Martial Arts Styles - Update: Started Training

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I'm looking for a compreshensive guide to different martial arts styles. I used google, but what I am looking for is a brief but desciptive run down of the different styles, and I was unable to find that. Primarily, I am interested in information on Wing Chun, Kung Fu, Soo Bahk Do, and Shotokahn Karate. Any martial artsy ATers out there?

Update:I started going to the Wing Chun practices last week. The instructor is Sifu Julian Sawyer, and he studied under William Cheung. It seems pretty good so far, we've learned most of the Shil Lum Tao as well as the basic punches and some blocks and such. For some reason it just doesn't seem as satisfying as Tae Kwon Do was when I did it in high school. I guess maybe it's because we haven't been hitting pads or anything yet, but I don't know. I guess it seems like it's a bit to early for me to pass judgement, but I plan on continuing for now. Also, can anyone shed some light on the controversy concerning William Cheung?

dtmbb92

May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight
I'm looking for a compreshensive guide to different martial arts styles. I used google, but what I am looking for is a brief but desciptive run down of the different styles, and I was unable to find that. Primarily, I am interested in information on Wing Chun, Kung Fu, Soo Bahk Do, and Shotokahn Karate. Any martial artsy ATers out there?

i've taken American Open Style karate for the past 10 years. I have a 2 degree black belt. But i have no info about all those other styles. :confused:

Dec 28, 2001
Wing Chun (also spelled as "wing tsun", "ving tsun"): made famous by bruce lee, this style is typical of Southern Chinese styles - that is, it's a closer ranged style, emphsizing arms more than legs, and low kicks to maintain balance.

Kung Fu: Generic term for "martial arts" - since it's Chinese, it's usually referred to Chinese martial arts. Literally, it means "good skill" or something similar - so you could have great typing Kung Fu . . ..

Soo Bak Do: The legendary(?) fighting style of ancient Koreans - is supposedly lost a while ago . . ..

Shotokan Karate: Style of Karate that is 6 punches/4 kicks - 'hard'.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I trained in wing chun for a year & a half before ankle injuries made me reconsider the lifestyle.
I highly recommend it, but learn wrestling/ground-fighting to supplement it.
It all depends on your sifu though, don't learn from someone who isn't extremely dangerous.
I was taught an adapted william cheung version.

Dec 28, 2001
Here you go.

I trained in wing chun for a year & a half before ankle injuries made me reconsider the lifestyle.
I highly recommend it, but learn wrestling/ground-fighting to supplement it.
It all depends on your sifu though, don't learn from someone who isn't extremely dangerous.
I was taught an adapted william cheung version.

No offense, but you know that William Cheung is, um . . . shall we say "looked lightly upon" in Wing Chun (including WT and VT) circles . . ..

Well, I meant no offense. To each their own.

pipster

Nov 27, 2001
Expanding on kung fu, there are plenty of different types... but i think you are referring to shaolin style. However, most are variants on the two different territorial styles: north and south.

Northern style emphasises mobility, therefore consisting of narrower, taller stances. Basic punches and palm strikes, more variation on kicks (ie: jumping/spinning kicks).

Southern style emphasises stability, with shorter, wider stances. Basic kicks, more variation on hand strikes (ie: hooking/grappling/clawing elements).

Of course, regarding kung fu in general, even if one learns both styles, they cover only one half of the spectrum! Many people seem to glorify "hard" styles, often overlooking "soft" styles, the most famous being tai chi. It's fitting that tai chi is overlooked, but as a play on words, do not think that it is simple to learn merely because it is "not hard!"

I'm going of all this offhand, so feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate. I have learned northern and southern style, as well as tai chi... however I cannot claim to be an expert. I was taught by my father, so ranking/promotion was very subjective. He believed that "working out" is not always synoymous with "mastery." True mastery is applying the principals in everyday life... they are to be used as guidelines to ones life.

Closing, this is why Bruce Lee (quite philosophical himself) considered Jeet Kune Do NOT as a martial art, but as a "fighting style" because there are no rules. It is this priciple of adaptation to overcome an adversary by not being stuck to a strict ruleset that makes it so revolutionary. (I'm rambling, I know)

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Jehovah
Wing Chun (also spelled as "wing tsun", "ving tsun"): made famous by bruce lee, this style is typical of Southern Chinese styles - that is, it's a closer ranged style, emphsizing legs more than arms, and low kicks to maintain balance.

Wing Chun emphsises more *arms* then legs. You only hav ea few leg kicks that are below waist hight. Its more close range combat with arms. Blocking and attacking on the central line of your body vertically.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
[/quote]No offense, but you know that William Cheung is, um . . . shall we say "looked lightly upon" in Wing Chun (including WT and VT) circles . . ..

Well, I meant no offense. To each their own.[/quote]I know what you mean, but I could care less about Cheung, its my sifu I trust and the only respect I have for Cheung is that which is due through my sifu. Like I said his system is altered and there are disagreements on technique, etc.
I forgot to mention that if you want a good teacher, look at his students. You can determine a lot from their mentality/ability.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: amcdonald
No offense, but you know that William Cheung is, um . . . shall we say "looked lightly upon" in Wing Chun (including WT and VT) circles . . ..

Well, I meant no offense. To each their own.[/quote]I know what you mean, but I could care less about Cheung, its my sifu I trust and the only respect I have for Cheung is that which is due through my sifu. Like I said his system is altered and there are disagreements on technique, etc.
I forgot to mention that if you want a good teacher, look at his students. You can determine a lot from their mentality/ability.[/quote]

Yeah.

A good teacher makes or breaks WHATEVER style you choose to do. If he is not very good then you are not going to be good, then if you had a better teacher.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I studied Tae Kwon Do for about a year so I know the basic kicks/punches and a few forms. I didn't continue it in college because I just didn't like the philosophy of the team at my school. I'll be in grad school next year, and I'm looking to start training again, assuming I have time. Right now the offerings seem to by Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Shotokahn (sp?), and Soo Bahk Do. I'm leaning toward Wing Chun, but I figure I'll go around and talk to all of the instructors first. There's a Soo Bahk Do demonstration tomorrow night, so I'm planning on checking that too. The only problem is that my new mobo and processor come in tomorrow too. :p

ElDonAntonio

Aug 4, 2001
I've been practicing Shotokan for the past 11 years, it's a very traditional style of karate. I like it because the techniques are very clean cut, the moves are well defined and the stances solid. Just don't expect to be doing Jackie Chan kind of stuff.

Anyways, it gets really interesting when you approach the blue-brown-black belts and start discovering advanced techniques.

Krassus

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2003
Look into Brazillian (Gracie) Jiu-Jitsu. It's widely regarded as the most powerful and effective style in the world.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Krassus
Look into Brazillian (Gracie) Jiu-Jitsu. It's widely regarded as the most powerful and effective style in the world.

There is no such thing as a "most powerful and effective style in the world." It doesn't exist, making claims like these only boost egos and confuse potential learners. The most powerful style is a blend of strikes, grapples, weapons, meditation, constant training, experience, and the wisdom to know how and when to employ your knowledge. No one style teaches that, therefore no one style is the most powerful. It's all how one approaches, and uses the knowledge obtained.

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Koing
Wing Chun (also spelled as "wing tsun", "ving tsun"): made famous by bruce lee, this style is typical of Southern Chinese styles - that is, it's a closer ranged style, emphsizing legs more than arms, and low kicks to maintain balance.

Wing Chun emphsises more *arms* then legs. You only hav ea few leg kicks that are below waist hight. Its more close range combat with arms. Blocking and attacking on the central line of your body vertically.

:Q:Q:Q

AAAAACK - I meant 'more arms then legs' - I (kinda) know this stuff, I swear!

Anyhoo, I already posted the link, not sure if you guys saw it, so:

Martial Arts Styles

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Koing

I forgot to mention that if you want a good teacher, look at his students. You can determine a lot from their mentality/ability.[/quote]

Yeah.

A good teacher makes or breaks WHATEVER style you choose to do. If he is not very good then you are not going to be good, then if you had a better teacher.[/quote]

This is purely IMO, by the way - I'm not trying to disrespect /flame in anny sorts, so . . ..

Anyhow, regardless of if you give him respect or not, he is the head of your system, no? And Anything modified from the stuff that he taught . . .well, he 'modified' a bunch of stuff that's not in ANY of the other branches of Wing Chun . . . so you're getting farther and farther away from the source . . . that being said, since the true 'source' is long since passed, it's hard to say what it is . . . but it ain't what he's teaching . . ..

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I studied Tae Kwon Do for about a year so I know the basic kicks/punches and a few forms. I didn't continue it in college because I just didn't like the philosophy of the team at my school. I'll be in grad school next year, and I'm looking to start training again, assuming I have time. Right now the offerings seem to by Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Shotokahn (sp?), and Soo Bahk Do. I'm leaning toward Wing Chun, but I figure I'll go around and talk to all of the instructors first. There's a Soo Bahk Do demonstration tomorrow night, so I'm planning on checking that too. The only problem is that my new mobo and processor come in tomorrow too. :p
Don't just go talk to the instructors... Train with them for a while before making a decision. But be honest up front that you are just trying out the school, because some schools are heavily based on loyalty. If a teacher wants you to sign a contract or something ridiculous like that walk away, its a scam.
For the love of god don't goto a school with a class or anything like that. ...train one on one, and DON'T GOTO A SCHOOL WHERE YOU DON'T SPAR. and I don't mean tappy tap tap spar, I mean full facemask so you don't break your nose, "You alright? ...when you are done throwing up I'll show you what you are doing wrong."
How do people expect to win a fight when they don't know what its like to get knocked silly?
And dtyn is right, its the fighter, not the style, that is the winner. And a good fighter can adapt beyond his style.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
This is purely IMO, by the way - I'm not trying to disrespect /flame in anny sorts, so . . ..

Anyhow, regardless of if you give him respect or not, he is the head of your system, no? And Anything modified from the stuff that he taught . . .well, he 'modified' a bunch of stuff that's not in ANY of the other branches of Wing Chun . . . so you're getting farther and farther away from the source . . . that being said, since the true 'source' is long since passed, it's hard to say what it is . . . but it ain't what he's teaching . . ..
the truth is that no one except william cheung knows whether or not he's telling the truth (if you've looked into his background you know what I mean)...
But honestly who cares about the source of any martials art as long as its effective. Krav maga, jeet kun do, and other hybrid fighting styles are brilliantly effective. Even if william cheung is a liar/criminal, he's impressive in person and very accomplished. Like I said before, judging him by his student (my sifu) he has a lot of merit. (keep in mind I'm not like a fanboy of my teacher, I've watched him time & time again work badass people. People come to our school to challenge him/check him out, and I always enjoy watching him prove that he is a master.)

Dec 28, 2001
Don't just go talk to the instructors... Train with them for a while before making a decision. But be honest up front that you are just trying out the school, because some schools are heavily based on loyalty. If a teacher wants you to sign a contract or something ridiculous like that walk away, its a scam.
For the love of god don't goto a school with a class or anything like that. ...train one on one, and DON'T GOTO A SCHOOL WHERE YOU DON'T SPAR. and I don't mean tappy tap tap spar, I mean full facemask so you don't break your nose, "You alright? ...when you are done throwing up I'll show you what you are doing wrong."
How do people expect to win a fight when they don't know what its like to get knocked silly?
And dtyn is right, its the fighter, not the style, that is the winner. And a good fighter can adapt beyond his style.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, amcdonald. First of all, we don't even know what WhiteKnight is looking for - for all we know, he could be taking a style to meet chicks, get in shape, get discipline, etc.

Now, you might argue that it's not a martial art, then, and personally I might agree, but it's not what 'we say sould be right', it's what 'he's loking for'.

Some good points are brought up, however - clubs with contracts ar a bit 'fishy', but it seems like a university club, so it won't be much of a problem - their rates are, usually, incredibly cheap.

And schools that have private lessons are a bit on the pricy side - I don't know about you, but being a college student doesn't leave me a with a lot of financial freedoms. Same thing for instructors - can you imagine a school where they teach only on a private lesson basis? How useless/wasteful is that?

As for full-contact fighting, yes, only lovetaps will do more harm then good, but full-on contact is a bit severe, IMO. You don't need to know what it's like being hit with full power esp. When it's an elbow strike/knee/internal strike. I hate those.

And lastly, yes, a good instructor (there's a difference between a "good fighter" and a "good instructor") can adapt the style to be better . . . but it's still within the confines of a style! I've seen great Judo players trying to get into a throw when they're obviously in a elbow/kness range . . ..

All in all, regardless of styles, go look at all the schools/clubs before deciding. They may offer something the other schools may not, and what you're looking for will differe from anyone else's - only you can decide. Good luck!

Dec 28, 2001

the truth is that no one except william cheung knows whether or not he's telling the truth (if you've looked into his background you know what I mean)...
But honestly who cares about the source of any martials art as long as its effective. Krav maga, jeet kun do, and other hybrid fighting styles are brilliantly effective. Even if william cheung is a liar/criminal, he's impressive in person and very accomplished. Like I said before, judging him by his student (my sifu) he has a lot of merit. (keep in mind I'm not like a fanboy of my teacher, I've watched him time & time again work badass people. People come to our school to challenge him/check him out, and I always enjoy watching him prove that he is a master.)

And I quote, "Bad Wing Chun is still Wing Chun". ;)

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
I took wing chun for a year while i was in high school, great stuff i might say. Reached to blue belt.

taught by a well known sifu.