Mass Effect 3 . . . Yay or Nay Thread: No Spoilers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Mass Effect 3 worth buying in its present state?

• Yes

• No

• Boycott for Zero Day/On Disk DLC

• Results

Results are only viewable after voting.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
...yes. On one condition.

When, in the last moments of the game, someone says "Nothing's happening" and Shepard starts getting lifted up on a platform, alt-tab out of the game. Spare yourself from the idiocy of the ensuing 10 minutes of the game.

Other than that, the game's phenomenal!

Best recommendation.

And to whoever said the ONLY reason the ending was disappointing was because the choice map proved pointless....no. The reason the ending was bad was because of it's stupid deus ex machina nature that made no sense, and no closure on the characters they spent 3 games developing.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Yes, it's worth buying, it's an excellent game, relatively comparable in game-play mechanics to ME2, it has its own unique ones. It's about the same length (dependent more on the difficulty setting than ME2, in my opinion). The dialog quality (and amount of it) is also comparable to that of ME2's (and ME1's), sometimes better, sometimes a bit "tasteless" (although rarely so). There's no useless scanning for resources (artificially inflating the game's content or length, for example), there IS scanning though, but it's not "useless" as much nor even comparable to what it was in ME1 or ME2.

There's more "main quests" than side quests in this one, but there's no "landing on 'x' planet for N7 Assignments" types of missions that isn't going to benefit the "longer term" main quest. For example, side quests directly help the main quest in some ways, contrarily to just be side quests that don't do much or if anything like in ME1 or ME2... for example landing on a planet just to see a Mech firing at some rocks while powering it up with batteries along the way only to gain some resources... there's no stupidity like that this time around.

There's a few issues here and there, some bugs, some camera-related problems (dodging, getting blocked), but they aren't frequent and they happened in ME2 as well (floating, getting blocked, etc). I personally don't like the quest-tracking system much but it's a question of adaptation more than anything else. The actually quality of game-play is great, it surpasses most of (not all of) ME2. Game-play-wise specifically, yes, an absolute blast, not a perfect game (none are), but much better than the "usual" generic crap we have to deal with, still by now considered to be one of (if not "the") best BioWare games (personally I think it's their second best, after KOTOR, don't get me wrong, I really like ME3, it's epic, generally speaking, but KOTOR had a much profound impact on me than ME3 did even after the first-playthrough, but that's subjective).

Story-wise (NO SPOILERS)... well, let's just remind people (generally) that the ME trilogy has been written by a total of three different writers, one of which did most of the work since the release of ME2, namely Mac Walters (Drew was the lead writer for ME1, then co-wrote a bit of ME2, and supposedly had "some influence" for ME3's story as well, but hasn't been proven). It is clear to me that despite obvious attempts at "connecting all the dots" properly ME's lore stability and cohesion isn't perfect. It's a very complex sci-fi epic, and like others in its category it suffers from unexplained/incomprehensible/lost information (or plot holes if you want). Most of ME3's Codex information and in-game events, along with characters behaviors, dialog, past history revelations, etc, does fit "well enough" (sometimes very well) with regards to what "we know of" from ME1 and ME2.

Most of it all does fit somewhere in the big picture, but there's still many unanswered questions, some of them very important (which is creating a lot of discontent amongst the community, with reasons). Regardless of the story/lore-related issues, the actual GAME, the game-PLAY, the entertainment of ME3 is irrevocably grand.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
They tried connecting dots with that ending? o_O

Prior to it, yes :p

EDIT: Oh, by the way, just as a fair warning... although it will seem very far-fetched for many. There's people out there whom invested themselves emotionally in the trilogy since many years and developed bonds with specific characters, even created self-canonized events in their mind over time as the trilogy progressed. The ending for many was so brutal and unexpected that they are experiencing mild (or higher) levels of depression with actual physical symptoms. I am serious.

So, if any of you haven't played the game at all and happened to be part of the (perhaps rare) cases of "years of emotional involvement" group in playing the series but also happen to suffer from any extent of depression in real-life then I actually recommend being very prudent before playing the game. Not to mention that the game even prior to the ending has a very grim, dark and poignant atmosphere, despite the several cases of humor thrown here and there. The more the game progresses and the darker is gets, that's the gist of it, then ending by itself it a complete other world, almost literally...

Last edited:

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
I did pretty much everything you could do in the game. All side missions and I had a save from 2 so I had all the side missions and I still beat the game in 15 hours. That being said the best part of the game was everything until the ending. Consider the game the ending and not just what happens in the last 10 minutes. Though right at the end was pretty intense too.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I love how I read about 5 posts in this thread that said "no spoilers" and the ending was spoiled for me.

orbster556

Dec 14, 2005
Loved 1, hated 2, do not want 3.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Might purchase at some point down the road -- at a heavy discount -- but, given the large number of games that I want to play but can't due to time limitations, I'm not even sure if I'd play ME3. Sure, I want to see how the story ends but, for me at least, gameplay is parramount; to be sure, a good, engaging narrative is an essential ingredient in any great game. In my mind, however, gameplay is more important and BW's decision to have the ME gameplay shift ever closer to Gears-lite to be unfortunate. Moreover, and maybe they've refined this aspect in ME3, but the 'rpg' element they're no pushing -- the moral decision model -- needs is simplistic and lacks any sort of nuance or sophistication.

Although my recollection is slightly hazy, I seem to recall a scene from KOTOR II with Kreia wherein she chided the PC for providing aid to an indigent on the ground that this would only mean he would get robbed later. Shame that BioWare, especially seeing how they've sought to strip or simplify almost every other role-playing convention from their games, haven't further developed that concept.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I love how I read about 5 posts in this thread that said "no spoilers" and the ending was spoiled for me.

Not my fault. :( I very clearly stated 'No Spoilers.'

There's at least some squad banter, right? I assume I can still go talk to squad members in the Normandy . . . . any personal quests for them? Tell me they haven't been reduced to mannequins with guns.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Unfortunately, the ending of a game is what sticks with you. And in a way, a terrible ending to an otherwise great game is even worse than the entire game being bad. It just seems like such a waste to put so much into the franchise and the final game only to be left with an empty feeling when its over. It's kind of like playing a great game in the Super Bowl only to lose on the last play.

I don't agree with that really. The ending is not the pinnacle of the experience to me, just another [albeit important, as they all are] component. Many of my most beloved games that I think back on (ones that I haven't played in quite some time) I don't have a real clear recollection of the ending; Ogre Battle 64, Skies of Arcadia, Baten Kaitos, Final Fantasy X, Tales of Symphonia. By memory alone, I'd have to really piece together what happened at the end of most of those games; and I'm pretty sure only Ogre Battle had a crappy ending (rather, I got the crappy ending lol, it had like 8 others or something). Point being, what sticks with you is what you get out of a game. For me the characters and scenery and exploration are much more vivid in my memory than the endings.

Personally I think the 'journey' of a game is often greater than the 'destination', but even if you're the sort of person to consider the 'ending' to be the apex experience I don't think it's fair to arbitrarily marginalize everything else that led into it because of it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I thought the ending was too open ended and needs closure, but the rest of the game was otherwise fun. I liked most of the interaction and little tidbits of conversation between crew members and other npcs, I felt like that was what gave the game most of its life.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Not worth it at full price and from what I've read the story is too short for a fifty dollar title. I'll be waiting till it's twenty or so.

Short would be call of duty's 4 hours of shooting mindless enemies that funnel out. You're looking at 15 hours to 20 hours easily depending on how you play.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I thought the ending was too open ended and needs closure, but the rest of the game was otherwise fun. I liked most of the interaction and little tidbits of conversation between crew members and other npcs, I felt like that was what gave the game most of its life.

If memory serves, Bioware/EA have stated there would be more games in the ME franchise. Just likely not centered around Sheppard.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
If memory serves, Bioware/EA have stated there would be more games in the ME franchise. Just likely not centered around Sheppard.

Closure as in I just want more Tali. :awe:

But I'd be interested in how they expand on the official aftermath, etc etc.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It's an amazing game, easily the best of the series by far, but the endings are bad. I'm talking 7th grade English project bad, literally. Imagine a french fry that's 90% perfectly cooked, but that 10% at the end is completely uncooked. And you have to eat the whole think whether you want to or not.

I'm serious, I could argue the ending is the biggest dissapointment in vide game history. Never has such a good game ruined itself in the last 10 minutes.

So bottom line: I'd say no in its current form. If you do, don't expect a satisfying ending.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Loved 1, hated 2, do not want 3.

Man, this is ME. Meaning me the person. Could not put one down. Played it relentlessly.
Drooled over picking up 2. Transfering character, etc. 2 was SO FLAT.

So right now. 3 bargain bin material. Maybe.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I love ME1 and to a lesser extend ME2 to death but I wish I didn't pay full price for ME3. It's not a bad game at all but it feels... off. I'm only a few hours in and last night, I started over because my femshep (I've had both male/female playthroughs since ME1) clearly has the better voice actor.

Aside from that, I'm assuming the game and plot picks up because right now it definitely lacks the charisma and charm and I suppose "epicness" of the first 2 games.

Verdict: Wait for sale.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I heard lots bad user reviews on this one, so I think I will pass on 3. Or maybe when they have a complete edition of 1-2-3 then I'll get it in one shot. but no motivation to dish out 50 to play 3 now.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I heard lots bad user reviews on this one, so I think I will pass on 3. Or maybe when they have a complete edition of 1-2-3 then I'll get it in one shot. but no motivation to dish out 50 to play 3 now.

I don't think we've seen a bad legitimate user review yet aside from complaints about the ending.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Is there any way to mark quests as active?

Hmmm, not that I know of, actually I thought that quest-tracking (or filtering, in the Journal) was pretty much bad overall. In ME2 we could see quest progression in the Journal (clicking on the " + " like a drop down menu that would show which NPCs you needed to turn quests to, or needed to talk to, etc). If I'm not mistaken the "progression" is shown on the map, for instance if you're in the Citadel, you open up the map and whatever you happen to be doing in the Citadel (Citadel quest, that is) then it should be showing up on the map of your area, provided you open it (it's not a reflex to do so specifically to track quests since it wasn't done like that in ME2).

I think it's probably just a question of adaptation, but I still don't like how quests are tracked in ME3, and how there's basically no information about them on the Journal itself. You can't even filter the quests "by" category. For example I can't chose to see only N7-types of quests, they're pretty much mixed up together, but granted, the important quests have the "Priority" prefix before them, for example "Priority: Palaven", so you know that those quests are "the main ones"... still, categorizing would have been... practical, at least.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, quest tracking was bad. It was a step back from the previous games, which told you what star cluster and system to go to and tracked the quests step by step.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Great game. I won't even really say the ending was bad. Just not what anyone who wasn't on acid would come up with.

I could see that being one possible ending, but I hear the other ones aren't different at all.