Mass effect...

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I put in the cheats... :-/ I now have super armor and super weapon. I do 25K per shot with an assault rifle. I do not die, I do not take damage... 8000 shields. :-/ Soo---... Yeah. I am only like five hours in too. God this game sucks. It's sooo much dialogue that I could not give a rats ass about. Yeah the gameplay sucks. The story is boring, and the only thing that kept me through it all is having the FEMALE character who looks relatively attractive. (Although the yellow/kill-bill suit makes her look ugly)

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
I don't understand you. You're using cheat codes and you're complaining about the gameplay. THERE IS NO MORE GAMEPLAY ONCE YOU START CHEATING. You can not die or get wounded when you are cheating, so that takes away any gaming pleasure. Why on earth are you playing games like that, I just don't understand.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: error8
I don't understand you. You're using cheat codes and you're complaining about the gameplay. THERE IS NO MORE GAMEPLAY ONCE YOU START CHEATING. You can not die or get wounded when you are cheating, so that takes away any gaming pleasure. Why on earth are you playing games like that, I just don't understand.

The gameplay sucked to begin with... So I used cheats to bring it some life.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555
I put in the cheats... :-/ I now have super armor and super weapon. I do 25K per shot with an assault rifle. I do not die, I do not take damage... 8000 shields. :-/ Soo---... Yeah. I am only like five hours in too. God this game sucks. It's sooo much dialogue that I could not give a rats ass about. Yeah the gameplay sucks. The story is boring, and the only thing that kept me through it all is having the FEMALE character who looks relatively attractive. (Although the yellow/kill-bill suit makes her look ugly)

Cheating does ruin the game,as to dialogue its an RPG so you are supposed to make decisions and follow the storyline,sounds like to me you don't like this type of game so why did you pick it up?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
It's like complaining you have to shoot stuff in an FPS Shooter :confused: Oh the horror - dialogue in an RPG! How in the world could they do that... ;) Though I must admit, the side quests really sucked some serious ass. Boring and repetitive as hell.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
LOL you should have thought twice before you bought an RPG, Mass Effect is NOT for the Halo/Gears of War generation, the combat is partly inspired by it and a lot of stuff is streamlined but regardless, the game is meant to be played leisurely at your own pace just absorbing the world around you, kicking back and listening to the dialogue and pretty much just role-playing.

The dialogue, the story and the universe is what makes the game for me, on top of that the combat is pretty entertaining and well done but it takes a backseat to the rest of the game. When you take all that away from the game you end up with a slightly repetitive game so yeah, just make an effort to let the game absorb you into the ME universe.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: error8

That's... that's the opposite of what cheats do.

Cheats exist so that if you really can't get through a part and really want to see the rest of the game, you can. Or so 10 year-olds can do the god thing and be invincible (I remember cheating in Warcraft 2 when I was 10, it was a great time, I'm certainly not knocking cheating).

I haven't played Mass Effect yet, but cheating by definition does not bring life to the gameplay. It's fine if you don't like it, but maybe try playing the first 5 hours without cheats?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Aberforth
I enjoyed Mass Effect, just downloaded the Patch and the free expansion pack.

Grabbing those now . . .

Oh, the OP is an idiot. Mass Effect was so light on the dialog, combined with most of the planets being identical, it was basically an FPS with stats and a better story line than any other FPS.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Eeezee

That's... that's the opposite of what cheats do.

Cheats exist so that if you really can't get through a part and really want to see the rest of the game, you can. Or so 10 year-olds can do the god thing and be invincible (I remember cheating in Warcraft 2 when I was 10, it was a great time, I'm certainly not knocking cheating).

I haven't played Mass Effect yet, but cheating by definition does not bring life to the gameplay. It's fine if you don't like it, but maybe try playing the first 5 hours without cheats?

I ran the cheat codes in Serious Sam 2 when I was in a bad mood and just wanted to destroy stuff. Worked quite well. :D

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
It's sooo much dialogue <snippity>

You thought perhaps it was a dialogue/story-free RPG? Because they have those, they are called FPSs.

As to cheating, I have no 'moral' issues with it, and use it either when I just want to hurry up and finish a game that's taking too long and I've seen everything there is to see but the end of the story (most RTS), or if there's a particularly difficult point that I die 100 times trying to get past. I resort to walkthrough's to see if I'm missing something obvious before I input cheats though.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Are you glad that you 'downloaded it' and 'didn't pay for this peice of crap'?

I knew no matter what game was suggested, you would just complain and call it crap, regardless of how unanimously agreed that Mass Effect is at least a decent game.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
TridenTBoy3555, it looks like cRPGs are not for you. Dialog, character development and story are fundamental aspects of roleplaying games.

If you enjoy the fighting mechanics of roleplaying games and not the previously mentioned fundamental aspects, might I suggest a third person shooter with stats and levels like Diablo 2 (Titan Quest from what I hear is a clone of Diablo's gameplay style with more modern graphics) or a first person shooter with stats and levels like Oblivion?

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks
It's sooo much dialogue <snippity>

You thought perhaps it was a dialogue/story-free RPG? Because they have those, they are called FPSs.

I got the impression that he doesn't like fps's either from recent threads about Crysis and COD4. Hello Kitty Online perhaps?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005

Go play some Serious Sam or Doom or Painkiller instead.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I thought it was boring as all get out, mainly because at first glance the citadel seemed HUGE and I kept getting lost, then I figured out mass transit and advanced the story some and actually looked forward to playing it as an intimidate type character who hated aliens and was only in it for humanity

didn't like it enough to go through it a 2nd time as a charming character who was all goody goody... mainly due to having to listen to mostly the same dialog again.