounded early Friday when at least one gunman opened fire during a shootout scene at a midnight screening of the summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight Rises" near Denver, authorities and witnesses said.
Aurora police chief Dan Oates told reporters that 10 people died at the scene of the shooting and four others died after being taken to local hospitals. At least 50 other people were injured, Oates said.
One suspect was in custody, police said. It was unclear whether other suspects were involved.
The incident occurred in the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center, police told NBC News. Aurora is a suburb less than 10 miles east of downtown Denver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOA6Dtt0Tv4 One person's personal video who was in the adjacent theater after the incident.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2259018 Off Topic thread with more information/comments.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Too bad. I have no idea how to prevent this kind of thing. Really, other than finding people before they become nut jobs and trying to stop/help them is probably the only way.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Lol. Someone has issues... If this person gets convicted, shoot the fucker in the back of the head, like my country does for executions.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Too bad. I have no idea how to prevent this kind of thing. Really, other than finding people before they become nut jobs and trying to stop/help them is probably the only way.

Pretty much. There is obvious mental issues at play here and the only avoidance for this situations is to identify those before hand. You can never identify all of them ahead of time.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I can't believe they caught the guy, which is being reported. Most of the time these guys are not caught.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Another crazed opportunist.
Not to mention heavily armed.
God bless the NRA protecting assault weapons.
Is anyone really that surprised? I mean really?

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Too bad the police didn't shoot and kill the sick fuck. Now the taxpayers will get reamed for millions of dollars and wait 15 years or more for the shooter to be executed.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
This is very unfortunate, not only for those involved in this tragedy but for those that see this as demonstration that attacking movie theaters could be 'successful'

I also hope we don't end up going overboard on theater security as we did with the TSA and the blanket school rules

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007

Can you please define "assault weapon" for me? At this point we have no idea what type of gun he used on than the vague mention in the article. For all we know he may have used a full auto machine gun that IS illegal under current law. In that case I expect you will apologize to the NRA.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Can you please define "assault weapon" for me? At this point we have no idea what type of gun he used on than the vague mention in the article. For all we know he may have used a full auto machine gun that IS illegal under current law. In that case I expect you will apologize to the NRA.
According to witness reports on the news this morning, he had a rifle of some sort, two hand guns, and a gas canister (tear gas speculated). He came in through an exit at the front of the the theater, threw the canister, and started shooting as he slowly climbed the stairs to the back of the theater, then turned around and came back down, still shooting. He reportedly stopped to reload at least once. Based on these reports, I don't think it would have mattered if he had a so-called "assault" weapon or not, Multiple guns and plenty of time would seem to make that moot.

Disclaimer: these are initial reports, and may well be complete nonsense.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Surely this will be taken advantage of by the anti-gun crowd. A national ban on all forms of weapons are in order, Forks especially.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

Thank you so much for turning a tragedy into an excuse for political blathering and ignorance. I'm sure your'e hoping that the nutjob will be painted as a tea party freak as well.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Too bad the police didn't shoot and kill the sick fuck. Now the taxpayers will get reamed for millions of dollars and wait 15 years or more for the shooter to be executed.

QFT, since there's overwhelming evidence, convict this guy and hang him before sundown. I don't believe in this 'insanity' bullshit, if you're convicted for murdering that many, you should be executed. (Yes, that goes for that crazy bitch mom in texas who drowned a bunch of her kids)

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Congratulations. Only 9 posts till it turned political. You don't even know what kind of gun he had you idiot.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009

First asshat to make it political, good job. Didn't take long.

Even if assault weapons were banned, the weapons would still find their way into the hands of the deranged. Or he would have used something else just as deadly. When people want to do mass killings, they will find a way. It's just a sad story to hear.

Last edited:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

In Israel, you'd have to go thru metal detectors to get into the theater.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
In Israel, you'd have to go thru metal detectors to get into the theater.

If we tried that here, it would quickly mutate into something like the TSA. The "think of the children" groups and security companies would go on a FUD campaign and play up the threat.